12" or 15"???

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    Futuremac,

I think you'll like the 17"PB. The battery life depends on the use of the PB. If you are running heavy duty apps like photoshop, the battery life will be minimal. If you use it for surfing th web or word processing the life will be much better. The 17"PB is really a nice machine.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    This probably belongs in future hardware, but it would be great if Apple segmented the bottom end of the Powerbook range further: stop producing the 12" and replace it with (1) a fully featured 13.3" wide screen (alleviating the size concern that most people have) and (2) a 10" ultraportable (no CD, limited expansion) plus dock so that you can sync it with the desktop. The 10" would need ethernet, modem, fw, usb, wifi and bluetooth for the road but no extra video. Could compare it with a a scaled down IBM X30 - sub 2lb.

The Powerbook range then would look like: 10" ultraportable, 13.3", 15" and 17" (fully featured)
  • Reply 43 of 56
    wesleywesley Posts: 22member
    I would love a 13 inch fully featured notebook...it would solve all of my problems. I dont think a 10 inch screen would work...

Their powerbook line should include:

a 12 inch sub-notebook, under 2 lbs.

a 13 inch fully featured notebook, around 5 lbs.

the 15 inch

and the 17 inch.

sony actually has a 13 inch wide screen coming out in a few weeks...check it out here.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wesley

sony actually has a 13 inch wide screen coming out in a few weeks...check it out here.

Looks like Sony is taking a leaf out of Apple's book by partially setting the panel back from the main unit. Quite a neatly designed machine.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Well, I just made my purchase...

After two months of 65 hour work weeks I finally saved up the money to buy the 15" powerbook and 20gig ipod (cram and jam)!

I can't wait till they get here!

Now what are the must-haves????

Thanks for your help, everyone...
  • Reply 46 of 56
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    That Sony 13" looks interesting, but the orice looks a little steep. I still like the Apple computers and feel that they should consider dropping the 12" PB and make a 13" PB instead.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    if apple offered a 13 inch widescreen, this decision would have been a no brainer for me.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    mnarcisomnarciso Posts: 29member
    Wesley,

I am currently kind of in your situation. I cannot decide between 12 or 15". I am currently selling my IBM T40p. I loved that laptop! There is a lot to be missed about it but due to my obsession to learn new things and try out new things I am going for the Powerbook. However my deal is budget. I simply cannot afford the extra money for the 15".

The T40p/41p is amazing but so are the Powerbooks! I'd say you'd be happy with whichever way you go. Think of IBM Thinkpad's as the Powerbook's of PC Laptops. IBM's are simply the best laptops for the PC side.

Anyway I've been reading this post and I was just bout to post which I should get but I think 12" is the ticket for me! I'm going to end up getting one of those 23" displays and have it switch between my PC machine and Laptop.

Good luck Wesley!
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Thanks!

I actually ended up going for the 15 inch (1.33 model)...

i finally realsized that i value screen size more than i do portability.

Here's what i got:

1.33 15"

80gig 5400 rpm HD

backlit keyboard

20gig ipod

Total cost (edu):

$2043 after rebate

I plan buying a 512 stick of ram from crucial...What else should i buy???

Apple Care will be bought in 90 days. whats the point of buying it immediately???
  • Reply 50 of 56
    no point in buying the apple care immediately, however i do suggest buying it after 90 days. The people at the retail stores really really push you to buy it right away though which is kind of annoying. However, that the longer you wait you might end up forgetting and there is a 1 year limit to buy it. If you don't buy it within the year your stuck with a warrantyless laptop.

I to want the 15" but I realize I cannot afford it and would still be extra happy with a 12" since I would be using a larger monitor at home anyway and would like the portability to when i go everywhere else. I carry a messenger bag and it fits perfectly in my messenger bag.

As for getting things, I'd say get a Wifi Router to enjoy your new laptop wirelessly anywhere in your house =)!

Also can you buy any kind of RAM for the MAC? I too buy Crucial RAM and I hear Crucial manufactures the RAM defaulted in the Apple. Is it cheaper to buy straight from Crucial? If so I will not do the upgrade at the store. I plan on buying mine today!
  • Reply 51 of 56
    I would have totally jumped on the 12 inch if i already had a monitor at home...sounds like you are going to have a pretty sweet set up!

YES definitely buy the RAM from crucial and install it yourself.

a 512 stick is $100 bucks through crucial.

a 512 stick through apple is what? $260?!?!

www.crucial.com
  • Reply 52 of 56
    ikaika Posts: 52member
    I was going to make a new topic, but this one seems kind of relevant with the Thinkpad comparisons and all...

I'm getting this T42 for free as a scholarship due to my godlike SAT verbal score 2.5 years ago. It's a really good computer, but I've got this weird urge to use the money I'm not spending on it for a 12" 1.33GH Powerbook.

Am I stupid?

People say Macs are best for digital art type uses and I plan to be doing more of that in the future, but is this true? What makes them better? Is the hardware faster when doing such things?

Is it just shiny? The GUI IS cool, but I'd feel like a bad person for wasting almost $2000 on it.

This is going to bother me until I either buy one or discover a good reason not to. Advice would be appreciated.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Ika I went the reverse route as you. I sold my Thinkpad and got a 12" and boy I've never been happier. I think its more practical to have a 12" Powerbook over a thinkpad. If you get the student discount the 12" at base price is 1400 dollars. Buy the ram elsewhere and you can get a 12" Powerbook with 768 megs of Ram for under 1600 dollars. Its lightweight, stylish, the GUI and operating system is excellent. I downloaded the tryout of CS and I already love it more on the Apple then a thinkpad.

Apple's LCD screens are among the best too the colors are that much more vibrant then a thinkpad. Granted the thinkpad has SXGA high resolution 1400x1050 on a 14" screen the colors seemed washed out.

Save some money and get a 12" and just buy a large monitor later. You can still have a PC but I'd say spend the money on a PC as a desktop and you can run both OS's. I am so happy with my 12" PB!

If you go to MacUpdate.com you can see that you can do pretty much everything a pc can. I'd say the 12" PB isn't the best at playing games, however it plays all my current Blizzard games really well so I'm a happy camper.

They are both great laptops but I say go 12" PB! But then again your getting the Thinkpad for free... you could sell the thinkpad. Good luck!
  • Reply 54 of 56
    ikaika Posts: 52member
    OK, I feel more informed, but you just raised a few more questions for me.

How hard is it to install RAM yourself? Macmall.com has a free upgrade to 512, which makes the student discount seem a bit less necessary. Or at least it looks it. Is buying cheaper memory elsewhere really safe and worthwhile?

Is there a cheap way to use PC software? I'd worry about selling the T42 because it's compatible with all software my school requires for classes.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    So just keep the laptop, its free and after all thinkpads are the best laptops made for the PC world.

Since your a student almost all things benefit you with Apple you get a lot of discounts.

Ok with the powerbook you get about 200 - 300 dollars knocked off the price. 1399 for 12" base model powerbook then for 512 ram you can get it from Crucial which is 100 bucks. So for around 1500 dollars you get 768 ram total. The things that gets expensive is all the nice things you will want to buy with your powerbook. The cool looking keyboard, mouse, speakers, powerbook stand, its addicting!

There is tons of freeware for both pc and mac. Since Mac runs on a Unix base you can find tons of software that are free. If you want you should keep both or if you don't feel like spending the money just keep the T42 its a great laptop but if your feeling like its christmas i'd say the 12" will surely make you happy.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    12 inch and 17"display combo is a good choice