iBook or pBook?? AGAIN!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know this thread has possibly come up many times but I did a search and it didn't answer all my questions. Basically let me tell you my computing needs however I am on a tight budget say 1700 dollars with student discount.

I was considering the 12" pBook or 14" iBook 1.2 Ghz... however the iBook "looks" slower i'm not sure what the performance difference would be. The reason I'm tempted by the iBook is because of the extra screen space. I would appreciate the bigger screen however... I guess I could also buy a 12" inch and then save up for one of them sweet apple cinema displays...

As far as ruggedness and durability which would be better? I feel like the silver finish will wear off? Could that happen?

My computing needs, I am a casual user, word editing, surfing, photoshop, and hopefully any blizzard game like the upcoming World of Warcraft. The 32 megs of ram kind of scares me as far as gaming and how responsive Mac OS X is in the GUI. Any suggestions? Also the 12" pBook the lcd brightness seems to be the lowest of them all is this just me or is there a way of getting the screen to be brighter? Please help my dilemma! I am going to go crazy, I will be buying my first Apple tomorrow at noon! I'm so excited yet so scared because I want to make the right choice! 1700 dollars peeps... student discount... what will get me the most value. Buyers guide anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    if 1700 is tops you will go, I'd recommend poping 100 more in and getting 15" for 1799. The Graphics chip for the 12" powerbook really sucks, the one for the 14" isn't that bad. Tiger will depend on a fast graphics chip for alot of the GUI performance. YOu'll get more screen space with the 15", 64MB Video ram, 1.33Ghz G4, 60GB HD. If the 15" pbook is out, I'd get the ibook 14".

Remember, alot of ram really helps.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Even if I put in another 100 there is still tax. I also won't have money for upgrades.

I was thinking about the 12" iBook do you think that is worth it and maxing the RAM? I believe ATI is better then nvidia... will my ibook be able to use Tiger?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mnarciso

The reason I'm tempted by the iBook is because of the extra screen space. I would appreciate the bigger screen however...

Keep in mind that the 14" iBook doesn't have any extra screen space, just bigger pixels. It's 1024x768, just like the 12" iBook and the 12" Powerbook. If you want a higher-resolution display you need to trade up to the 15" PB.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Keep in mind that the 14" iBook doesn't have any extra screen space, just bigger pixels. It's 1024x768, just like the 12" iBook and the 12" Powerbook.

Yeah I just realized that actually... would the 12" ibook be ok and I just buy one of them sweet Cinema displays? How would that work out? I guess the only problem I have is with Tiger not working somehow... I hear a lot of things like it won't be supported. Can anyone clear this up? I'm basically trying to get the most out of my 1700