Time Magazine Says There's More To The New iPod Then Apple Is Telling

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Interesting Time article reports the following.

Quote:

But you should know that internally the new iPod is a ground-up reconstruction, and its really compelling applications ? the ones that very well might get the goat of anyone unable or unwilling to upgrade ? are still secret. All that Apple is saying is that there's more to this than what's being publicized.

Gohere for complete story.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    More music related features or more "other" features?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i vote "other" features
  • Reply 3 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

i vote "other" features

I think the next firmware update will activate its auto-target death ray, which vaporizes all Real execs in the vicinity.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I think the next firmware update will activate its auto-target death ray, which vaporizes all Real execs in the vicinity.

I think Real is doing a fine enough job destroying itself. No help really necessary.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    And why wouldn't they advertise all these great new features to sell the things.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Because the rest of the infrastructure isn't in place to support them?

Why announce your future plans to your competition before you're ready to roll out, so they can just build a crappy implementation and beat you to market? Nope.

Let them sit on it. If it's truly that compelling, when it all comes together, people will buy them for that reason as well.

It's not like the iPod sales are *hurting* right now, is it?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    My guess is after Aug 31 out will pop the new iMac thats actually inside the pod! Pods pods pods doesnt anyone ever get sick of all this pod garbage? i wish Apple would go back to making computers.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

It's not like the iPod sales are *hurting* right now, is it?

Just the opposite... have you seen an iPod Mini on the shelf recently? These things are flying off the shelf.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

But you should know that internally the new iPod is a ground-up reconstruction, and its really compelling applications ? the ones that very well might get the goat of anyone unable or unwilling to upgrade ? are still secret. All that Apple is saying is that there's more to this than what's being publicized.

What kind of English is that. Time should know better that to publish incomprehensible text like that.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    trydtryd Posts: 143member
    So maybe there is a reason that there is a "Music"-menu after all

I never understood why there should be a Music-menu on a device that is only used for music. Now if the iPod starts supporting photos etc... this suddenly makes sense.

What other menus will appear later? Photo? Video? ???
  • Reply 11 of 22
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Here's press info on PortalPlayers update to the OS (which the new iPod may be using):

Quote:

Features of the Personal Media Player

Products based upon the PortalPlayer Personal Media Player: Photo Edition platform will enable customers to develop personal media players that make complete music and photo collections portable to be shared with family and friends. End users can:

Copy, view, store, catalog, and modify images without a PC.

Print directly to HP and Canon® printers without a PC using the PictBridge® standard.

Transfer images from a digital camera directly to the portable media player through the USB 2.0 compliant On-the-Go port or by copying from the flash memory card. Synchronize images directly to and from a PC and the portable media player.

View still pictures (JPEG, GIF and TIFF) and video (MJPEG) on the color STN or TFT LCD on the device or on a standard NTSC/PAL TV, through the TV out connector.

Listen to music from the leading online music services such as Musicmatch®, Napster®, Real Audio® and more. Hear audiobooks from Audible.com.

Automatically identify CDs, name and categorize digital files, and generate custom playlists with the touch of a button using the Gracenote® Music Management System.

Record voice over narrations to go with the photos.

Synch digital music files and voice recordings with photos, providing the first of its kind multimedia slide show in a handheld device. Support for the industry standard MPV format (www.osta.org/mpv) enables slide show interoperability and quick indexing of metadata.

Interact with popular PC applications that are used to organize and view photo collections.

In the second half of 2004, the platform will offer image capture support, allowing people to take photographs using their personal media players. In addition, plans are in place to incorporate advanced OLED display technology from Eastman Kodak Company for brighter, more vibrant images visible from a wider viewing angle than conventional LCDs make possible.

The Photo Edition Development Platform

The PortalPlayer Personal Media Player: Photo Edition platform consists of three elements: a highly-integrated SOC; an FDK that includes robust development tools enabling custom feature sets and application enhancements; and an SDK that enables customers to create compelling PC applications.

The PP5020 SOC features dual ARM7TDMI® microprocessors. Its 160 MHz engine enables fast decoding/encoding of digital audio and decoding of JPEG and MJPEG images. Display support is included for YUV out to an external TV encoder, color TFT VGA graphics controller, 4-bit gray scale controller or a bridge interface to smart panels.

The PP5020 SOC minimizes system bill-of-materials (BOM) costs through on-chip integration of Hi-Speed USB® 2.0 Device, Host and On-The-Go (OTG) support and FireWire® (IEEE 1394a) connectivity. Fast data transfer rates for up to four hard disk drives are enabled by ATA/66 IDE controllers and dedicated DMA engines. As a result, customers can design a personal media player using the PP5020 without the need for many of the external controllers commonly required with other SOCs.

In addition, the PP5020 features advanced power management capabilities that enable shutdown of most functional modules when not in use. Personal media players that incorporate the PP5020 can operate more than 15 hours on a single AA alkaline battery.

The Personal Media Player: Photo Edition FDK includes the firmware necessary to develop compelling personal media player products. Specific capabilities of the PortalPlayer (PPI) FDK include:

Immersive Media Experience: Highest audio quality reproduction, PPI Optimized CODEC Suite, PPI CODEC Socket Architecture

Intelligent Library Indexing: PPI File System, PPI Database Engine, PPI Metadata Engine

Digital Rights Management: PPI Crypto Services, Music Service Framework

Adaptive Power Management: PPI HDD Micro-Pulse Power Control?, PPI Buffer Play Caching

PortalPlayer also supports the Photo Edition platform with an SDK that enables custom PC application development, including synchronization, firmware updating, and slide show creation. The Photo Edition SDK libraries for the Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and XP operating systems are provided in C++.

• Reply 12 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    What apple doesn't tell you about your new toy:

As if music wasn't enough, your iPod slices, and dices, minces and chops, it also has a light sabor built in, but that will be activated in the next software upgrade.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Off to Digital Hub we go.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    If Time is right and there are unannounced iPod features we don't yet know about, perhaps the features have to do with integrating the new iPods with new iMacs somehow. Some feature we never though of could help sell both.

Or not.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Has anybody ripped their 4G apart to see what's inside? I've heard that there is a great d/a chip, a flux capacitor and a brand new system controller.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willcurrie

Has anybody ripped their 4G apart to see what's inside? I've heard that there is a great d/a chip, a flux capacitor and a brand new system controller.

Yes, because I have 300$ to toss right down the crapper and I just love the idea of trashing an ipod...
  • Reply 17 of 22
    The people over at iPodding have disected an iPod. Check it out here.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

What kind of English is that. Time should know better that to publish incomprehensible text like that.

I thought it was just me having a long day I could not bring myself to finish the second line. I just kept thinking I must be reading something wrong...and I'd start over again and again.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by willcurrie

You mean a flux capacitor like this inside the iPod?

Music AND time travel. I love it.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    dgnldgnl Posts: 42member
    so where do I get the t-shirt already ?