a simple question here :)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just received my powerbook 12". I'm so excited lol

anyways .. i tried pluggin my external harddisk to the powerbook and nothing happened? where can i find the files? or the external harddisk? where should it be?

thanks ..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    The drive should mount automatically once you plug the USB or Firewire cable in. If it doesn't, go to Applications, Utilities, Disk Utility and see if the drive is listed and then manually mount it. If it doesn't show up there, could be a hardware problem.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    We're assuming this is a Mac-formatted disk, and not a Windows-formatted disk, right?

Depends on the model, but with some of the ext. Firewire drives, you have to plug them in to the computer while they're off, then turn them on.

Or maybe it's the other way around? Turn the power on, and as soon as the drive is done spinning up, plug the FW cable in to the P'book.

May as well try it both ways.

CV
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

We're assuming this is a Mac-formatted disk, and not a Windows-formatted disk, right?

The Mac should still see the drive even if it's Windows formatted... shouldn't it? It might give an error about not being the correct format... but it should still recognize the new hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

Depends on the model, but with some of the ext. Firewire drives, you have to plug them in to the computer while they're off, then turn them on.

Or maybe it's the other way around? Turn the power on, and as soon as the drive is done spinning up, plug the FW cable in to the P'book.

May as well try it both ways.

CV

It's the other way around. First power up the drive and THEN plug it into the powerbook. I had the same problem a couple weeks ago when I bought a new drive enclosure. I swore a lot and then tried it this way and it worked fine. I think when you plug the drive in before powering up, the drive thinks it's supposed to get power from the firewire connection and not the power cable. It's annoying but ah well, once it's working everything is great.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Hmmm, I do it the other way, I plug in the drive and then power it up. Works fine. I have two FW hard drives I use this way.

When removing the drive be sure to first eject the drive and then remove the cable.

TofaChino, did you every get this working? If I read your message right the drive was already formatted with files on it. Since you just received the computer I'll assume it is running Panther (10.3).

You can set a preference that controls whether or not disk icons are displayed on the desktop. From the Finder go under the Finder menu and choose preferences and General. Now set the option for displaying hard disks on the desk top. Next click the Sidebar tab and confirm that hard disks will be displayed in the side bar.

Now when the external HD is inserted it should show up on the desktop and it will appear in the sidebar of any finder window.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Thanks for all the replies..

My external harddisk is windows formated (i'm a first time mac.. i used to have winxp) ..

my harddisk doesn't work by it self it has to be connected to a computer for it to work (it gets its power from the the USB connection).. so i can't turn it on then plug it...

I really need the files in it.. it has all of my music and video library.. (i was shocked when i read on appl.com that i can't import the songs in my ipod to my PB!!!! GRRRR!!!!!

HELP!\
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by TofaChino

Thanks for all the replies..

I really need the files in it.. it has all of my music and video library.. (i was shocked when i read on appl.com that i can't import the songs in my ipod to my PB!!!! GRRRR!!!!!

HELP!\

If the songs on your iPod are MP3s, there are some good shareware apps that will pull them off your iPod onto your new PB. Check VersionTracker and do a search for "iPod."
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Grey

If the songs on your iPod are MP3s, there are some good shareware apps that will pull them off your iPod onto your new PB. Check VersionTracker and do a search for "iPod."

Thanks A LOT! i downloaded senuti. its very easy to use.. now i have all of my mp3s on my pb thanks.

only one problem left. the Harddisk one.