iMacs of 2003

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    When I told my girlfriend that next year the iMacs might all be 17", she insisted on buying a 15" model right away, fearing they might not be available next year (this was in September i think). She uses a computer for basic stuff, and like many users, has no need whatsoever for the 17" screen. Further, she prefers the looks of the 15", citing the 17" "isn't as cute"

So, Apple, keep the iMac 15" on the lowend (as suggested by others)
  • Reply 62 of 89
    [quote]Originally posted by @homenow:

<strong>

That depends on the market that Apple is going for. From someone who works at a large publications developer I think that a G4 iMac with a 17" pivot screen (stanadard, not widescreen) and a 1.2 Ghz processor would make a wonderfull page production computer. If they added video spanning, which is supported in most of the video cards today, then that would make it even better, by adding a second 15" "pallet" monitor on the side. The problem with the pivot screens though, is that it takes a decent abount of engineering to get the contacts, and pivot sensors working reliably, and the market appeal is limited. This would also probably take some sales away from the PowerMac line.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats why they have the 'consumer' line of products and the 'professional' line of products. the people who do intensive desktop publishing..... like publishers and the like then to be called professionals and hence have been catered to by the Apple 'professional line'. BUt yes, i do agree that monitor spanning is a feature left out on purpose which is very annoying, they should definately include that feature with a VGA-out (iBook style)

[ 12-08-2002: Message edited by: Hawkeye_a ]</p>
  • Reply 63 of 89
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

Now imagine Joe Consumer or whoever. A lady I work with was asking me about Macs. She - because of what some guy at some store told her - "needs" to get a G4 (this lady is e-mail/surfing/Quicken, 100%). Now, she's looking at some overpriced/underpowered G4 tower and a monitor.

I explain to her that an eMac is probably more what she wants. She a) didn't know they even exist and b) wonders "why does it have a G4 in it?".

Granted, silly questions (from a silly person), but trying to explain Apple's lineup and divisions between the models and all is so confusing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

There's.. heh, more than one?

(Come on.. someone has to know what I'm talking about.)
  • Reply 64 of 89
    Okay, I'll chime in too:

$1199

15"

800MHz

40GB

256MB

100MHz bus

Combo Drive (slot loading)

$1499

17" WS

800MHz

60GB

256MB

100MHz bus

Super Drive (slot loading)

$1999

19" WS

900MHz

100GB

512MB

133MHz bus

Super Drive (slot loading)

And I'll buy the $1999.

P.S. I also agree that you are likely to see some minor revisions to the physical design. That is pretty typically of Apple as they make design/manufacturing improvements. Might even see an elimination of the fan.

P.P.S. The one thing I really like about Apple is seeing this small, subtle changes. It shows they are really thinking through the WHOLE product. Every detail. They don't always get it right. But mostly they do. The iPod is an example, working on making it thinner, improved thumbwheel, etc. Small power supply improvements, etc.
  • Reply 65 of 89
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Good God, NO SLOT LOADING DRIVES, for the Pete of Sake, have just a little common sense!
  • Reply 66 of 89
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Good God, NO SLOT LOADING DRIVES, for the Pete of Sake, have just a little common sense!</strong><hr></blockquote>

PLEASE...educate me then.
  • Reply 67 of 89
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chris Cuilla:

<strong>

PLEASE...educate me then.</strong><hr></blockquote>

they're slower, don't take all cds, there's more reasons but those are the main ones why i don't like them.
  • Reply 68 of 89
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chris Cuilla:

<strong>

PLEASE...educate me then.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Slot loads cause a lot of problems, mostly EUMs (End-User Malfunctions ).

For one thing, some of the promotional CDs that are passed out at expos, in cereal boxes, etc. are not the standard size. You've got the mini 3" round CDs, the buisness-card shaped CDs and many, many others. None of which work in a slot load... but people keep trying! Putting slot-loads in the original iMacs was a big mistake, and people still try to stick the non-standard discs in there, then get pissed when it takes a week to get the drive repaired.

Also, people sometimes change their mind about what disc they need to put in. With tray loads, they just push the button to cancel it going in. With slot-loads though, people get the urge to try and pull it back out instead of letting it go. Which results in damaged motors and drives.
  • Reply 69 of 89
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    3" mini-cd's work in my iMac DV+
  • Reply 70 of 89
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    CHIME CHIME CHIME

I'd like to see a 15 with more stuff or instead of a 19 get the 17 with faster drive, bluetooth keyboard etc. some don't need the bigger screens (like me) If speed won't impress "bluetooth and superdrive" adds pazazz. Apple can steal MS thunder by a better box and neat stuff like bluetooth and superdrive upgrades. people are beginning to realize that speed isn't everything, for most 1gz works, its the video card, cdrw/dvd r speed, and features to make it better (bluetooth wireless everthing) remember with bluetooth the phone syncs, wireless printer, keyboard now that would make more people look to apple.

What say you?

As an example, my nephew looked to a new laptop, after the computer guys talking gz and after 3 returns, he learned the speed doesn't matter for him he needed a good video card. the 2.4gz worked less than the 1.8 because the 1.8 had the superior video card.
  • Reply 71 of 89
    jdbonjdbon Posts: 109member
    Well it is almost guaranteed that Apple will update the imac line in January (if they don't well, that would be really stupid.) Anyway here are my predictions/hopes:

$999

800/133

256/40

15inch LCD

CDRW

32MB Geforce2MX

Pro Speakers

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

$1299

1ghz/133

512/60

64mb Geforce4mx

Combo

17inch widescreen

$1499

1.2ghz/133

512/80

64mb Geforce4mx

Superdrive

17inch Widescreen

$1799

1.2ghz/133

512/120

128mb Radeon 9500

Superdrive

19inch widescreen

$699

eMac 700/100

Geforce2MX 32mb

128mb/40

CD/RW

wired keyboard/mouse

$899

eMac 800/100

geforce2MX 32mb

256mb/60

combo

wired keyboard mouse

I know I know, these are very optimistic, but after a year without updates, the iMac needs a significant update.
  • Reply 72 of 89
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Put down the pipe.

