target disk mode

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can I use the Firewire Cable that came with my powerbook to transfere files to another Powerbook using Firewire Target disk mode?

I'm asking, because most other firewire cables have almost twice the diametre. Will it hurt the cable?

Thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yes, unfortunately, the thin FireWire cables simply can't handle the bpi (bits per square inch) pressure from the data stream, and can spring a leak. This can lead to not only data loss, but data cohesion, where that data seeps into your hard drive, gets in your CDs, god knows what, and you just slips right in and corrupts everything. It's really a mess. Best to stick to the big fat wires for your high speed data transfers.

Yes, I'm being a butthead. The thin wire is fine.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yes, unfortunately, the thin FireWire cables simply can't handle the bpi (bits per square inch) pressure from the data stream, and can spring a leak. This can lead to not only data loss, but data cohesion, where that data seeps into your hard drive, gets in your CDs, god knows what, and you just slips right in and corrupts everything. It's really a mess. Best to stick to the big fat wires for your high speed data transfers.

That's the funniest thing I've read all day... of course, it is only 1pm.