Apple Employees are Punks!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
First off I would like to say sorry to those that were offended by the subject. Ok I went to go buy my 12" today at the retail store. Everyone seemed to be very rude especially when I turned them down from buying .Mac

One thing that really pisses me off is how they try and throw out so much stuff for you to buy. Everytime I told them know they told me my Mac would become a paperweight. First of all I didn't want to buy the RAM from them because its like 300 dollars for a 512 when you can buy from Crucial for 100! The worst was .Mac, they told me that there was a virus found 3 days again and that my Powerbook would become useless if I didn't get .Mac

Arn't there other alternatives? Also I'm not stupid and open unknown attachments and stuff. I also have a firewall so I'm moderately protected from virus's just pouring on in.

They also told me without buying the Apple Protection Plan that I would end up coming back to the store and asking for help and I wouldn't be able to get it because I don't have it right away. What the heck is up with that? They also said that I wouldn't know how to install the RAM... I swear Mac products are great but sometimes the customer service there doesn't go your way unless you start piling on the cash is when they start treating you nicely.

Has anyone experienced something like this? I have a very limited budget and am able to get the 12" Powerbook base model. I was planning on getting the RAM from crucial later and installing myself. Should I get the .Mac? Its only sale for 70 dollars but I'm not sure if its worth it or not.

Are there any essential software I shoudl buy while I'm there? I have a budget of 1700 dollars. 1400 for the powerbook, 45 for the mouse i want. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I don't have .Mac and don't miss it. I buy the bare minimum (ram/hard drive) and upgrade myself later to same lots of $$$. I don't buy apple care because I believe apple made solid products.

Sadly, however, I will consider buying AppleCare for my next purchase, solely based on my recent experiences with apple products. I have a list and it is only getting bigger.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    What happened to your Apple? I definitely will buy Apple Care but I mean I've gotten by with my PC with no warranty at all and I built it myself. I'm sure Apple would make high quality products why would it break if you treat it well?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It's just bad busisness and a common practice.

Employees, have a huge pressure to sell warranties extansions and otheres options, like .mac.

If they did not sell enough of this stuff, they will have less money or will be fired. This huge pressure lead them to make lies, and it's dispacable.

This kind of practice are a shame, but very common (it's not only, Apple or computers, it's the same if you buy a TV, or a washing machine).
  • Reply 4 of 26
    mnarcisomnarciso Posts: 29member
    Maybe I'm just bothered by the fact that they are so good at what they do. They do come up with some pretty good lies. I mean I see the people talk to them and people who are not computer saavy easily agree with everything an apple employee says. Its unfortunate that its like that. There was this apple employee talking to this guy saying that .AAC sounds better then any other format and said its just better to buy off itunes rather then buying CD's and turning them into mp3's... I was kind of in awe when I heard that. I think people who know what they are doing would feel somewhat insulted walking into an apple store... however its the only way I could walk out with a powerbook right away.

I just hope when I actually go pick up my powerbook tomorrow that I don't get some jacked up powerbook that looks like its closed but has really been open. I also hope i don't get bad pixels. Whats the chances of getting bad pixels on your LCD/Powerbook?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    At the Apple section at compusa the guy totally tried to rip us off and sell us a demo model dual 2 ghz Rev A for a price the same as the new models. I told him that I would discuss it with my dad (who was also there) and we just decided to leave while we had gotten a break from his incessant babbling of bullsh*t. Good thing we did our research.

That wasn't directly apple, but oh well. I still get angry when I think about how pushy and somewhat annoying he was about selling an older model (DEMO model for crying out loud) for the same price as the new Rev. B's.....not to mention I wouldn't get an edu discount like I could with apple.

• Reply 6 of 26
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Apple Store employees are scumbags....at least the majority I have encountered....ESPECIALLY at SOHO. stuck up snobs who think they are punk because they color their hair.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Sorry I just realized this thread does not belong here. Many apologies! I keep forgetting there are other categories such as General Discussion!

Anyway glad I'm not the only one who feels this way haha!
  • Reply 8 of 26
    rara Posts: 623member
    I was in the Walnut Creek store last week. I was looking at some software and some guy was an aisle over talking to the Apple employee:

Customer: ...I was also wondering about virus software.

Employee: Well we don't carry virus software anymore because we offer it as part of our .Mac package.

*me holds up Norton Antivirus and whistles at the Apple Employee*

*employee pauses*

Employee: So as I was saying, our .Mac package...

• Reply 9 of 26
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Thats sales. If you ever meet a sales guy that you trust you'll soon find them gone because they say things that managers dont like ( even tho customers love them ). It takes time to build up sales relationships, and these people migrate into business sales where they deal with the same professionals for a long time and dont have to bullshit.

