G5-2.5 shipping dates.

Comments

• Reply 121 of 335
    Just talked to the Apple Store - my 2.5 G5 has been delayed from 7/30 to 8/20 !!! (I ordered mine 5:59am 6/9/04, so I'm near the top of the list).

When I asked for a reason for the delay, I was switched over to one of their help teams. "John" told me all 2.5 G5 have been delayed, but he didn't have an explanation. Said mine should be one of the first when they finally start to ship.

Not sure what I'll do for the next 3 weeks.
  • Reply 122 of 335
    dude, calm down with that submit button...
  • Reply 123 of 335
    Please sign this petition so that apple gets a piece of our mind and never takes its customers lightly again:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Apple_G5/petition.html

• Reply 124 of 335
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SwitchingSoon

Please sign this petition so that apple gets a piece of our mind and never takes its customers lightly again:

" target="_blank">http://www.petitiononline.com/Apple_...ion.html<br />

It seems like a good idea, but why bother? Does Apple really care what the ~1% of the mac community, particularly the AI group, may have to say?

If they wanted to take this advice, they would have heeded one of the previous 10 complaint threads about iPods, PWR. books, and lets not forget the G5 launch mishap (VT supercomputer) that pissed off a lot more than the AI crowd, and Steves only responce was to say in not so manny words "Tough nutz! We got your $ and you will get the systems when we get good and f***ing ready to ship it to you!"
  • Reply 125 of 335
    it's worth a shot.

if what you say about apple being so heartless is true, then what makes them any better than microsoft? why do some apple fanatics continually cut slack for apple.

maybe apple was always destined to have less than 5% market share.

besides, when a few people even go through the effort to complain, it SHOULD mean something to ANY business.

I watched on cspan a guy from a news station that said if 40-50 people out of 500,000 go through the effort to complain about something, the news station corrects its ways....
  • Reply 126 of 335
    fugimaxfugimax Posts: 31member
    Just as an update, I'm still getting "On or before 7/30" ...

BTO with bluetooth, 1GB, 6800 ...

Ordered 7/12 through ADC.

I expect my delay email tomorrow.
  • Reply 127 of 335
    kcom2006kcom2006 Posts: 69member
    Well, I place my ADC order with apple on July 9th at 9:59am and was subsequently given a July 30th estimated ship date along with everyone else.

The Computer Configuration is as follows:

2.5DPG5 CTO - Z0AC

2.5GHz PowerPC G5

2 GB DDR400 (PC3200)-2X256

250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm

8x Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL

Airport Extreme Card

BT+Apple WrlsKybd & Mouse

Mac OS X

Final Cut Express 2

Granted Apple stated that the 6800 card wouldn't be available until the end of August. I was told by ADC that it shouldn't be a problem and that I should probably still get it on the expected date. There are even reports of 6800 G5's shipping.

Anyways, this morning I got the infamous change of my estimated ship date until September 13th!!!

All I know is Apple better hurry up and ship these computers! I'm livid and demand better treatment as an Apple Developer!

Apple waited an entire year for the announcement of this upgrade... what is two more months and an announcment that states "Ships Immediately!"
  • Reply 128 of 335
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    just called apple tech--theres nothing they can do to speed up the order anybody planning to call them should jsut save their time.
  • Reply 129 of 335
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KCOM2006

Well, I place my ADC order with apple on July 9th at 9:59am and was subsequently given a July 30th estimated ship date along with everyone else.

The Computer Configuration is as follows:

2.5DPG5 CTO - Z0AC

2.5GHz PowerPC G5

2 GB DDR400 (PC3200)-2X256

250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm

8x Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL

Airport Extreme Card

BT+Apple WrlsKybd & Mouse

Mac OS X

Final Cut Express 2

Granted Apple stated that the 6800 card wouldn't be available until the end of August. I was told by ADC that it shouldn't be a problem and that I should probably still get it on the expected date. There are even reports of 6800 G5's shipping.

Anyways, this morning I got the infamous change of my estimated ship date until September 13th!!!

All I know is Apple better hurry up and ship these computers! I'm livid and demand better treatment as an Apple Developer!

Apple waited an entire year for the announcement of this upgrade... what is two more months and an announcment that states "Ships Immediately!"

