Potential screen let-down on LCD iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just a thought. Correct me if I'm wrong about this resolution stuff.

Think about this, if the LCD iMac is a 15" LCD at 1024x768 resolution then the LCD iMac will have exactly the same screen real estate as the current 13" CRT iMac with the same 1024x768 resolution. The workspace on an iMac will remain the same despite the larger physical dimensions.

Here's hoping Apple uses a higher resolution screen - 1280x1024 or so.

Right?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    everything will be bigger. the screen will be easier on the eyes and much higher quality.

big change.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I think most people run their iMacs at 800x600. 1024 flickers too much and is too small on the current screen, especially for text.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Well, my parents and my wife run at 1024. It doesn't flicker and the 800x600 is way too small for OSX.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>I think most people run their iMacs at 800x600. 1024 flickers too much and is too small on the current screen, especially for text.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Agreed. I alwais go back to 800*600 because of flickering. Never seen an iMac ok on 1024*768
  • Reply 5 of 19
    The new display will still be larger....that's good enough for me. Although I'd rather see a 16" viewable display, since 15" viewable is too small for me.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>I think most people run their iMacs at 800x600. 1024 flickers too much and is too small on the current screen, especially for text.</strong><hr></blockquote>

1024 x 768 flickers? My mother's school has dozens (maybe 100) iMacs all running 1024 x 768. if anything is good about the iMac's screen its its refresh rates
  • Reply 7 of 19
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Different people have different preference on refresh rate....

Some say 75Hz is fine, some say 85Hz is fine, some even say 67Hz!! :eek:

I am in the 85Hz category.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    For a while (a couple of months ago when I started using OS X full-time at home), I ran my iMac at 1024x768...but it did seem to flutter and reading text at some websites was just too tough and I was straining my eyes and leaning way forward too much.

If the new iMac is indeed based on the current 15" Studio Display (15" LCD at 1024x768), I'll be happy as a clam because I think that's a PERFECT size/resolution.

Can't speak for everyone, but I kinda like resolutions where 1" on screen equals - give or take a little - 1" in real life.

800x600 on an iMac does and 1024x768 on the 15" Studio Display does as well.

It helps me in drawing and laying things out. Probably all psychological and all, but I still prefer that.

If the new iMac is what I'm hoping it will be, that's a HUGE plus for me.

There's no ****ing way I want to look at 1280x1024 on a 15" LCD...it would be totally ridiculous and tiny.

Hell, that resolution is almost too small and tight on the 17" Studio Display, IMHO.

I run 1152x870 on my CRT-based 21" Studio Display at work and that's about as small as I ever want to go!
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I have to agree that 1024x768 on an CRT iMac is crap. I've seen it. I hate it.

On the other hand, I love my PowerBook G4's screen. So, if the new iMac was to be like that screen (sans the "megawide" ratio) it'd be pretty damn near perfect.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I used to use my iMac at 1024x768 all the time and I didn't see anything wrong with it.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    All I know is that 1024x768 on my 12" iBook screen is awesome. I expect that it will be even better on a 15 inch screen.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    ac2cac2c Posts: 60member
    Flicker - what flicker? My iMac doesn't flicker at 1024x768.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by ac2c:

<strong>Flicker - what flicker? My iMac doesn't flicker at 1024x768.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's what I'd like to know too.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    When I bought my iMac last year the sales assistant said the recommended resolution was 1024x780. He might have told a lie though as he also reckoned he was the best deal in town and paid list.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    We're hardly talking about future hardware here, but my original Bondi iMac has run at 1024x768 since the day I first turned it on. While the default setting was 800x600, things seemed comically large at that resolution. Now that it's running 10.1, a lower resolution would be even more laughable.

If you think text is small on that screen, you should see what it's like on my new iBook. 1024x768 is the default resolution on that 12" screen. And still, the display is so crisp that it's easily legible.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    1024x768 works just fine on my dad's iMac. I can't use anything less than that.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I always ran 1024x768 on my iMacs - I tried 800x600 for a short time, but I just couldn't STAND it!

I didn't notice any flicker, and I thought the text was fine at that resolution.

1024x768 on the new 15" LCD iMacs is going to be MUCH nicer though...
  • Reply 18 of 19
    pscates: your over 40 right? Over 50?

No offense, but 1024x768 as the highest resolution on a desktop sucks donkey ass.

applenut: why would bigger pixles mean higher quality? The iBook looks great because of it's higher pixel density.

The brain works really hard convincing us that there are moving pictures on a screen, that's why refresh rates can be different for different people.

The best LCD I've ever seen was a Dell. the 15" 1400x1080 is by far the most amazing screen I've seen yet!!!

Can't you scale icons and text in OS X?

It's hard to believe people would rather have big pixels and high dot pitch than high resolution and the option to scale.

I'd like to see a 1400x1080 LCD on the new iMac.. That would be the clincher for me, as long as it has that 1GHz G4 as well.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    The primary cause of these problems are low refresh rate (&lt;75Hz) or interference caused by other electrical device. To solve the refresh rate problem, use the maximum refresh rate indicated on the monitor documentation for the particular resolution you are using.

Most people can see the flicker of a 60hz moniter, some 75, etc. If you have any electrical interference, the more pronounced the flicker. My iMac at home does not flicker one bit at 1024*768, but at school, the lab iMacs flicker pretty badly. Probably because of the flourescents and multitudes of audio equipment.

And to solve the interference problem, move suspected devices as far away from the monitor as possible. Common interference sources are: fluorescent lamp, un-shielded speakers, Un-Interruptible Power Supply (UPS) & transformers like those used by scanners & some printers.