Paypal doesn't like IE 5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alanwoollcombe

By easily-fixable, I mean that, if anything goes wrong, a novice like myself can easily find the information to fix it. Basic stuff, not anything that requires a programmer's skills.

None of the browsers I mentioned requires programmer's skills. Nothing requires advanced knowledge to run as all of them are available as binaries (double-click, they run). The only thing that comes remotely close is Mozilla, which offers configuration via script files or through the browser (about:config). Not to worry, most everything can be done through Preferences. About:Config is used when you ask people for help and something might be wrong they might say "Oh just turn off blah-de-blah in about:config).

Quote:

What worries me is when you say "they cut support long ago": if anything goes wrong, where would I be able to turn for advice? If it's minor and/or I can find solutions easily enough on forums such as this, then fine. Or then again, maybe I'm just worrying about something that's unlikely to happen.

Your running, essentially, a dead operating system. Where development from the parent company/group has ceased. Nothing wrong with that (I still use the BeOS) but you need to learn a bit more, find as many resources as you can and be strong about it. Essentially if all else fails you need to be self-reliant.

That said, you should have no problem finding fellow Mac OS 9 users that run Mozilla. "Cut support" may have been untrue, I'm not sure how the Mozilla Foundation handles support for older builds. What they did a while back was stop offering versions that would work on "classic" to clean things up. The code itself is still available for all platforms so there are groups that can still build the code into newer versions for Mac OS.

Quote:

As it happens, I've downloaded Mozilla Version 1.3.1 from Wamcom and am running it at the moment without problems. Do you know if this is the latest, stable version for OS 9?

Have no idea, I don't run OS 9 as a stand-alone except on a Power Mac 180/5400 at work. The lowest-spec machine I own is a Dual USB iBook 500MHz that runs Panther beautifully.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    Thanks so much for all that. It pretty well answers all my questions, and I'll risk (?) running Mozilla 1.3.1.