Quicktime Movie of Lines Outside Apple Ginza Store...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
... waiting to buy an iPod mini. Go here:

http://homepage.mac.com/masanorif/iMovieTheater24.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Awesome, thanks for the link!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Insanity!

I can't believe the line stretches that far.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Does anyone know if they were sold out of iPod minis that day?

Here is an article with photos from the queue outside the store as well as from the inside. By looking at the store shelves I now know where my mini (a green one) has gone

Those Japanese shure know how to behave - imagine the brutal riots that would have taken place anywhere else in the world...

Edit: I wish I could write...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    RolandG,

I have a green one since February. Well, actually, it was replaced by Apple after the original one got the "static" problem a few months ago. The new one has performed flawlessly.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

RolandG,

I have a green one since February. Well, actually, it was replaced by Apple after the original one got the "static" problem a few months ago. The new one has performed flawlessly.

Well, mine is still on order. I had pre-ordered a green one along with the dock and the armband the minute I read that they would be released in Europe on the 24th at a local mac store that cooperates with my university's Mac user group and thus offers a Apple stuff at a discount.

It was supposed to be a gift for my girlfriend for her last med exam which she passed in February and her birthday (they were originally supposed to be available here in April).

In order to get the edu discount you need a letter from the user group which I could not provide at the day of the pre-order, but the sales man told me that it was ok if I had it on arrival.

He called me on Thursday to tell me two of the 100 pre-orders had arrived and one was for me. Further more he told me that they opened up the box to have a look which I thought was not polite - at least, ask you - and I thought we could get an additional discount or an other compensation.

We went to pick it up this past Saturday. They wanted to charge me the full price or make me wait an other two month to get the edu discount. When I mentioned that the unit was opened and not in "brand new" condition (they even took the wrap of the iPod itself) the sales man told me he had enough pre-orders and he cancelled the deal.

I ended up ordering it through the Apple Online Store for education and it is estimated to ship on or before August 20th.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Hi RolandG,

which store in Cologne was that?

I would like to know where not to by.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

Hi RolandG,

which store in Cologne was that?

I would like to know where not to by.

Hi BKA!

A pleasure to hear from you again!

It was teampoint, Weidengasse (close to the Saturn at Hansaring).

By the way, are you in anyway affiliated to the BKA?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Thanks Roland,

my brother bought his iBook there (because of the edu discount, too). Not very friendly.

First letters of my name.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by bka77

Thanks Roland,

my brother bought his iBook there (because of the edu discount, too). Not very friendly.

Which is sad... considering that most retailers are complaining about the market situatuion, I just don't understand their behavior. Do they really think they can attract and bind customers that way?

But most Mac retailers seem to have this unfriendly, impolite, elitist attitude - Graivs in Bonn or Cologne aren't any better.

By the way, what is your brother studying and where?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    He was studying in Bonn, but now works in the Maritim Hotel in Cologne.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    They do that in Mexico too. I bought my PowerBook at the campus store. It was opened. I complained and they said they were opened to check everything was in the box or some insane crap like that. It pissed me off and I think it was very unprofessional and unpolite. The machine was brand new anyway, so I took it because I really needed it and because I had waited enough for it already.