crossing the line

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I'm not happy with my hardware and OS's, and I've been thinking it's time for me to switch to Apple.

Of course, I have concerns as I do not know anything about Apple's products,-hardware and software-; however, responses I read in other posts with regard to these concerns are encouraging.

I currently use two laptops, both are relatively new. The keys on the keyboard on the first (smaller) device are falling off. The larger laptop does not have a functioning battery any longer(it died soon after warranty period expired), and I can't use it for more than a few hours at the time because it overheats; typing becomes a very uncomfortable experience. These computers are from a well known manufacturer.

The smaller system runs on Win-95; the larger one on Win-2000. I changed to Win-2k hoping to resolve the continuous crashes I experienced with the earlier windows version, and right now, I am in the process of reformatting the hard drive to reinstall the Win-2k OS for the 3rd time in less than 8 months.

I had it!

What are your experiences with Apple hardware? Are the keys fixed on the keyboard so these do not fall off? What about the heat dispersion on these? Do you find they overheat as mine do?

What can you tell me about the warranties and support? Do you have to wait a long time to access a support person?(I no longer have a wired phone and would not want to have long waiting time as it would eat into my contracted monthly cell time).

I really do not need a laptop, and being retired, I do not have to be 'attached' to a system all of the time, although it would be nice to take it along when I travel. My main use for a computer is for reading the news, e-mail communications, and other on-line activities such as banking etc. No, I do not do games.

What Apple system would you recommend?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i recommend either the 12" pbook or 15"pbook. the 12 inch is small, but still big enough to do everything you want. the 15 inch is nice because of the backlit keyboard and extra real estate. the keyboards are rock solid, and i only had a key fall off b/c i'm stupid and hit it the wrong way really hard (totally my fault). get applecare for sure, as it can save you tons of money, especially on a laptop. for home use, i recommend getting the bluetooth keyboard and mouse from apple--bring your 'book home, open it up, and you have your mouse and keyboard connected. i hope this helps
  • Reply 2 of 8
    i'd recommend the 15". Has a bunch of cool stuff, and it's the perfect size IMO for a laptop. Make sure you get at least 512MB's of ram.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I second 12" powerbook. It can do hardcore photoshopping. If you need to due multiple projects at the same time the 15" is the best. I have my 12" powerbook. It is a lifesaver. The backlit keyboard is cool. But, not neccesary a need. Unless you plan to do stuff in the dark.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Personally, I'd recommend an iBook because your requirements are not really that intensive. Save some $$ and go with what you need, the iBook.

Never had a problem with the keys.

Under real heavy usage my iBook can get a little hot (but so did my old Dell) but not hotter than any other laptop. Heat's not a problem 99.99% of the time for me.

As for the software--I chose my Apple because of OS X. I'm a Unix geek and I really love the fact that OS X is built upon one of the most rock solid OS's available.

I've haven't had any problems with my puter to date (kock on wood). Hopefully Apple will be as good as Dell was. My Dell laptop broke three times in the three year warranty period. My computer was fixed in all cases within a week (longest). The first repair was in home. I called Dell at noon and a guy was at my house by 5PM to replace my ZIP drive following the legendary click of death.

I hope Apple is as accomodating as Dell was (I think Dell is not so accomodating anymore though).

Good luck, and hope you enjoy your Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    rivalgrivalg Posts: 2member
    Thank you very much for your replies.

As important as the hardaware and operating systems are, I need to consider also customer service and support.

Are there long waiting queues when calling technical support, and do you get someone in India to answer these calls?

Could you please provide your opinions on that subject?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    fatmac84fatmac84 Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rivalg

Are there long waiting queues when calling technical support, and do you get someone in India to answer these calls?

It's been a long time since I've had to call for tech support. However, one of the great things (particularly with a notebook) you can just walk into an Apple Store and talk to someone at a genius bar. They can answer almost any question you would have.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    Quote:

As important as the hardaware and operating systems are, I need to consider also customer service and support.

A recent edition of Consumer Reports rated Apple the highest by far for all

computer manufactures in both telephone response times and tech help.

You will be surprised how seldom you need them. In 20 years of all macs

I have called them twice.

I don't care who answers as long as they are comptenent and speak English
  • Reply 8 of 8
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

I only had to call once. Not because of a problem but, to get the edu price because I didn't know about it before ordering. Very nice. He gave me the edu price. Apple people will be nice to you if your polite. if you call them saying," This piece of junk broke. This is the worst piece of machinery ever. **** you apple. This Lombard sucks ***." Then apple tech and support will be rude back.