iMacs of 2003

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    no offense... but that arguement of 15 inch displays being discontinued seems like bullshit.

there will be 15 inch displays for a long time more. i remember people saying the 15 inch CRT for the iMac was going to be discontinued.... looks like its still in use....
  • Reply 82 of 89
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>Then the keynote comes and it's NEVER (I mean NEVER) ANYWHERE close to what we're all hoping/believing/praying/begging/predicting, etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Perhaps we have become too unrealistic in our expectations.

The simple truth is that MOST people have more than enough computer for MOST of their needs (and wants) today.

Thus arguments and debates about MHz/GHz/etc. are largely silly.

[ 12-16-2002: Message edited by: Chris Cuilla ]</p>
  • Reply 83 of 89
    [quote]Originally posted by Chris Cuilla:

<strong>

Perhaps we have become too unrealistic in our expectations.

The simple truth is that MOST people have more than enough computer for MOST of their needs (and wants) today.

Thus arguments and debates about MHz/GHz/etc. are largely silly.

[ 12-16-2002: Message edited by: Chris Cuilla ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

you're argument is even sillier.

why pay more for less? why shouldn't less cost less?

i would have no problem with apple only being able to ship dual 1.2 ghz machines if they didn't cost 3000+

not only are they way behind, they are way more expensive.... doesn't add up...

and the iMac is at 800Mhz... 800... that's sad.... i don't care how suitable it is for everyday tasks... that 800Mhz G4 ain't competiting with ANY computer in the iMac's price range
  • Reply 84 of 89
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    10 years from now, we will have just about enough computing power to do most any A/V task to the consumers satisfaction. It took about that much time to bring Office up to instant gratification, and will take a similar amount to get 2-d, 3-d, video and audio work up to the same nearly "instant" click to finish level of reponsiveness. Some people working in 2-d and simple print work now have just about enough power, but anybody working on large/complex high quality print work, still does a lot of finger tapping, as do people waiting for video, and especially those doing 3-D. Untill those functions are near instantaneous 99% of the time, computers are not fast enough yet.
  • Reply 85 of 89
    [quote] and the iMac is at 800Mhz... 800... that's sad.... i don't care how suitable it is for everyday tasks... that 800Mhz G4 ain't competiting with ANY computer in the iMac's price range <hr></blockquote>

buy one...you will love it....everyone who has seen or used my iMac lcd has loved it....after they see my iMovies, my iDVD's and homepage, they are all envious and wish they had bought macs...i have 3 people in the family back east who all say they are buying macs when they get a new computer because i can do things they can't....g

ps...i do care how suitable it is for everyday tasks...that's what i use it for....
  • Reply 86 of 89
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>

buy one...you will love it....everyone who has seen or used my iMac lcd has loved it....after they see my iMovies, my iDVD's and homepage, they are all envious and wish they had bought macs...i have 3 people in the family back east who all say they are buying macs when they get a new computer because i can do things they can't....g

ps...i do care how suitable it is for everyday tasks...that's what i use it for....</strong><hr></blockquote>

i don't care if i'll love it... i do love it... i love my performa 6360.... but that doesn't mean its a good deal and worth the money and competitive
  • Reply 87 of 89
    i agree and disagree with you....the price has come down since i bought mine...and i expect the specs to go up next month....but people who own a "better" pc than mine still can't easily do the things i can do....for them, they should have bought an iMac....everybody in my family back east (4 pcs, no apples) would be better served at what they do if they had my iMac....that said...i would love more power, more speed, cheaper prices and faster burning of cds (superdrive is slow at that...i have a 40x burner on my pc at work...of course it can't make dvd's, so it is a trade off i guess)...can't wait for the 970 to come out...will happily move this iMac to one of the kids room and plop that puppy right here....and the kids will have this wonderful iMac to get them through high school....g

ps...it' late back east boy, go to bed

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 88 of 89
    Computers are certainly not fast enough yet.

No instant boot. One component or another holding the other back. Memory and Bus seem snail slow on the iMac.

I have an Athlon 1.6 XP. Tom's Hardware.com have a (admittedly, specially cooled...) 4 gig Pentium 4 that wipes the floor with my 1.6 gig by a factor of x3 on Lightwave rendering! That's a big saving. Especially on hour plus renders. (It must also be noted that Newtek have gone to town on the optimising Lightwave for the Pentium 4 SIMD unit...)

Conclusion? iMac flat nowhere near fast enough for its price. Can't upgrade motherboard/cpu or graphics card. This is poor. If you have built in obseletism, then at least have something that isn't already out of date!) Still, it's the price you pay for a lifestyle device?

I eagerly await a 970 in an iMac flat. They would fly off the shelves! I'd buy in a heart beat. I guess we'll have 970 (IBM)/9700 Pro (Ati) towers long before then...

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. I'd really like to see the eMac replace the classic iMac and the flat iMac's driven down into that price bracket like the original iMacs were. The Cube pricing on the iMac flat is wearing thin. And fer gerd's sake, get the low end tower down by a couple of hundred. Way overpriced, no monitor...moan...moan.

PPS. To actually address the thread, I'd like to see faster motherboard 133/167 at least and 1 gig to 1.25 gig processors in the line. Or better cpus from somewhere... And get a Geforce Ti 4 in the line up fer cryin' out loud! At least at the top. And stick me a 19 inch on the top while we're at it. I'd like to display a standard 1200 by 1024 res' if ya don't mind... Yeesh, will this Jobs fella ever listen?

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: Lemon Bon Bon ]

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: Lemon Bon Bon ]</p>
  • Reply 89 of 89
    Applenut,

There have numerous articles about the LCD manufacturers stopping 15" LCD display production in the past months. You know they make these displays on large sheets and then cut them down to various sizes. As far as Apple, they had the 15" CRT's made especially for them. In any event, we'll know in a couple of weeks.