Who works for a living? (AI job thread)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 134member
    unfortunately never been to Alaska.

And with 'we' you mean Holland? If so, no, no assets at all from the air. We have 3 submarine, but those are goners....
  • Reply 22 of 82
    I don't really consider it "working" for a living, but I get paid to fly airplanes.

It's fun, it's never the same thing twice, I get to live where it never snows !

I have actually "worked" in the past, and I don't care to repeat that experience. As someone else already said ... find something you really LOVE to do and you'll never have to "work" again ... and chasing the $$ quits being your highest priority.

The real thing that drove me to even post in this thread though, was Carol A's post...

As for her comments on the state of our school system ... I couldn't agree more. Most of the teachers would love to do better, but the regulations and politics forced on the school system is destroying our public schools. My home-schooled 5 year old reads books like "Little House on the Prarie" and such with total understanding and retention. One-on-one teaching makes a big difference, but it goes to show what kids are capable of learning if the teachers were allowed to teach.

I'll quit now before I start ranting
  • Reply 23 of 82
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I'm an associate professor of physics at a relatively large public institution(with tenure, yay!). It's fun.

I hate teaching (especially undergraduates)!
  • Reply 24 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carol A

. If I could tour a nuclear submarine, my life would be complete.

I've been on four so far. 3 688's and a 637. Best damn service in the Navy. Period.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by His Dudeness

I've been on four so far. 3 688's and a 637. Best damn service in the Navy. Period.

Are there any 637's in service still?

Next, is the saying true that 100 men go down, and 50 couples come up?
  • Reply 26 of 82
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sparhawk

unfortunately never been to Alaska.

And with 'we' you mean Holland? If so, no, no assets at all from the air. We have 3 submarine, but those are goners....

In the state I was in yesterday ( ), I assumed you were in the American navy. I *did* wonder about it when you said you were more laid-back in Curacao than in Holland, but I generally have ways to explain away such things. heh

Do you have friends/relatives in Canada already, or did you just pick that country as a place you'd like to live? Canada IS amazingly wonderful in so many ways. Plus, the cutest guys in the world are Canadian.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Are there any 637's in service still?

Next, is the saying true that 100 men go down, and 50 couples come up?

Must have been (or currently are) on a target.

Parche is still in service. If I recall it was a Sturgeon class--been out for some time now.

[edit] I missid your response above about your job(s) description.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Did you ever fly P3C-Orions based in Alaska?

So, do we have any submarine reconnaissance aircraft now, and if so, what?

The last time I was in the Pacific Northwest, I spent four hours on the carrier Abraham Lincoln, during Navy Week in Seattle. I *really* loved riding that aircraft elevator - fast and incredibly smooth. wow! I bought a ton of great souvenirs. If I could tour a nuclear submarine, my life would be complete.

Oh, and I sat in a Tomcat at Miramar on a school field trip. That was definitely cool.

my girlfriend just spent a couple days on a nuclear submarine. said it was awesome. i was impressed by the fact they had 24 ergs (rowing machines) in the workout room.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuzzardsBay

Fortunately I'm still in school studying english, exciting eh?

Though when I'm not there I build dry stone walls, rebuild old and failing stone bridges or other structures and help design individuals yards. Not terribly exciting, but being outdoors is nice and it's a hell of a workout.

No concrete plans for the future, but that's okay I'm just building a solid foundation for the time being.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan -

Sounds like a fantastic combination of mental and physical. I think it would be tremendously satisfying to be instrumental in giving new life to an old stone bridge. Wow! Lots of symbolism inherent in such an occupation. You're in Mass., right? Just an observation: you sound very centered - a highly fortunate way to be.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

my girlfriend just spent a couple days on a nuclear submarine. said it was awesome. i was impressed by the fact they had 24 ergs (rowing machines) in the workout room.

Workout room!!! What the hell kind of submarine has a workout room? 688 workout room= any freespace in the engine room large enough for a stepper a bike or two and a cheesy dumbell/pulley system. Man I would have loved working out w/out having lube oil drip all over me. Must've been an Ohio or a shore queen Seawolf class.

Riders usually have a good time on a sub visit. Every one my boat hosted included a shallow emergency blow, we let the riders sit the helms/plans seats to steer the boat (in a straight line usually). We had surf and turf, and played with the alarms. Someone would run out dressed in full firefighting gear and the NIFTI(IR camera used in firefighting) was passed around. We'd pressureize a fire hose and run some forward drills. Occasionally riders would get to shoot a water slug from a torpedo tube or something from the 3" launcher. Good fun for all. Riders enjoyed the disorientation when the sub rigs for red (all lights are turned off except a few red lights along the major walkways and in the galley.

