Ipod Playlists

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can I still create playlists in itunes for my ipod after i delete the songs from my library? It looks like if my library I dont have a way to organize playlists.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Sorry for all the newb questions, but I need helping understanding itunes a little better.

This is what i understand from trial and error.

If I delete music from the library in itunes, it deletes it off my ipod. (tell me if that correct because i did that when my ipod was hooked up to my laptop and i lost all my music.) Anyway if i go into finder and find the folder of the music i want to delete, and delete it that way the songs stay in my library and they dont get deleted off my ipod.

Can someone set me straight thanks
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The way I understand it, the iPod's content is a mirror of your iTunes library. Whatever is in the library, goes to the iPod (except you change the iTunes preferences and select which playlists to upload to the iPod). But if you delete the file from the Finder, then there's no way it will remain on the iPod because it will be gone from the iTunes library.

Is that what you mean?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    thats what i understand, buts whats the correct way to upload music to my ipod then delete it off my computer to save space?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sroachsroach Posts: 105member
    I don't think you want to use finder and delete song, those songs will show up with a ! in front of the name and eventually be deleted from the database.

When you first connect your iPod to your Mac it is set to Automatically Update your music, meaning every time you connect the iPod everything is copied and/or deleted.

What you want to do is switch it to Manually Update the iPod.

Click here to see the docs
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks I will have to try that.