WANTED: iPod with Radio

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey Apple,

congratulations to your iPod Success Story. Though, I am impatiently waiting for an iPod with Radio.

I'd buy it immediately!

Has anyone heared of an iPod with Radio in the future?

MaSa

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Would be nice for some users, myself included.

Also note that it would neccessitate that Apple manufacture multiple versions to be compatible with the various spectrums worldwide.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    well the whole point of having 10000 songs on an ipod is so you can be your own DJ. i didnt buy an ipod and songs from iTMS to listen to someone else playing music for me. i can choose my own music.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    masa_demasa_de Posts: 8member
    Of course, the main purpose of a radio would not be listening to music. When I run around with a PDM (personal digital media player) that cost me 300 bugs I'd like to receive news and other information as well.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    I don't think a radio is too likely for two reasons. First, it does defeat the purpose of the iPod. Having most or all of your music with you means never wanting/needing a commerical music source (actually there was a recent article that said radio listening was falling off due in part to iPod use). Second, it's too easy to buy a third-party addon to listen to radio.

Personally, if it means adding any size, weight or cost to the iPod, I hope they don't add a radio.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The quality of radio reception on various MP3 players is only poor to good. Why bother? As mentioned, if you must have it buy a third party add on.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Buy a boombox and a shoulder strap.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Agree with the recommendation to get a 3rd party add on. i would bet, however, that most people who go this route find that they don't listen to radio all that much - especially if they have a decent CD collection.

I vote to keep pushing the size of the iPod down and retaining the elegant design.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    xterra48xterra48 Posts: 169member
    Even though i enjoy beaming my Ipod to my car stereo (thats radio by the way) I often enjoy the morning show on my local classic rock station as well as listening to news and the Mets game, this feature built into the ipod would be very convenient for some, and the wheel would be great for tunning!
  • Reply 9 of 33
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Grey

I don't think a radio is too likely for two reasons. First, it does defeat the purpose of the iPod. Having most or all of your music with you means never wanting/needing a commerical music source (actually there was a recent article that said radio listening was falling off due in part to iPod use). Second, it's too easy to buy a third-party addon to listen to radio.

Personally, if it means adding any size, weight or cost to the iPod, I hope they don't add a radio.

I'd love to have an FM tuner incorporated into future iPods. Of course, not at the expense of making the iPod into some behemoth size. But really, how big is a tuner chip?

I don't necessarily want to buy every song that I remotely enjoy on the radio. As well, I do enjoy some talk radio programs too.

Also, if it's so easy to buy an add on, why hasn't anyone done so? And note, I'm talking about an FM Receiver, not a transmitter.

Maybe someone can post a link to one of these add ons.

• Reply 10 of 33
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I wouldn't mind a radio iPod. When I go to the gym I'd like to hear the tv

while using the exersize bikes.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    halsehalse Posts: 53member
    lets see, the case is metal so where does the antenna go?

I, for one, would never use a radio function, what makes the iPod so useful is that it does one thing really well

you can get a really small AM/FM radio for about $30 at any of the usual places (and plug it into the iPod earphones if you want)
  • Reply 12 of 33
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Make this thread a poll.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    bryan.furybryan.fury Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masa_de

Has anyone heared of an iPod with Radio in the future?

i think it is quite likely that the iPod will become the radio that you are looking for.

add some wireless to it, and give it the ability to send and receive streams from other iPods. scan for available signals on your iPod and listen in.

of course there would have to be some kind of means to disable "broadcasting" for privacy purposes and to limit it to certain groups or such.

and when your in range of internet you can pick up internet radio streams.

i'd like that
  • Reply 14 of 33
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    I'll say noPod to the radioPod..

10,000 songs in your pocket, not the same damn 5 played over and over again!
  • Reply 15 of 33
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xterra48

Even though i enjoy beaming my Ipod to my car stereo (thats radio by the way) I often enjoy the morning show on my local classic rock station as well as listening to news and the Mets game, this feature built into the ipod would be very convenient for some, and the wheel would be great for tunning!

well it sounds like you can just use the radio in your car, since thats where you are during the shows.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    i guess my post was probably not very clear ...

what i mean is that your iPod already is a radio station - it's your veryown radio station.

so far, you are the only one that can listen to your station, but imagine if other iPods within range could listen-to/receive your radio station a.k.a. iPod and vice versa?

sitting in the subway on the way to work, scan the other iPods in your car. listen to what others are listening to ...

10.000 songs? how about 50.000? hear stuff that you would never have known otherwise. save the info of the stuff you like to a list in your iPod. go home sync with iTunes. download the stuff on your list from the iTunesMusicStore.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    I wouldn't want other iPod users draining my battery life by streaming my music to them.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    as i said there would have to be a means to turn the stream on/off.

i can imagine though that there are situations where sharing your music (taste) could be fun.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    xterra48xterra48 Posts: 169member
    -ipodandimac

What i meant was for the times im not in my car, on the train, traveling, excercizing.

for rest of you arguing against radio integration, you miss the point. Not all of us want to listen to music all day long, talk shows, political commentary, NPR and sports games are all enjoyable listening, until these things are pre-recorded and automatically sent to my computer and then transferred to my ipod, radio is still the only outlet. Besides it is simpler too.

-halse

Quote:

what makes the iPod so useful is that it does one thing really well

I guess you dont like the calendar, games, or contacts features. The ipod is a Swiss-army knife already, and the radio would be one more useful tool.

one question: How come whenever radios are integrated into mp3 players they only have FM. If a $15 radio/cassette walkman can have AM why not mp3 players.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I want an FM and maybe AM tuner on the iPod as a choice.

Make earphone cords that also act as an antennae. All fo the internals could fit into the original iPod size, which is just fine, and there would have to be a new port for the earphones.

I like to listen to NPR, Air America, weather when mountain-climbing/camping and the local jazz/blues station. I will never be able to hold or buy as much music as I want to hear.

I would also like to digitally record some radio talkshows 'a la TiVo style. That would be COOL and can't be that hard!