Can't read cd's

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi!

After a repair of disk permissions my icons on the dock disappear(it?s not a big problem) and I can?t read audio cd?s! This last, is a BIG problem for me? The message say: You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read.

Any tip?

Thanks for your time.

Murdock

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    When such strange things happen, I do 5 things, seeing if it helps in between:

1. Run fsck -y -f in single-user mode (boot with Command and S keys pressed). Or, better yet, use DiskWarrior.

2. Repair disk permissions (obviously, you've done it).

3. Re-install the latest combo-update to Mac OS.

4. Inspect system.log and console.log.

5. Pray, do some sacrifices.\
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Wow, man your drive might be going out.

Have you tried different media. I know some media do not work on certain models. Apple uses Different optical drives models for each unit. so it might be that the CD-R's that you are using may be difficult for your optical drive to read. Try different media.

Also cleaning your optical drive may fix it. Get a canned air and let it flow.

Are you able to boot from CD ??

What about hard drive corruptions.

here is another thing to think about. I have notive sometimes CDDB Preferences in your home/library/preferences folder can get corrupted and mimic hard ware issues. try removing it. CD Info.cidb too.

They will be recreated.

anyways, yeah also check your logs. I know its a lot to do , but its all a mater of process of ellimination.

MacDuneRaver
  • Reply 3 of 3
    murdockmurdock Posts: 49member
    Hi!

Thanks macduneraver!

The file CD info.cidb was the problem... i have cd1, cd2 and cd3 in the preferences... deleted an cd audio born again in my desktop...

Murdock

p.s. - Thank costique toooo....