Your 4G iPod has wireless built in....

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
That's all I'm saying.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I've been waiting for the obligatory someone to rip their 4G apart to inspect the mobo. There would have to be evidence of an antenna, or hookup for one, or a BT/WiFi controller chip somewhere.

Anyone want to pop open their new baby and post pics?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Digital Hub...
  • Reply 3 of 40
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Can anyone confirm this? Is this part of the 4G 'little secrets'? I'll break webmail's legs if this isn't true.

Wireless what? Bluetooth? Airport? Can this thing send songs to teh' ol' stereo via Airport Express and be a remote at the same time? I'd shit my pants if it could.

How does Airport Express work anyways...what happens if two Macs try to stream music to the same stereo? What would happen if the iPod tried to stream to the stereo while another Mac is trying to stream to that same stereo?

Why would Apple keep this secret? Smells like bullshit to me. And it's not me, I haven't crapped my pants yet.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Maybe the 4G has support for wireless but it certainly doesn't have a wireless card of any sort built-in.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
  • Reply 6 of 40
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    "We can't seem to identify a Flash chip nor a USB controller. There are a couple of chips we haven't been able to decipher yet, however, neither looks to be Flash or USB. It's quite possible that the Portal Player processor is now handling USB, not sure about the Flash."
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

"We can't seem to identify a Flash chip nor a USB controller. There are a couple of chips we haven't been able to decipher yet, however, neither looks to be Flash or USB. It's quite possible that the Portal Player processor is now handling USB, not sure about the Flash."

A couple of chips we haven't been able to decipher yet? Hmmm, must be a dual G5!
  • Reply 8 of 40
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

That's all I'm saying.

You wanna bet?

- like taking candy from a baby.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    You should know I won my previous bets ;-)

Since the information I've been given was from an Apple employee, I would assume it's good. I want a new iPod anyway so today I plan to go to the Apple Store and pick up one of the 20GB models. I have a background in electrical engineering, so I'll probably take it apart when I get home.... I'm not willing to bet on it since I had somebody post pictures and I couldn't see anything that would be bluetooth or otherwise. I'll have to check for myself.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

You should know I won my previous bets ;-)

Since the information I've been given was from an Apple employee, I would assume it's good. I want a new iPod anyway so today I plan to go to the Apple Store and pick up one of the 20GB models. I have a background in electrical engineering, so I'll probably take it apart when I get home.... I'm not willing to bet on it since I had somebody post pictures and I couldn't see anything that would be bluetooth or otherwise. I'll have to check for myself.

Seems like you've just lost your first (farmer's) bet.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    webmail, are you talking about Zeevo's new small one chip Bluetooth solution??

This is the only cool hardware based possibility that I can think of and may elude investigation since it's just one small chip and the company markings might be unrecognizable.

This thing would be cool though at only $5 dollars a chip for Apple Computer and then you could transmit CD-quality sound to provide wireless connections to stereo headphones, headsets, or speakers without sacrificing audio quality.

This would be a close call though because as far as I can tell, Zeevo started shipping these on the same day that Apple Computer announced the new 4G iPod.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    That would be pretty cool as you could then bluetooth your music to bluetooth headphones....

Apple= wireless life

ok now as he stares at trusty old 3g and thinks handmedown@60gig ....

<drool>

has anyone opened up the airport express yet???

if this thread is correct then what if there is some hidden chip in the AEX?

hmmm...
  • Reply 13 of 40
    i highly doubt the wireless funtionality is built in. Rather, the support for it is....
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I've been waiting for the obligatory someone to rip their 4G apart to inspect the mobo. There would have to be evidence of an antenna, or hookup for one, or a BT/WiFi controller chip somewhere.

Anyone want to pop open their new baby and post pics?

the guys over at ipodding.com already ripped a 4G open. they posted pics here:

http://ipodding.com/modules.php?set_...iew_album.php:)
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by zpapasmurf

i highly doubt the wireless funtionality is built in. Rather, the support for it is....

Are you my echo?

(See my post above)
  • Reply 16 of 40
    spytapspytap Posts: 50member
    Two items for quick review:

1) Wireless is built in, antenna is not. Antenna sold seperately, connects through "remote" port atop 4G ipods.

2) 60 gig drive is for iPod "Pro" that allows for Home on iPod and is aimed at business professionals as a replacement to laptops. This is the reason for dock. Business buys a ton of computers, people log in to whichever, files are always on iPod, with the option to backup to computer. Ipod functions as iPod when off-dock, computer's settings file when docked/logged in. Dummy terminals allow for "your" computer wherever you go, with the ability to either backup or erase all info once you leave the terminal.

Must go now, Boss must not know I posted this.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spytap

Two items for quick review:

1) Wireless is built in, antenna is not. Antenna sold seperately, connects through "remote" port atop 4G ipods.

2) 60 gig drive is for iPod "Pro" that allows for Home on iPod and is aimed at business professionals as a replacement to laptops. This is the reason for dock. Business buys a ton of computers, people log in to whichever, files are always on iPod, with the option to backup to computer. Ipod functions as iPod when off-dock, computer's settings file when docked/logged in. Dummy terminals allow for "your" computer wherever you go, with the ability to either backup or erase all info once you leave the terminal.

Must go now, Boss must not know I posted this.

are you speculating? Or is your "Boss" Apple Computers?
  • Reply 18 of 40
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    What about this scenario:

Apple has made/licenced a propretary wireless standard to act as a remote for APExpress. Might there be a similar chip inside the APEX ? (one of those "undeciphered" ones from ipodin.com ?

How about the follwing:

- Buy an external antenna (aka. iTrip) to function as a remote for the APEX.

- Hook up your iPod to any capable printer to print photos directly to the printer, without going through the computer

- Hook up iPod to Printer to print CD covers

BoeManE
  • Reply 19 of 40
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spytap

2) 60 gig drive is for iPod "Pro" that allows for Home on iPod and is aimed at business professionals as a replacement to laptops. This is the reason for dock. Business buys a ton of computers, people log in to whichever, files are always on iPod, with the option to backup to computer.

No, its not.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

No, its not.