Airport Express with D Link Router

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am currently using a D LInk wired/wireless G router to create a wireless network from my DSL connection. I would like to add an Airport Express for music streaming as well as signal boosting on another floor of my house.

Has anyone had luck using the airport express with routers other than the Airport Extreme basestation?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Check out the Airport Express article over at www.arstechnica.com . The writer of the article got the two working together.

{EDIT} Sorry, my bad, that was a Linksys router, not a D-Link so I don't know if the advice in the article will apply to you.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    I think it is lame if this product only really works right with the Airport Extreme.

If anyone tries it, please post. I would buy one in a sec if I knew it worked.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    works with the older base station as well

sound drops in & out ...im using express as a bridge to the older base

will try bridging it to a second express & see if that fixes the sound issue

couple of issues

1. i cannot rename a profile on the express

if i rename it it wont save

2.in bridge mode the lan port cannot be used which is a serious shortcoming

in my opinion, limits the usability of the device
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

works with the older base station as well

Why buy an older Apple base station for $150 just to be able to use the airport express when I already have a D-Link that I bought for $100 and has worked great since the day I set it up?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

Why buy an older Apple base station for $150 just to be able to use the airport express when I already have a D-Link that I bought for $100 and has worked great since the day I set it up?

You know, Apple isn't forcing you to buy an Express. And while it would be great of Apple to provide support to other manufacturer's products, it's not their responibilty to figure out the inner workings of other base stations either.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Wow, you mean I can get $150 for my Rev A basestation? Where can I find this suck ..er person to buy mine?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

You know, Apple isn't forcing you to buy an Express. And while it would be great of Apple to provide support to other manufacturer's products, it's not their responibilty to figure out the inner workings of other base stations either.

Thankyou Captain Obvious. I honestly thought they were forcing me.

The question is not that the Express HAS to support anything. However, since a large portion of Apple's user base uses devices other than airport or airport EXTREME!!!! base stations to connect to the internet, it might be nice of them to build a little universal functionality in to their products.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Wow, you mean I can get $150 for my Rev A basestation? Where can I find this suck ..er person to buy mine?

Yeahhhhhhh.....

Anyway, last I checked, $150 was the cheapest you could get any airport basestation on Apple's website, and that was on the refurbished page.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I have a similar question too.

I'm looking to use an Airport Express as a bridge to a D-Link Router as well.

Essentially, I want to plug my iMac (2yo lcd model) by ethernet into an Airport Express and have that bridge to a D-Link wireless router.

Anyone have any idea if this would work?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

...it might be nice of them to build a little universal functionality in to their products.

So you want Apple to take it upon themselves to investigate how Linksys, Belkin, D-Link, etc., implement their respective bridging solutions? Is Apple supposed to implement every router or just yours? Is Apple also supposed to offer technical support to every customer to get their Express to bridge?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

So you want Apple to take it upon themselves to investigate how Linksys, Belkin, D-Link, etc., implement their respective bridging solutions? Is Apple supposed to implement every router or just yours? Is Apple also supposed to offer technical support to every customer to get their Express to bridge?

Of course not. Don't be dramatic. We get it. You disagree. Move on.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Aren't the bridging capabilities based on open RFCs? I would imagine, especially on the PC side (since there ARE so many choices) that companies have built some kind of interoperability into their hardware.

The guys at arstechnica got a Linksys router to work with Airport Express, so there may be hope.

If you really want this implemented in the Airport Express, maybe you should email Apple?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Aren't the bridging capabilities based on open RFCs? I would imagine, especially on the PC side (since there ARE so many choices) that companies have built some kind of interoperability into their hardware.

The guys at arstechnica got a Linksys router to work with Airport Express, so there may be hope.

If you really want this implemented in the Airport Express, maybe you should email Apple?

Basic WiFi (802.11a/b/g) is standardized. However, there is no standard for wireless bridging. Every vendor (and I mean chipset/firmware/etc. vendor) does it his own way. Probably the Linksys (I think he was using custom firmware, not the one it came with) implemented the same technique as Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

Basic WiFi (802.11a/b/g) is standardized. However, there is no standard for wireless bridging. Every vendor (and I mean chipset/firmware/etc. vendor) does it his own way. Probably the Linksys (I think he was using custom firmware, not the one it came with) implemented the same technique as Apple.

That makes sense. I didn't think about the difference between bridgeing as a standard and WiFi standards.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

Yes, the ARS used some opensource firmware that did not come from Linksys.