G5 2.5 vs G5 2.0

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Pricing out the top two G5 systems at the Apple store (both with ATI 9600xt) yielded a $385 difference between the 2.5 and the 2.0. I can afford to pay for the 2.5, however, I was wondering if the increased speed is worth $385. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    I have looked at this and would say getting a new cooling system and 2 cpu's with each having 500 mhz more power means its a big yes. The current dual 2.0 with piss pot poor and cheap FX5200 is the dog of the line. still amazed that they push that cheap crap in new Powermacs. for 385 bucks your getting a lot more performance. you cant even buy a old and slow G4 upgrade card for that. 9600xt is a very solid value and a couple years down the road you can throw in the latest greatest video card. you should see a real world 20-25% speed increase vs the 2.0 is my guess. 500 mhz is a big jump for slow Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yes! $385 is a pittance for %20+ better performance.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    While the speed issue is there, I got the Dual 2.0Ghz's just because it's Rev. B. versus a Rev. A 2.5Ghz that has liquid cooling... I don't like taking chances
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

While the speed issue is there, I got the Dual 2.0Ghz's just because it's Rev. B. versus a Rev. A 2.5Ghz that has liquid cooling... I don't like taking chances

thats a good point but there is Apple care plus its a closed system with very little pressure and nothing removes heat like a liquid. Air doesnt even come close plus like stated for $385 bucks you are getting a total of 1000 mhz more clock work and there is nothing like a clock cycle.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Aurora I couldn't agree with you more. I was just giving my two cents and saying that if the 2.5Ghz had been avaiable 3 weeks ago to ship the next day and if I wanted to be the first to have a 2.5Ghz but to me the 2.0Ghz gets everything done great. Considering there isn't a lot of applications to run on Dual Processors outside of my OS and Adobe Creative Suite that I have....If you can buy the 2.5Ghz and you want to take a chance that is what I would do. :two cents:
  • Reply 6 of 12
    novablasnovablas Posts: 12member
    Oh come on.... Take a chance? Honestly, who doesn't buy AppleCare these days. And even if there was some serious problem with the liquid cooling Apple would HAVE to replace them or face countless lawsuits. I know I'll do something if something like that goes wrong and they don't replace it.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    Right on bro, get the Dual 2.5. The super quiet liquid cooling alone is worth it. Who the hell wants to listen to the jet fans roar? (I know, I know they're quieter now, and not quite wind tunnel..)

Good things come to those who wait..
  • Reply 8 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Novablas

Oh come on.... Take a chance? Honestly, who doesn't buy AppleCare these days. And even if there was some serious problem with the liquid cooling Apple would HAVE to replace them or face countless lawsuits. I know I'll do something if something like that goes wrong and they don't replace it.

you'd be surprised
  • Reply 9 of 12
    regreg Posts: 832member
    My wife's company never buys applecare. Just one of the requirements they have. She is also one of the lucky ones that work on several projects and needs different machines for each project. With the start of a new project they get all new equipment, so she is use to the latest and greatest. To bad she cannot bring any of it home.

reg
  • Reply 10 of 12
    tusktusk Posts: 3member
    Thanks for all the input. I'm going to the get the G5 2.5 ghz. Does anyone have any opinions about MacMall and Mac Connection? Are both good companies? Mac Connection and MacMall both give you a total of 1.5 GB of RAM. This is probably the cheapest quality RAM you can buy, but for $40 extra bucks (cost of installation), it's worth the risk.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    <<Does anyone have any opinions about MacMall and Mac Connection?>.

I've purchased my last three computer--make that four as I have a G5 dual 2.5 on order-- from MacConnections and never had a problem. Each of the computers had the "free" RAM and the RAM has worked fine even with Panther. In fact I've been happily using MacConnections since 1987.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Mac Mall and Mac connection are both good companies. i have dealt with each and have no complaints. i would just check each and see if they offer what you are looking for and go from there. Mac Mall has some free PCI tv tuner cards after rebate so i went with them.