iPhone - Looks like the rumors were true...

Comments

• Reply 181 of 210
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    OMG, this again?!

[quote] I don't know if this is old news or not but try putting <a href="http://www.iphone.org"; target="_blank">www.iphone.org</a> your browsers address bar and see what happens.<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 182 of 210
    <a href="http://www.looprumors.com/"; target="_blank">Loop Rumors</a> provides their take on iPhone. They claim iPhone is an iApp designed to integrate with a home/small office firewire based phone system.

This certainly seems plausible. Microsoft has (had?) the <a href="http://www.reviewboard.com/Section/Household/132"; target="_blank">Microsoft Cordless Phone System</a>. I know there are other manufacturers making cordless phone systems designed to integrate with a Windows PC...just can't remember who they are now.

It would be nice to have my address book contacts automatically in my home phone. I wonder if Apple will make the phone or if there are 3rd party manufacturers that will be making iPhone compatible hardware?
  • Reply 183 of 210
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Firewire based phone system? Phones have firewire outputs now? I too believe it to be an iApp over iDevice. Nothing points to Apple making one, I'd more see Apple getting phone makers at least Ericson, to enable a feature set on phones that works with iPhone software.
  • Reply 184 of 210
    Phones have firewire outputs now?

The phone needs to connect to the computer somehow, so the address book data can be provided to the handset. The Microsoft phone used a serial cable!

Firewire seems like a logical way to connect the phone and computer. Didn't Apple just release IP over Firewire software? Sure, phones don't have firewire ports now. Neither do stereos or TVs. That may all be about to change...
  • Reply 185 of 210
    As I previously said, there is no Apple cellphone in the works. That is best left to those companies that know the business and make the devices. Loop Rumors is spot on.
  • Reply 186 of 210
    I don't see an Apple Cell phone. I'd buy one if Apple did it with colour screen with PDA functionality.

Maybe an app to isync with your mobile and organise PDA phone style info'? In small office context could be good?

Apple seems to be aiming for small bus'...so...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 187 of 210
    Check out this article <a href="http://www.onlinereporter.com/charts/tor327/tor327.html#2"; target="_blank">link.</a>

Interesting read, especially the part about releasing new phones in a few weeks. Sounds suspiciously like around MSWF time. I saw a report that iPhone was not a cell phone, but an integrated phone system for homes and small offices. This would make sense with this article. Apple hub, 3rd party phones.
  • Reply 188 of 210
    Just read THAT link.

They don't need an 'iphone' cell phone per say IF they have this deal of the century, they have 'control' of streaming media delivery?

The exposure in 'mindshare' advertising for Apple will be stunning.

That's quite a storming of the Fortress!

An 'iphone' app' to manage your streaming media, contacts, phone numbers...calendars...scheduling...

Hmmm. Hard to see...the future is... Still, if Apple COULD make a cell phone or equivalent add on for a colour iPod...boy, would this sort of stuff to be drive sales..?! An iPod derivative? Team up with a phone co. for an Apple branded cell phone? With this kind of backing...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 189 of 210
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Could iphone simply be a telephony software for OSX? that uses IP as well as conventional land lines and of course syncs with the address book. Maybe even a little video conferencing?

They could tie it in .Mac and let you call anyone via .Mac over IP.
  • Reply 190 of 210
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    dunno about you all... but here in Paris, while walking, taking the metro, riding the busses, etc... I SWEAR 80% of all advertising is friggen color MMS cell phones. Sagem, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Panasonic, Samsung... good god.

PS There is a pretty distinct iPod marketing campaign around here "Coming soon to a Christmas Tree near you" or something to that effect.

If Apple could come out with some different but VERY cool telephony device (like an iPod add on) it would kill.

I have seen some crazy ass phones. Transformers really... the bend, they flip, they have mini hi-fis, they make video, they prepare coffee... crazy I tell you.
  • Reply 191 of 210
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>As I previously said, there is no Apple cellphone in the works. That is best left to those companies that know the business and make the devices. Loop Rumors is spot on.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You could say the same thing about the iPod.

Seriously, you can't pretend you know everything. You are making assumptions, based on little tid bits you read off MacNN.

Unless people are going to be open minded about speculation, I think AppleInsider's Future Hardware forum is absolutely pointless.
  • Reply 192 of 210
    burnburn Posts: 49member
    My two bits

I think it may have already been mentioned here and there..

With iChat being a chat/messaging tool.. just seems to make sense to me that iPhone will introduce voice/maybe video streaming through Voice over IP? Integratded with iChat/AddressBook...

On a PC, MSN Messenger already has some of these functions(?)

