WANTED: iPod with Radio

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    You know what the iPod really needs? A postage-stamp dispenser! I mean, I can't tell you how many times I'm listening to my iPod and mailing some letters, only I can't find my stamps. Like when I'm at work or at the gym, it would be so cool if I could click my iPod and get stamps. I hope Apple is investing a lot of R&D money into this idea, because I want it.

Seriously, if you want to listen to FM radio then get something like this.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Grey

Seriously, if you want to listen to FM radio then get something like this.

Seriously, you jest.

Those crappy things can't hold a signal. I've bought similar ones from dollar stores and it's not even worth the dollar I spent.

I think most of us here who would welcome a FM tuner, only do so if it was elegantly integrated into the iPod design. The scroll wheel interface is a natural extension of a radio dial. Surely if small MP3 players such as the ones from iRiver can slide in a tuner chip, the iPod can.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I can't understand why a device of a size similar to say the Griffin iTalk hasn't been made that would be an AM/FM radio. If it plugged directly in to the top of the iPod and included a headphone jack I would buy one in a New York minute.

I have used a lot of headphone type radios that are both small and work well enough for my needs. I would like to be able to listen to the ball game and the great sports talk radio stations we have here in Kansas City. Those are on AM.

The KC Chiefs are broadcast on FM so I would want both. (Although I always watch the Chiefs in person or on TV.)

And of course it would either cost $29 or $39 as it seems this is the price for all iPod accessories.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Count me in on the "want a radio" crowd.

As has been said, a radio is great for: gym, talk radio, NPR, sports, and, at least here in the bay area, some pretty good college and indy stations that play stuff I've never heard.

Sure add-ons are cheap, but the whole iPod vibe is around slick integration and ease of use. I can't believe a receiver chip takes up much space, so I would guess that the biggest challenge would be shielding the innards to prevent leakage between radio and disc (servo motor noise on the radio, radio noise on the disc preamp circuitry).
  • Reply 25 of 33
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    It's nice to listen to a radio broadcast of a sporting even while you're at the sporting event. Last night the DNC was on NPR and it would have been nice to listen to parts of it. The Grateful Dead hour happens Sunday night but I'm not always at home.

Plus, if you could record the radio like on some devices, it would really be useful.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I can't understand why a device of a size similar to say the Griffin iTalk hasn't been made that would be an AM/FM radio. If it plugged directly in to the top of the iPod and included a headphone jack I would buy one in a New York minute.

I have used a lot of headphone type radios that are both small and work well enough for my needs. I would like to be able to listen to the ball game and the great sports talk radio stations we have here in Kansas City. Those are on AM.

The KC Chiefs are broadcast on FM so I would want both. (Although I always watch the Chiefs in person or on TV.)

And of course it would either cost $29 or $39 as it seems this is the price for all iPod accessories.

why would it have to be plugged into the ipod. the majority of ipod users don't seem to care for radio tuners. and if you wanted a radio tuner, you can get one for next to nothing already and listen to that rather than drain the batteries on the ipod to listen to radio. i guess i could understand the desire to have a radio integrated into the ipod. but i can't understand why anyone would want to add an external radio tuner to an ipod when you can already buy external radio tuners for less than an add-on to the ipod would cost.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

at the apple store (not online store) they have tiny FM radios that hook on to your iPod allowing for iPod listening and FM listening...there are a few others (this was the way alot of sony md players had radios, attached to headphones) - check around, plenty of time before the season starts!
  • Reply 28 of 33
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

why would it have to be plugged into the ipod. the majority of ipod users don't seem to care for radio tuners. and if you wanted a radio tuner, you can get one for next to nothing already and listen to that rather than drain the batteries on the ipod to listen to radio. i guess i could understand the desire to have a radio integrated into the ipod. but i can't understand why anyone would want to add an external radio tuner to an ipod when you can already buy external radio tuners for less than an add-on to the ipod would cost.

I understand you and some others may not want this. But I do as do many others I know.

I don't want to carry around more gadgets. Just because you can't understand why I would buy this in a minute doesn't mean I am wrong. I don't know why anyone would want a headless iMac but does that mean there wouldn't be a demand for one?

I am not asking that Apple integrate this into the iPod. I like the fact that it focuses on one thing. I am just hoping to see an accessory that I would gladly pay for.

• Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

I understand you and some others may not want this. But I do as do many others I know.

I don't want to carry around more gadgets. Just because you can't understand why I would buy this in a minute doesn't mean I am wrong. I don't know why anyone would want a headless iMac but does that mean there wouldn't be a demand for one?

I am not asking that Apple integrate this into the iPod. I like the fact that it focuses on one thing. I am just hoping to see an accessory that I would gladly pay for.

well, that's kinda my point. an add-on accessory to the ipod for radio reception is still another gadget to carry around. it's just a gadget that you plug into the ipod and then plug headphone into rather than just being a gadget that you plug headphones into. either way, if that's what you want, then cool. but it seems odd to me.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I was thinking about this earlier, and it would fit pretty easily into the existing interface. The wheel could scan frequencies perfectly naturally.

Off to Digital Hub we go.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:

I can't understand why a device of a size similar to say the Griffin iTalk hasn't been made that would be an AM/FM radio.

Actually, Griffin was going to make this:

They scrapped the plans, though, saying that Apple had changed the configuration of the iPod (when they dumped the Firewire connector).

Of course, that didn't stop them from updating the iTrip. Why? Because there was a large demand for the iTrip. I'm betting that if there really were a lot of people out there who wanted an FM radio on their iPod, Griffin would have continued plans for one.

I know that there are a lot of people here who want an FM radio in their iPod, but obviously not enough for Apple (or even third-parties) to consider it.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Nice!!

How does it work? Is it connetced like a "chain link"?

-> iPod -> iTrip -> Headphones -> Head

Or can I "attach" the iTrip device to the iPod?

Quote:

• Reply 33 of 33
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Grey

Actually, Griffin was going to make this:

They scrapped the plans, though, saying that Apple had changed the configuration of the iPod (when they dumped the Firewire connector).

Of course, that didn't stop them from updating the iTrip. Why? Because there was a large demand for the iTrip. I'm betting that if there really were a lot of people out there who wanted an FM radio on their iPod, Griffin would have continued plans for one.

I know that there are a lot of people here who want an FM radio in their iPod, but obviously not enough for Apple (or even third-parties) to consider it.

How many extra buttons does an FM radio need?!!?

Portland is a problematic place for the iTrip because we have one huge radio tower that washes out any microwattage transmitters, unless the iPod is within 2 feet of the radio.

I like radio, because I don't want to be the last one listening to my "blues mix" while everyone else drives to safety because they heard the emergency broadcast system tell them that Mt. Hood just erupted and is going to cloak Portland in 5 feet of redhot ash. I like to not be always isolated in my own music mix. I really don't want to carry another accessory or another seperate device to do that.