Well, I sympathise with you of course. Mine was moved from 7/28 to "on or before 9/9".

The key here is that Apple (apparently) posts the worst case shipping date by default. The actual shipping date could actually be before that, something I was told by the ADC phone support staff on two separate occasions (two different representatves).

Anyhow, at least yours ships on MY birthday!!

• Reply 130 of 335
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I guess if I order an apple from the apple online store, I should plan on it 2 months after it is supposed to ship...

Sounds like a plan to me...
  • Reply 131 of 335
    jjjj Posts: 48member
    Yup. This is one thing that pisses me off to no end about apple. Of course there are other shortcomings... but they are merely annoyances compared to the incessant shipping delays. We're talking about 3k+ purchases that more often then not are tools people use to make their livelihood. I'm not sure where the problems lie (supply chain, etc)... but regardless of who's fault it is you think a company like apple would have figured out how to meet demands and promptly ship machines by now. Unforeseen Malaysian earthquakes messing up the worlds RAM supply is one thing, but CONSISTENTLY shipping products late with no real explanation is a poor practice. I dont know about you guys, but for me an honest explanation of the situation can often go a long ways.
  • Reply 132 of 335
    Just ordered mine last night.

2.5DPG5/1GB/250/SD/R9600XT: On or before 09/13/2004

\t2.5GHz PowerPC G5

\t1GB MB DDR400 (PC3200)-2X512

\t250GB Serial ATA-7200rpm

\t8x Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

\tATI Rad9600 XT x/128MB DDR

APPLE CIN DISPLAY 20": On or before 08/27/2004

GRETAG MACBETH I1: On or before 08/03/2004

ADC TO DVI: On or before 08/03/2004
  • Reply 133 of 335
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well really there is no point getting annoyed with Apple. they don't have our money and they are more upset about it than we are. Their whole business is looking terrible at the moment, they can't ship PowerMacs and can't ship the new iMacs either and it looks like it's all IBM's fault. If it wasn't for the iPod apples share price would hit the floor.

Apple will be hopping mad about this fiasco, they had terrible luck with Motorola, now they have IBM who are committed to the product but have technical problems.

Wouldn't it be nice to see some real progress from the suppliers of third party products, such as video cards and processors, Apple could do with some luck.
  • Reply 134 of 335
    mac1mac1 Posts: 4member
    Just yesterday I had to deal with the delay in shipment from July 30 to August 20.

Today, I got the "shipment notification" email!!!!! YEAH!!!!

I hope the same thing happens to all of you.

I ordered mine on June 29th.

Debby
  • Reply 135 of 335
    You see, all the people on all the macforums complained about this shipping date slip, and they all bitched and went on for numerous posts, and I mentioned to them that those dates don't really mean a thing, and what do you know, they are shipping..

and since you ordered rather late, many others will follow, and hopefully mine as well (ordered 13th of june)
  • Reply 136 of 335
    how the heck did HE beat us? i ordered the 13th as well?

i'm sorry, but that's not really fair.. :-(
  • Reply 137 of 335
    jjjj Posts: 48member
    The orders that are showing up as shipped now must not have the 6800.

Maybe all the dates got moved to 8/20 but that was just for the 6800.
  • Reply 138 of 335
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    As I said in another thread, mine has also shipped and I think folks are right about the video card issue slowing things down. I ordered mine with the stock 9600, which is perhaps why I'll get mine before others. Dunno.
  • Reply 139 of 335
    fugimaxfugimax Posts: 31member
    I just called Apple's Enterprise division (ADC) and when I told her my ship date, the woman said it was from an update that got sent through the system with a large number of "false" dates. She took my name and telelphone number and is going to call back as soon as things are straightened out.

It sounds like something pretty "bad" went down and they can't really give anyone ship dates at the moment. So if you called the normal Apple Store #, be aware that the dates they are giving you are probably just what's on your order status page and that may change over the course of today.
  • Reply 140 of 335
    novablasnovablas Posts: 12member
    Hold on then, if you guys who ordered right when the Dual 2.5s came out are getting it delayed to September, what about the people like me who ordered when the new displays and video cards were announced? My ship date right now is by 8/31 so will mine get delayed until the end of September or are they only having problems with the first batch of shipments???