my first apple product...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just purchased my first Apple product, i got a 14" 1GHz iBook, it isnt going to be here till Wednesday, so I just have to wait, I hate looking at the FedEx shipping details and seeing that my precious computer is just sitting in PA all weekend.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaturalElement

I just purchased my first Apple product, i got a 14" 1GHz iBook, it isnt going to be here till Wednesday, so I just have to wait, I hate looking at the FedEx shipping details and seeing that my precious computer is just sitting in PA all weekend.

well, drive to pa, pick it up monday morning, use it to blog the rest of your road trip...
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Congrats!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    woo hoo! it came this morning while I was in the shower! 1 day early!!

I got it from ebay, the auction said that it was the 1ghz model but it is actually the 1.2 ghz, so another bonus!

I am at work reinstalling os x because everywhere I turned it had the original owners name.

It is almost done and I will begin using it.

My airport extreme card is also in the mail.

I am just so excited.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    sroachsroach Posts: 105member
    Your next post better come from the Mac!!!!

Congratz!!!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    If anyone can help me please let me know, on the log-in screen it has a name, and it is the original owners name, I deleted all the old users, but it still has the original owner registered as the "owner". I cant figure out how to change this, if anyone knows what im talking about please help!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Open up System Preferences, go to the Accounts palette, and change the name where it says "name".

Changing the "short" name (the UNIX user name) is a bit more involved, so you might want to follow the hint given here
  • Reply 7 of 16
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Did you restore your ibook, or just re-install OS X? If the latter, then do a restore with your restore disks that came with your ibook, or that should have come with your ibook, and there it will reset it as if it were the first day anyone touched it....Have fun, and congrats!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I thought I was restoring it back to when it comes from apple, it acted like it was reinstalling everyhing but after it was finished it looked exactly the same as originally.

How do I restore it back to when it first comes from apple?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

I thought I was restoring it back to when it comes from apple, it acted like it was reinstalling everyhing but after it was finished it looked exactly the same as originally.

How do I restore it back to when it first comes from apple?

if you want to wipe it clean there is a option to set your drive to all zero's when installing, will wipe out everything but takes longer to zero the drive. formatting the drive and then the OS installation. many answers are in the help file located at the top right of your screen when not in any application. warning this will wipe out everything and then what you have is a empty drive with your OS on it.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    haunebuhaunebu Posts: 40member
    No need to zero the drive - I don't think that's even an option with Mac OS X. Just hit the options button and choose "Erase and install" during the installation process. Doesn't take more than a few extra seconds.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

if you want to wipe it clean there is a option to set your drive to all zero's when installing, will wipe out everything but takes longer to zero the drive. formatting the drive and then the OS installation. many answers are in the help file located at the top right of your screen when not in any application. warning this will wipe out everything and then what you have is a empty drive with your OS on it.

Alternatively, when you run the installer, select the options button down the bottom of the penultimate (?) window, and choose to do an "Archive and Install", and deselect "Save User and Network Settings".

This will remove all the users and all of their preferences (plus the entirety of the old system), and place them in /Previous Systems/Previous System n/.

In doing so, it deletes all users, giving you a fresh slate to start with ? but saving any potentially important information in case you ever need to retrieve it.

This is what I'd ordinarily recommend in any case.

If you don't actually have anything on the disk that you want to keep, erasing can't hurt. It's almost certainly not necessary, however.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    So is there no way to change where it says:

"Joe Schmoe's Computer"

on the Log-in screen?

I cant find the name that is in there anywhere under the Accounts section.

Everything under there is under my name.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

So is there no way to change where it says:

"Joe Schmoe's Computer"

on the Log-in screen?

I cant find the name that is in there anywhere under the Accounts section.

Everything under there is under my name.

Crap, that's the network name.

Go to System Preferences > Sharing and change the Computer Name setting up the top to whatever you want you computer's network name to be (for me, it's Irrumator on my laptop and Inigo on my desktop... use your imagination).
  • Reply 14 of 16
    THATS IT, thanks so much for the help.

I cant wait to start exploring this OS, it is my first experience with OSX
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

THATS IT, thanks so much for the help.

I cant wait to start exploring this OS, it is my first experience with OSX

Have fun.

If you're really looking to "explore" your OS in a deep-and-meaningful fashion, there's an enormous collection of hints/suggestions/how-to's over at macosxhints (be sure to read the reader comments though ? some of the hints are a bit shonk).
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

haha, yes. check this out:

I've been in Germany for the last two months and decided it was time to get a new laptop. I've used a PC my whole life, but now i'm ready for a mac. Since the new Cinema displays and AXP and iPod G4 just came out - i decided i would order my 12" PB, 20" Cinema Display, 20gb G4 iPod, and AXP a month early to make sure it all shipped back to my place in the states on time. However... it all ended up shipping early and so now it has been sitting on my bed at home for a month and i'm still here for 2 more weeks before i can see it! it's EXCRUCIATING. lol.