Installing MacOS X (10.2 or 10.3) over a Network

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

my father's got an original bondi-blue iMac (Rev. B). I'd like to install MacOS X 10.2 or 10.3 on it. Unfortunately the internal CD drive of that iMac doesn't work properly any more.

Now, my quiz: Would it be possible to do a network installation of MacOS X, using my iBook g3/800 as a "Server"?

Greetings,

durandal

P.S. @Mods: Feel free to move this to the Genius Bar, if you think that'd be a more appropriate place...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    off hand, I would say you need something like Remote Desktop in order to do that...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    You can do a net install if you had Mac OS X Server around.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    You could connect the two Macs together using firewire and put one of them into target disk mode.

Just an idea.

Mike
  • Reply 4 of 8
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

You could connect the two Macs together using firewire and put one of them into target disk mode.

Just an idea.

Mike

Hi Mike,

thanks for the hint. Might be a bit hard to connect an iMac Rev. B via FireWire, given the fact that these machines don't have any FW port But it should work w/ a crossover ethernet connection as well, shouldn't it?

Greetings,

durandal
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Sorry, I am new to the Mac scene and don't really know a lot about older Apple machines. I am just trying to suggest ideas that might work or inspire other workarounds.

Mike
  • Reply 6 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by King Chung Huang

You can do a net install if you had Mac OS X Server around.

Without a working CD or DVD drive KCH has posted the only other way to get the job done (in any practical way).

1 - CD Install

2 - Firewire disk mode link to a working machine - booting from the install CD

3 - Netinstall via OS X server

4 - Yank out the HD and pop it into a working machine

In short I'd try and replace the drive if I were you... Admittedly working on an iMac is *not* fun so be prepared to spend some time.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Uh... USB CD DVD or CDR drive? Even I've got one of those hanging around. Just a thought...

I could be wrong but did the rev B iMac support booting over USB - I didn't think so... This would be a potential solution (all be it s-s-s-s-l-l-l-l-o-o-o-o-w-w-w-w-w-&-p-a-i-n-f-u-l) but it could very well be an option and you gotta know somebody who has a USB CD drive...

Anyone know for sure if a rev B iMac can boot over USB?

Still buying a CD driver would be the best way to go - and probably cheaper than buying a USB cd drive and definitely faster - not to mention a longer term fix.

Dave