As for compusa, Ive observed their prices to be months behind Apples, and on older models. I guess they dont have a buy back deal with Apple. Im surprised they sell any machines ( they often have open box specials that just match Apples price ). Their sales droids suck too. I heard the one Apple sales guy telling a couple how macs were really susceptible to viruses, and practically pushing them over to the PCs.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Yeah I guess its true. It can relate to not just Apple Employees but anyone. I don't know I think Apple Employees are the worst I have ever encountered though.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I sold Apple and PC products at UC Berkeley. Technically we were consultants. We were all computer enthusiasts and we didn't work on commission. We told it like it was every time, including were to buy cheaper RAM as one example.

Good times.

Just sayin', not every "sales" guy is a bad apple.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    It seems to me that if you're trusting someone whose job is to sell you things you can pretty much expect to get taken to the cleaners. I would never buy anything, be it a computer or a refrigerator, without having done my own research. I go into a store knowing exactly what I want to buy. It makes the sales employees largely irrelevant.

Oh, and AppleCare is worth its weight in gold. Even if you only need repairs on every third Mac it pays for itself.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Apple Store employees are scumbags....at least the majority I have encountered....ESPECIALLY at SOHO. stuck up snobs who think they are punk because they color their hair.

The two stores that I have been in were extreamly freindly and helpfull, They explained .mac, I told them that the free yahoo mail service was all I needed (along with my isp email address) and because I was looking at desktops I felt the warrenty was pointless, they verry nicely explained the advantages of .mac and APP, they answered all of my questions about compadibility with some windows file formats, and were just nice people.

Maybe the midwest is just a friendlier place, the two stores I have been to are Mall of America, and keystone(Indy?s mall for the super rich elitists...)

Want bad service? go to the Bose store...
  • Reply 14 of 26
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    A salesman story:

Last weekend I was in an electronics store in midtown manhattan. I think he was an authorized apple reseller but who knows.

One of the sales reps was trying to sell an ipod to an unsuspecting lady a 3g ipod and thelling her it was a 4g.

He also told her that there was a 6 month wait on the mini.

I told both of them that this dude was full of it and she should just go to apple .com and buy it there. At least she can get what she thinks she is buying. And the mini that I just received took 3 weeks engraved.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to General Discussion...

And not all Apple employees are punks...
  • Reply 16 of 26
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    At least the Austin store employees were very friendly and never pressured anyone I saw into anything. Maybe it just depends on who they hired rather than any culture thing.

Now some Apple engineers are punks...but that's a different story (I know a few as friends from college).
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Yeah not all of them are punks I agree. Also apologies again for posting the topic in Current Hardware. I just hated the feeling they gave me when I turned down .Mac its like they were going to the back of the store to open up my new Laptop and implant a virus on it so they could prove me wrong...

Oh when he told me my laptop would become a paperweight I wanted to kick his a$$ and make him a freaking door stopper. However I was looking at .Mac and it seems kind of cool but for an annual of 99.95 I think I can live without it and look into other types of Virus protection.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Thats sales. If you ever meet a sales guy that you trust you'll soon find them gone because they say things that managers dont like ( even tho customers love them ). It takes time to build up sales relationships, and these people migrate into business sales where they deal with the same professionals for a long time and dont have to bullshit.

That is the God's honest truth. I did my gig in retail computer sales and it always sucks. It's not about the sale of the computer it's about what you can attach to that sale. That's why the Apple employee is frustrated. Each store has a percentage of attachrate they need or the sheeit rolls downhill.

I'm always amazed when I hear some young kid say "I want to work in an Apple store". Kid, don't waste your time. Get into sales gigs where you develop trusted clientele. Selling to consumers can quicly become how to lie the best to get the extras.

If you want the best salesperson walk into a store and ask for the sales person with the lowest sales.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akac

At least the Austin store employees were very friendly and never pressured anyone I saw into anything. Maybe it just depends on who they hired rather than any culture thing.

Agreed. I've talked to 2 different folks at the Apple store, here. One salesgirl very happily showed my daughter all the iPod Mini accessories, even though we'd told her we weren't buying that day, but would be back in a couple of months when she had saved up. She made a quick stab at trying to talk us into walking out with one that day "They're going fast..." but didn't try again, once I declined. The second time I was there, they had the "Genius" on the floor, because they were swamped, and he did his best to get me prices on displays, and didn't try to sell me anything.

I think maybe it's just New Yorkers.

CV
  • Reply 20 of 26
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

I was in the Walnut Creek store last week. I was looking at some software and some guy was an aisle over talking to the Apple employee:

Customer: ...I was also wondering about virus software.

Employee: Well we don't carry virus software anymore because we offer it as part of our .Mac package.

*me holds up Norton Antivirus and whistles at the Apple Employee*

*employee pauses*

Employee: So as I was saying, our .Mac package...

Is my first response, but then I realize that these guys are getting threatend with their jobs if they dont achieve a certain percentage of apple care and .mac sales. Its apples fault for preasuring these people and in turn forcing bad service on the public.