Scat

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Thought I'd start a fun, non-political thread for our amusement in these troubled times...

No, this isn't another thread about strange sexual practices or bathroom habits (or both in combination, as the title might infer to some of the more perverted of us).

Rather this thread is entitled the:

Stupid Contrived Acronyms Thread

Waiting for a train in the MTR (an acceptable acronym) the other day, I came across a couple of doozies in the billboard adverts across from the platform.

One was an ad for a new color laser printer from Samsung which includes the company's patented "NO-NOIS(TM)" technology. NO-NOIS(TM) stands for "Nonorbital Noiseless Optical Imaging System" . At first I thought it referred to image noise, but it basically means the printer is quiet.

The other, even more idiotic one, was on a billboard promoting the Hong Kong's scheme for improving workplace English. The scheme is co-sponsored by "SCOLAR" (no typo). It's the "Standing Committee on Language Education and Research". Hopefully those subsidized Workplace English courses will include basic spelling concepts.

Have any of you got more to share?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I think half the military budget goes toward making these up.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Look up "FRT" with regard to herring behavior.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The USA-PATRIOT act: Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism.

I bet they came up with the acronym first and then tried to figure out a title that would fit.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    TWAIN scanner driver: Technology Without An Interesting Name
  • Reply 5 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    POS

um, Point-Of-Sale.

I'm serious. Spend a day in the retail world (or in the commercial electronics industry) and you'll learn this to be true.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

POS

um, Point-Of-Sale.

I'm serious. Spend a day in the retail world (or in the commercial electronics industry) and you'll learn this to be true.

my boss is often on the phone talking about POS b/c we are buying some new version or something. apparently its a real pos.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    If you need RFID cashless payment solutions in your POS terminals, call me.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I like Gnu's Not Unix, myself. Recursive acronyms are simply so h4x0r.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I like Gnu's Not Unix, myself. Recursive acronyms are simply so h4x0r.

Yeah, I hate that. Even worse with GNU/HURD...