Do Apple stores have Airport Express in stock?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was curious if Apple stores have Airport Express in stock? I live about 2.5 hours from a store, so I wondered what my chances would be of them having one. Thanks for the help.

Also, will they give the educational discounts, in-store? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Probably now, but the local shops were selling out of them a week ago. You can always call...

Yes, they give the educational discount on Apple hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    SOHO didn't have any and had no idea when they'd be getting more as of 2 days ago.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    What do the stores take as proof for educational discount? For students does it need to be a school ID?

What about for teachers? What sort of documentation do they need?

We have students and teachers in the house, so I'm trying to see which would be easier to prove.

Finally, am I right that you can print to a printer connected to Airport Express from a Windows and Mac machine without problem? Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    gparkgpark Posts: 9member
    I just called one of my local apple store too.

Yeah they have it in stock.

I'm getting one tomorrow. They say I need a school I.D. and a driver's license.

-Tom-
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Yeah, for the printer I think Apple has it on their web.

Windows works in the following printers I guess.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107418

Also, a review from ARS says Express is both good for Windows and MAC.

I'm wondering....about linux.... hmmm..

-Tom-
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Hi. I have another question on the airport express. Does it have exceptional signal strength? I ask because a typical wireless router would be elevated somewhat, but I would have to plug the AE near the floor. Could that shorten my wireless range? Yes, I know I could get two of them, but I'm not going to fork over $250 at one time for AE, but maybe in the future I would add the second.

I wonder if a teacher association card and and regular ID would be sufficient for teachers to get the discount?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I don't know. I didn't get it yet.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/004/a...express-1.html

try this review.

pretty useful.

-Tom-
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Do Apple stores accept Apple loan. It would be easy if they could just bring-up my Apple loan. Would I need the account number? Thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    haha. Am I an unofficial salesman for Apple? I don't know. I never used Apple Loan before. Why don't you call them first.

-Tom
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I got one from the Towsen, MD store on Friday night, and they had five on the shelves + mine. Yet to find a 20GB 4G iPod though.

I run sound for the youth at my church, so tested the AirTunes through the sound system. I had the station, plugged in inside of a heavy duty wood cabinet with metal mounting rails, and tons of cabling and was able to walk outside a good 100ft away from the station (metal studs in part of the building) without signal or quality loss. (I had someone inside listening, and i could have gotten further myself, except I couldn't here the music anymore)

That should show something for signal strength.

Oh yes, PowerBook G4 1.25 15" with AirPort Extreme.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Thanks. I was on holiday near two store locations, and that is why I was hoping to get an AE, but they were both sold-out. Oh well, I guess I will place an Apple.com or Amazon.com order.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Hi. I have another question on the airport express. Does it have exceptional signal strength?

Yes. Yes it does. I was pleasantly surprised by the signal strength of the first one I tried, which did better than an ABS extreme as well as a D-Link in the same location.