It's Apple, gang. I mean get a honest grip on reality here and think back. Have they ever, in one fell swoop, so drastically upped specs/features AND dropped prices like some of you are predicting?

No.

Let's grab the reins just a bit here. What we'll see, in all probability, are modest 100MHz speed bumps (yeah, it sucks...but that's just what they do. Check your recent history). About the only "staggering" thing they might do is announce that "all iMacs, except for the low-end entry level model, will now come with the 17" widescreen".

To Jobs, THAT'S "revolutionary" or hype-worthy.

Think about it. Think back over the past 2, 3 or 4 years and remember how torqued up we tend to get and as January and July near, we're all slinging out some amazing shit and "what if" scenarios.

Then the keynote comes and it's NEVER (I mean NEVER) ANYWHERE close to what we're all hoping/believing/praying/begging/predicting, etc.

Not being a wet blanket. Just living in the real world here.

I think the "just one more thing..." at MWSF will indeed be something rather cool and unexpected. And a bit of a showstopper. But the iMac will simply be given a standard rev of: MHz bump, hard drive boost, maybe Pro Speakers shipping on all models, graphic card upgrade on several models, etc. Nothing mind-blowing, I'm sure.
  • Reply 73 of 89
    Oh, and no "colors" either. First person that says that gets a patented Moe Howard roundhouse slap and eye poke.

• Reply 74 of 89
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>What we'll see, in all probability, are modest 100MHz speed bumps (yeah, it sucks...but that's just what they do. Check your recent history).

I think the "just one more thing..." at MWSF will indeed be something rather cool and unexpected. </strong><hr></blockquote>

True. Very true. However, lately, the "just one more thing" hasn't even surfaced...so I'm not sure if MWSF will be anything more a software and speed bumped show.
  • Reply 75 of 89
    Yeah, but hasn't there been (even from Jobs himself) that Apple is "hard at work" on some new things for 2003? Or something along those lines?

This was in summer, during that phone call thing and during an interview. Seems to makes sense that this "whatever it is" would get unveiled in Frisco?

It's been several months now. I'm sure it'll be a new digital device of some sort.

Maybe? Kinda? Hoping?

• Reply 76 of 89
    2003 iMac FP (entry model):

o IBM G3 1 GHz

o 15" FP LCD

o 2 Accessible RAM Slots

o No Fan

o $850

Did you think an iMac could fly? (off the shelves)
  • Reply 77 of 89
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    preliminary iMac prediction for january 2003 without putting much thought into it

iMac:15 inch

867 Mhz

256 MB RAM

60GB HD

Slot loading Combo Drive

ATI Radeon 9000 32 MB

133 Mhz Bus

56K Modem

Firewire 2

USB

$1199

iMac: 17 inch

1Ghz G4

256 MB RAM

80 GB HD

Slot Loading Superdrive

ATI Radeon 9000 64MB

133 Mhz Bus

56K Modem

Firewire 2

USB

$1599

iMac: 19 inch

1Ghz G4

512 MB RAM

120GB HD

Slot Loading Superdrive

Geforce 4 Ti 64 MB

133 Mhz Bus

56K Modem

Firewire 2

USB

$1999
  • Reply 78 of 89
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I hope you are right Applenut, but I am sure we will get Bluetooth. It looks as though SJ has recognised that the PDA is dead and that the PDA-Phone' is the future. That being the case every machine is going to need Bluetooth.

I can't remember who sugested a wireless keyboard and mouse, but I think that is an awful idea. The keyboard USB port is just too useful to be dispensed with. As for having the batteries run out in my keyboard, forget it.
  • Reply 79 of 89
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think the eMacs are a bit of a waste. 2 years ago, when they should have come out at least with the 17" crt if not the G4, they would have been something, but not today. There are plenty of affordable LCD options now, and I'd rather see a 999 15" LCD iMac (with a decent spec and combo) than an eMac of the same price. LCD is just a better option for 99% of uses out there, even if it costs a little more, it's way easier on the eyes than even the best CRT. I have a LCD's at work, and a very nice CRT at home, and the LCD's are just easier on the eyes. Very good for the home user.

There realy isn't anything in the lower iMac to warrant the price. Amorph, I don't think they sell too well at 15" because they simply cost too much. If you're going to buy a basically un-upgradeable computer you might as well spend more and get DVD burning, a faster CPU, more storage, more RAM, and a LARGER SCREEN in the process.

Apple is not flexible enough in their configurations. If the prices were right, they would sell better. People buy the low end iBooks up at a decent pace, why? Price. mebbe someday Stevie-boy will learn, untill then market-share will continue to shrink.

[ 12-16-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 80 of 89
    The problem with 15" LCD screens is that they aren't being made any more (or are about to be discontinued by the half-dozen companies that make them). So, I doubt Apple will have such a model. 1 GHZ top end with faster buss and faster Superdrive. Slot loading. New gen of old iApps plus a new one. Design change across the board (the 17" model has a slightly different config for the screen then the original 15"). A 19" Top End model, probably available in early Spring.

Pricing listed on this thread is too optimistic.