Airport Card for older Powerbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A friend of mine has a Powerbook (TI) 800mhz. It is not airport-extreme ready. Where can he get a compatible airport card if apple no longer makes them? It seems nuts that he can't upgrade his powerbook!

Any help appreciated

Mandricard

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    There's quite a few on eBay... you'll need to spend around $150.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Also, if your friend doesn`t mind using the PC Card slot, they could pick up a PCMCIA 802.11g card. Since last summer, the Airport software has recognised such cards without the need for additional drivers and treats them as Airport cards, plus you get the speed of the Extreme.

One note of caution though: the PC Card has to be based on the Broadcom chipset.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    wow. eBay is the only option? Has Apple just decided to shaft its owners of older machines?

Mandricard
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

wow. eBay is the only option? Has Apple just decided to shaft its owners of older machines?

Mandricard

That's the way it seems. Can't imagine why. Apple owners are pretty loyal, but if they keep doing stuff like this...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by rlindeman

There's quite a few on eBay... you'll need to spend around $150.

150? I just picked one up on ebay NIB for $66 plus $8 shipping.

I agree with Mandricard though, that was a pretty lame move to stop selling the 802.11b AirPort cards right when they come out with a cool new wireless gadget that <GASP> some Mac users with older equipement might want to use...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by opuscroakus

150? I just picked one up on ebay NIB for $66 plus $8 shipping.

I agree with Mandricard though, that was a pretty lame move to stop selling the 802.11b AirPort cards right when they come out with a cool new wireless gadget that <GASP> some Mac users with older equipement might want to use...

Apparently the price has gone up after Apple stopped selling them. This morning the top price seems to be around $115.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Your friend may be better off with a 3rd party PC Card based 11g solution. If I remember correctly, the placement of the antenna in the TIBooks make the reception lousy.

As far as Apple no longer selling them, it's disappointing that they didn't put out a release stating that they were going to discontinue selling them at a certain point and give folks time to get one. On the flip side, 11g has been out for over a year and a half and the whole product line is on it. I can't imagine Apple was selling many of these cards. I remember seeing them in the refurb store for $69 a several weeks ago.

I'd tell your friend to let the demand die off for a few months if he can wait. If he bought it new, he's waited over 18 months already . I bet he'll be able to get one on eBay for less than $100 after the rush is over. Right now panic buying and hoarding has set in.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    This is just nuts!!!!!!!!! Can third parties not build anything for that slot?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

This is just nuts!!!!!!!!! Can third parties not build anything for that slot?

Sure they can but can they supply the drivers.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    johnhenryjohnhenry Posts: 152member
    I just purchased an airport card for my mothers older ibook through amazon

It ran about 90 or 100 with shipping through small dog

It was a refurb however.

Now, i think this is horsehockey as my mother just got this ibook! A year/year and a half ago!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Yup. I'm having the same problem... I have a Titanium 15" Powerbook. Was first in line to buy it. I never bought an Airport Card....But I was probably the first in line to buy an Airport Express, only to find out later that the Airport Card, which is all my Titanium can use is not avail.

MacMall sold me a Sonnet Aria extreme Card for the PC slot....All the specs say it should work with my TiBook, but I can't seem to get the computer to recognize it....I have all the updated Airport software installed.

Any thoughts from anybody??
  • Reply 12 of 13
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    What version of OS X are you using?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

What version of OS X are you using?

I am using 10.3.4