Man I wish my boat had a workout room.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    I'll ask her tonight what type of submarine it was. Right now she's doing flight training :o
  • Reply 32 of 82
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

You should see his computer.

Or even better:

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/os10geek/purchase.jpg

Here's my actual job: I work on deploying scalable solutions in a dynamic infrastructures. Specific, huh?
  • Reply 33 of 82
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Fourteen?! Omigod. It doesn't seem possible that anyone on these boards could be fourteen. Geez!

Cubedude is around my age, too, I think. And he joined a good two years before me. (And makes more intelligent posts)

Where do you teach, Carol? (Private or public, etc)
  • Reply 34 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Omg! She's SO lucky. Is she considering the Navy as a career? Did the sub put to sea, or did it just stay at the dock? I would *kill* to spend a few days on a sub. That's one thing that'll never happen. *sigh* I 'did' stand on a sub-tender berthed right next to a nuclear submarine. My imagination ran wild looking at all those missile ports. At least, that's what I assumed they were.

Well, I betcha all those rowing machines are to build everyone's upper body strength in case they have to ditch at sea. (Or maybe I've been watching too many movies. ) I can see that as being a rationale when those machines were requested as budgetary items; plus, they 'do' foster total-body fitness, and aren't as heavy as other types of machines.

Edit: Half this stuff was already answered above. Flight training. God, I *hate* this girl!!! (just kidding)
  • Reply 35 of 82
    Quote:

Omg! She's SO lucky. Is she considering the Navy as a career? Did the sub put to sea, or did it just stay at the dock? I would *kill* to spend a few days on a sub. That's one thing that'll never happen. *sigh* I 'did' stand on a sub-tender berthed right next to a nuclear submarine. My imagination ran wild looking at all those missile ports. At least, that's what I assumed they were.

Well, I betcha all those rowing machines are to build everyone's upper body strength in case they have to ditch at sea. (Or maybe I've been watching too many movies. ) I can see that as being a rationale when those machines were requested as budgetary items; plus, they 'do' foster total-body fitness, and aren't as heavy as other types of machines.

Do you live near a sub base or know someone on a sub? My boat rarley refused a tour when in port.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    Quote:

yea, she's in navy ROTC. So, she's at CORTAMID in San Diego this summer doing training. This week she has aviation training. Last week was sea or whatever. So she got to go on an air craft carrier overnight out at sea and then a submarine which also went out to sea for 2 days. Unfortunately it'll probably be the only time she ever gets to do that because of the Navy's bullshit.

She's majoring in chemical engineering and nuclear engineering so, she'll probably wind up on an an aircraft carrier or something.

Rowing machines are amazing. You work up an amazing sweat on them. But they are pretty repitious and I'm definitely not looking forward to going back to using them everyday in 3 weeks....sigh.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

Do you live near a sub base or know someone on a sub? My boat rarley refused a tour when in port.

Well, it would be easy to fly to San Diego.

I did meet a guy off a sub. He came to visit our school because his fiancee was an aid there, or something like that. But I don't remember his name. I *do* remember that he was extremely fit. Must've been on a sub with the rowing machines.

But surely subs only give tours to important people. Right? I don't hold that against them. It's understandable.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Or even better:

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/os10geek/purchase.jpg

Here's my actual job: I work on deploying scalable solutions in a dynamic infrastructures. Specific, huh?

I can't get this link to work, for some reason.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Cubedude is around my age, too, I think. And he joined a good two years before me. (And makes more intelligent posts)

Where do you teach, Carol? (Private or public, etc)

Hi Placebo -

As I said, I couldn't get the link to work, but you sound like an amazing person. That's *exactly* why I LOVE these boards, because the most incredible people hang out here!!! To me it's just a total pleasure to exchange views with such individuals.

I teach at a public school in an affluent area, in one of the states of the mountain West.

A year ago, I had completely heterogeneous classes, which included all the gifted students, as well as those with 4th-grade reading levels - all mixed together. So I had some kids reading Goosebumps books sitting next to some reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. But I am used to dealing with such incongruous situations; and it was a delight to have the gifted kids, such as you are yourself, I have no doubt.
  • Reply 40 of 82
    I'm a corporate lackey.

On a related note, I Like Vagina!