Troubles with ipod

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

My new 4th generation ipod arrived today. However, there is something strange with it. I have reformatted it three times, but each time, I end up having problems with *some* songs on the ipod. It will get to a particular song, and then it will simply stop playing, and it is hard to even make it go to the next song then.

Also, each time I reformat, different songs have it happen to it. Do you think this is defective? Will Apple send me another (I got engraving), or will I have to have it repaired?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Hi,

My new 4th generation ipod arrived today. However, there is something strange with it. I have reformatted it three times, but each time, I end up having problems with *some* songs on the ipod. It will get to a particular song, and then it will simply stop playing, and it is hard to even make it go to the next song then.

Also, each time I reformat, different songs have it happen to it. Do you think this is defective? Will Apple send me another (I got engraving), or will I have to have it repaired?

Thanks for your help!

call tech support--maybe its your software
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Usually these are issues with software and are easily fixed by a software restore. Note: sometimes people get confused with software restore and Ipod reset.

1. Ipod reset - will just restart your ipod. But it there is something corrupted, issues will continue to occur.

2. Software restore. - need to run an app called ipod software updater , located in your applications/utilities/ipod software updater .

- Connect your ipod and the Ipod software updated will recognize it .

- you will have two options, update and restore. you want to restore the ipod. THIS WILL ERASE ALL YOUR CONTENT on your ipod and set it back to original factory settings. So back up any data on your ipod before you proceed with the restore.

Anyways, if it does not work, then call apple and set up a web dispatch to have your Ipod replaced. All personalized ipods need to be repaired via mail.

Hope this works for you ,

MacDuneRaver
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Yes, I had done the software restore several times. So, today I called Apple. They had me do another software restore on the phone. Then they told me to request service. So, I guess I am sending it in. I hope it doesn't take too long. Thanks for the help.

The funny thing is that it isn't as bad now. I've done another 5 restores since I was off the phone with Apple. It is down to maybe 1 in 60 songs with a problem. Right after I was on the phone with Apple, it would skip dozens of songs at once. haha. Most of the time it was every 4-5 songs had one song that it would skip.