Merged: Motorola And Apple Join Forces For iTunes on Next Gen Mobile Phones

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Motorla wants iTunes music

Quote:

Motorola, Inc. and Apple® today announced they are partnering to enable millions of music lovers to transfer their favorite songs from the iTunes® jukebox on their PC or Mac®, including songs from the iTunes Music Store, to Motorola?s next-generation ?always with you? mobile handsets, via a USB or Bluetooth connection. Apple will create a new iTunes mobile music player, which Motorola will make the standard music application on all their mass-market music phones, expected to be available in the first half of next year.

Well this is great news! Could Kormac be right. Is Quicktime 7 going to power more portable devices? Stay tuned.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    This certainly came out of the blue!

Motorola and Apple Bring iTunes Music Player to Motorola?s Next-Generation Mobile Phones

ROSEMONT, Illinois and CUPERTINO, California?July 26, 2004?Motorola, Inc. and Apple® today announced they are partnering to enable millions of music lovers to transfer their favorite songs from the iTunes® jukebox on their PC or Mac®, including songs from the iTunes Music Store, to Motorola?s next-generation ?always with you? mobile handsets, via a USB or Bluetooth connection. Apple will create a new iTunes mobile music player, which Motorola will make the standard music application on all their mass-market music phones, expected to be available in the first half of next year. _

?We can?t think of a more natural partnership than this one with Apple, the brand synonymous with easy-to-use, legal music downloading, and Motorola, the innovator in mobile technology,? said Ed Zander, Chairman and CEO, Motorola. ?Being able to transfer songs you?ve purchased from iTunes to Motorola mobile handsets expands the market reach for both of us and drives new revenue for customers, delivering an amazing music experience to millions of wireless users.?

?We are thrilled to be working with Motorola to enable millions of music lovers to transfer any of their favorite songs from iTunes on their PC or Mac to Motorola?s next-generation mobile phones,? said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. ?The mobile phone market?with 1.5 billion subscribers expected worldwide by the end of 2004?is a phenomenal opportunity to get iTunes in the hands of even more music lovers around the world and we think Motorola is the ideal partner to kick this off.?

Motorola, Inc. is a global leader in wireless, broadband and automotive communications technologies that help make life smarter, safer, simpler, synchronized and fun._Sales in 2003 were US $27.1 billion._Motorola creates innovative technological solutions that benefit people at home, at work and on the move._The company also is a progressive corporate citizen dedicated to operating ethically, protecting the environment and supporting the communities in which it does business._

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    discodisco Posts: 83member
    I guess QuickTime 7 has been re-architected. They're fitting at least part of it on a cell-phone!
  • Reply 3 of 35
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    that is indeed huge news. first instance of apple supporting Fairplay on a non apple device.

i think this also kills any chance of an apple phone
  • Reply 4 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

that is indeed huge news. first instance of apple supporting Fairplay on a non apple device.

i think this also kills any chance of an apple phone

No it increases the chances of a Apple phone. The work to support iTunes is there and always had been. Apple's iPod division is going to try and license the dickens out of Fairplay/AAC. Once thats done they can entertain the idea of making a product themselves.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

No it increases the chances of a Apple phone. The work to support iTunes is there and always had been. Apple's iPod division is going to try and license the dickens out of Fairplay/AAC. Once thats done they can entertain the idea of making a product themselves.

i really dont see that. Apple doesnt seem to have even the temptation of doing this. they are making alliances and creating standards for everyone. it doesn't look like they want to make the actual phones. They'd much prefer everyone pay them for licensing. in other words, it seems they are trying to out microsoft microsoft. jobs isn't dumb, don't make the same mistakes twice.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by disco

I guess QuickTime 7 has been re-architected. They're fitting at least part of it on a cell-phone!

We'll know soon enough. I'm excited about seeing the first Fairplay/AAC licensee though! I agree with Kormac that QT7 is going to be a unique beast. I think Apple might keep QT7 announcements until MWSF 2005.

I don't think this rules out an Apple phone. I never expected for Apple to have a phone in 2005 myself. But I think it's inevitable that Apple will have to move in this direction. Cell users generaly do not want to cary two small devices. The trend will be to combine them eventually. Apple needs to be in this space. It's far more important than Tablet PCs and other overhyped garbage.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    I wonder if Apple will release iTunes Music Player for Motorola phones before they add iSync/Finder support for my V400 The V300 and V500 have been out for a long time now, and they've been neglected by Apple too.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    The timing of this announcement seems like it was meant to knock the wind out of Real's iPod compatibility story.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    I agree that they should focus on licensing. I just worry(probably needlessly) that one day we'll wake up and find that phones are acceptable for listening to music thus precipitating a drop in iPod sales.

I'm sure Apple will do what is right for their needs. It that means licensing AAC and staying out the market then that's that.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    This development makes me wonder if all we need for an Apple phone is one of these upcoming Motorola phones with an Apple logo and an OS/Interface that is as better than anything else out there, as the iPod was to other MP3 players when it was first released.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Sorry for the cross-post. I'm sure a mod will merge the threads eventually.

This development makes me wonder if all we need for an Apple phone is one of these upcoming Motorola phones with an Apple logo and an OS/Interface that is as better than anything else out there, as the iPod was to other MP3 players when it was first released.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Sorry for the cross-post. I'm sure a mod will merge the threads eventually.

Something like this one?V3
  • Reply 13 of 35
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Must have !.. must win lotto or get current work phone driven over by forklift!

That is a nice looking bit of kit !

*sighs*
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Check out the video at http://www.videonewswire.com/motorola/motomedia/
  • Reply 15 of 35
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    $700 ?!?!?!?!?!?!?
  • Reply 16 of 35
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Bloody hell!

The 3GPP mobile media standard is based on QuickTime. Implement that on a phone and most of the work is done already. There's already an entire architecture of servers, files and players in existence.

All you need is FairPlay.

Bet you a tenner that a version of iTunes does automatic transcoding of a playlist called "My Phone" into lo-fat 3GPP files, DRM'd out the wazoo.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    heifetzheifetz Posts: 26member
    Motorola and Apple? Wtf? Apple's reputation is going doooown...

They should've chosen better -> Nokia. Both Apple and Nokia produce well designed and functional products aimed at the more design- and quality conscious consumer. Their co-operation in such a venture would've been more natural, imho. Motorola is hardly a company that puts impressive amounts of effort into their products' design.

.h
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

$700 ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I doubt it'll go for more than $200 "with activation and contract". The providers can't get camera-phones into subscribers' hands fast enough, so they will start using billable bandwidth to send those wonderful pictures to all their friends.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    (Merged and moved to Digital Hub)