No way is Apple producing a Cell Phone. I am buying a new phone soon so.. they better not anyway

[ 12-18-2002: Message edited by: Burn ]</p>
  • Reply 193 of 210
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    Sorry to come in late on the discussion, but has anyone here considered this would be a video phone? I remember when I was a kid and they were talking about how some day we would be able to see grandma while we talk to her. I think Quicktime/MP4 might be a good use in it.

What if the iPhone could be a standalone unit for a land-line that doesn't require a Mac/PC to use, but offers additional functionality if you do? I would think this type of device offers more of a market than just another cell phone. (know they have these but they suck and are expensive too)

When you think about the iPod, it wasn't the first, but it was certainly the best. IMO Apple is not in a position to offer "the best" cell phone, so I just don't expect it to be one.

Of course I have no reason to think any of this is true.

[ 12-18-2002: Message edited by: muah ]</p>
  • Reply 194 of 210
    There is simply sooooooo much that Apple could do in applying their renowned ease of use skills to the phone whether they be cordless, cellular, or computer based.

Given their digital hub strategy my guess is that it has to do with bringing the phone under the control of the computer rather than simply coming out with a better phone.

That's just my guess, but I'd love to be wrong and see Apple come out with a phone that is both cordless and wireless and has a 20 gig hard drive, an Mp3 player, a PDA, GPS, firewire, and bluetooth. A built in camera is optional (Hey, I'm not greedy
  • Reply 195 of 210
    Nostradamous,

The phone you want would have to work with every cell phone system in the U.S. and eventually in the Far East and Europe. It simply won't happen. Too expensive a proposition and not a money making situation. Cell phone companies make their money on the service contract and not on the hardware.
  • Reply 196 of 210
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Firewire based phone system? Phones have firewire outputs now? I too believe it to be an iApp over iDevice. Nothing points to Apple making one, I'd more see Apple getting phone makers at least Ericson, to enable a feature set on phones that works with iPhone software.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Bluetooth.

Someone, cant remember who, got quoted for saying something like this: "In the comming months, one of our favorite personal computer companys are going to release a bluetooth enabled gizmo" (Not gizmo, but U get the idea)

The iPhone, voice and image, can stand anywhere, and if U got a mac, well then you can sync the adressbook by bluetooth. :cool:
  • Reply 197 of 210
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    [quote]Originally posted by Burn:

<strong>My two bits

I think it may have already been mentioned here and there..

With iChat being a chat/messaging tool.. just seems to make sense to me that iPhone will introduce voice/maybe video streaming through Voice over IP? Integratded with iChat/AddressBook...

On a PC, MSN Messenger already has some of these functions(?)

No way is Apple producing a Cell Phone. I am buying a new phone soon so.. they better not anyway

[ 12-18-2002: Message edited by: Burn ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

With the recent release of IP over Firewire, it could be a desktop thingy that is connected to your mac through firewire.

Voila! VDO Phone over IP serviced by .Mac through a broadband connection.
  • Reply 198 of 210
    jdbonjdbon Posts: 109member
    I think the best way to implement such a technology is to make a device similar to the creative voice blaster. This discontinued devise was an external usb device which let people use their normal phones as VOIP phones. The device also contained a dsp chip for enhanced quality. I think a device, based onfire wire with simlar properties, plus the following would be great:

LCD screen with caller ID information,speakerphone capabilities,multiperson chat, a built in video cam (usb chat cam quality). The iPhone app would support major protocalls such as VOIP, Netmeeting,mp3/mp4. There are two things needed for this device and app two succeed:

Easy to config. the app will automatically detect the codec used and optimize settings.

Sound quality must be on par with regular phones when using 56k modems. Most people still use dialup, so it is important that the device works with these slower connections.

The quality of streamed mp3 and mp4s is acceptable over 56k, so I think that it is possible that Apple could use this technology to provide high quality, easy voice and video chat. A DSP chip may help as well.
  • Reply 199 of 210
    [quote]Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch:

Someone, cant remember who, got quoted for saying something like this: "In the comming months, one of our favorite personal computer companys are going to release a bluetooth enabled gizmo" <hr></blockquote>

David Pogue said (something like) that.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 200 of 210
    [quote]Originally posted by Jamil:

<strong>

With the recent release of IP over Firewire, it could be a desktop thingy that is connected to your mac through firewire.

Voila! VDO Phone over IP serviced by .Mac through a broadband connection. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Im with Jamil. Think about it. A DVCAM that can transfer video over a wireless connection (via wi-fi using paired IP addresses) *OR* over a wired connection (firewire using paired IP addresses). Apple has to include firewire for backwards compatibility and doesn't want to put a cat5 terminal on the camera there are already so many.... USB, Firewire, CF card, etc...

but really, who knows