12 inch powerbook Questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i am kind of already choosing the 12" cuz i Really like the portability and already own a normal 17" lcd monitor which i will be using both at the same time while working on it, the only thing i will be using the PB for by itself is to perform live electronic music, u all think the display is too small for that?

1. what does it mean that the 15" has 1gigabit ethernet and the 12" has 10/100/1000 ethernet etc etc?? i have a linksys wireless router here which is what i plan to use for my 12" to connect to the net with airport or w.e

2. does the 12" have no sound? i have looked everywhere in the quicktime VR presentation of it, and see no site of sound or speakers.. this seems weird to me because even the ibooks have tiny speakers..

3. how much does the cable for s-video cost? cable for composite video? and does it take away quality, it being a cable instead of a direct s-video/composite out from the pb?

4. pc card whats good about that? firewire800, i Think i can do without it unless u all think theres something great for it when it comes to audio video work? or other features?

5. and finally, is it difficult installing ur own ram? even so, where are some instructions on doing so? will my warranty be voided because of this, if yes how much to install at a macstore (and when will i get my pb back)? i am going to order the 512 stick from crucial (i lost the link if someone could provide it for me plz)

-i will be taking advantage of the cram and jam and maybe some other deals from apple like the printer deal & education

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I can answer a couple of your questions. The RAM is MEGA EASY to install. It will not hurt your warranty. www.crucial.com is Crucial's site. You can just go through the scroll menus to find your Powerbook and the compatible RAM.

The PC card would be good if you wanted to add on a component of some kind. For example, T-Mobile has these wireless cards that allow you to use the Internet from virtually anywhere. You would need a PC slot to slide that card in. The PC card is also commonly used for Wi-fi cards, etc.

The s-video cable is less than $20. The 12 inch Powerbook has speakers.

Gigabit ethernet is up to 10 times faster than the 10/100 ethernet. However, you would need all your routers and other computers to have the gigabit cards, so if they don't, it isn't really an issue.

I hope this gives you a start.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    If you don't think the screen is too small, then it's not too small. I like the 12" size personally. To answer your questions:

1. Gigabit ethernet is the same thing as 10/100/1000. Hence the 1000.

2. Um......yes all the laptop's have speakers...... The VR might not but trust me they have them.

3. Google it considering I am to lazy too....

4. If you can't think of any good reasons to have Firewire 800, then chances are you aren't going to use it. There are External Firewire Hard Drives that use Firewire 800 so if you need one then it might be worth it......

5. Putting the RAM in the PowerBook is so simplistic anyone that knows how to work a screwdriver can do it. There is a plate on the bottom held by a couple screws that you take off and then you slide in the RAM stick. As to where crucial is try http://www.crucial.com ............................
  • Reply 3 of 14
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    awesome that about makes me ready to purchase

final concerns:

does it have a slot or is it able to have a pc card installed if i ever feel like having a cellular modem (doubtful but just in case)

and does using the wire for s-video/component reduce the quality becuz the s-video/component out isnt directly on the pb?

i am now going to attempt selling my Very good condition 15" PowerBook 850+mhz, 512mb ram, 40gb hd, airport installed, panther osx 10.3.4 original discs, everything updated, plus hella software, proof of purchase thingy for ilife and osx, instruction books, stickers, etc etc. so that i can get some cash (wonder how much i can get for that?) and purchase my 12 incher =] any tips on household items or any thing i can buy at a store that might remove minor dings/scratches and make it look newer? and something to take away that keyboard imprint on the lcd?

thank you so much! i hope the cram and jam is still available... they said september but i dont see it on the site anymore... lucky for me i thought ahead and saved the coupon... think theyd honor it?

• Reply 4 of 14
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D3ct

does it have a slot or is it able to have a pc card installed if i ever feel like having a cellular modem (doubtful but just in case)

Sorry, no slot on the 12-inch.

Quote:

and does using the wire for s-video/component reduce the quality becuz the s-video/component out isnt directly on the pb?

No.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    EBay for the 15" as I have an iMac G4 I am thinking of selling....check prices there.

As for the Cram and Jam check the dates on the coupon.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    xterra48xterra48 Posts: 169member
    I thought that the 12" pb comes with a cable that has both s-video and rca video out. mini jack to rca stereo audio out cable is not included but is like 5 bucks at radio shack. composite video will require an additional adapter.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

2. does the 12" have no sound? i have looked everywhere in the quicktime VR presentation of it, and see no site of sound or speakers.. this seems weird to me because even the ibooks have tiny speakers..

Of course the 12" PB has speakers. A quick look at Apple's tech specs confirm it. They are located on the back and bounce sound off the screen.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

final concerns:

Think Bluetooth.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    ikaika Posts: 52member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Of course the 12" PB has speakers. A quick look at Apple's tech specs confirm it. They are located on the back and bounce sound off the screen.

Do they rattle the keys when in use?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    It rattles so bad sometimes you can't even type, it's crazy....espically when you have a lot of bass.....might as well quit trying to type or focus for that mater
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ika

Do they rattle the keys when in use?

You need to use smilies so I can tell if you're being sarcastic or serious.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    ikaika Posts: 52member
    So the answer is yes then?

Or maybe no?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    djmbdjmb Posts: 120member
    pretty sure: no
  • Reply 14 of 14
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

You could use a Bluetoothed phone as a cellular modem