Need a Video Capture Device...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
...for my G5. I've tried several, including a Pyro AV. The issue I am running into is that I am pulling the video from old tapes, and I keep losing the signal. It's weird, because on my old G3 with built-in AV, I never have a problem with that.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Thanks,

RD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RDReynolds

...for my G5. I've tried several, including a Pyro AV. The issue I am running into is that I am pulling the video from old tapes, and I keep losing the signal. It's weird, because on my old G3 with built-in AV, I never have a problem with that.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Thanks,

RD

so the pyro av link is crap? good to know cause i was jsut about to buy it. \

i think acer makes a reliable one...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The Pyro AV is a really nice unit...if you're capturing from super clean originals. I am capturing from VHS tapes of TV shows I recorded 10-15 years ago. I simply could not get the unit to hold its signal, so it continually cut out. I had a similar unit from Canopus that did the exact same thing.

The best part was when I called Pyro tech support. They said, and I quote, "The problem is our unit is TOO GOOD for your tapes."

Ummm, ok...

RD
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Anyone else have any suggestions?

RD
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kwsn_hgskwsn_hgs Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RDReynolds

Anyone else have any suggestions?

RD

Hmmmmmm. I haven't tried it on ancient tapes yet but did buy it for that purpose (been waiting since Jan for my revB powermac) but I've had excellent luck with the Canopus ADVC-100. Use it at work on "old" tapes and intend to use it to convert my ancient tapes (when the G5 shows up) and have been pleased with it's performance on old tapes thusfar. No muss, no fuss.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Canopus as listed above, the 50/55 can get sync probs the 100 and 300 are perfecto.

or

buy a hdd dvd recorder and tx tapes to the recorders hdd then firewire into imovie.. making sure the recorder supports it of course.. i.e. Pioneer DVR510H.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    Could you hook your VCR up to a DV Cam and go about it that way?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by JMoney

Could you hook your VCR up to a DV Cam and go about it that way?

I don't have a DV cam...8(

Would I need to dump things to a tape and then convert, or could it go directly through?

RD