Post All your iMac 3 Mockups here

Comments

• Reply 181 of 484
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Check this out.

I call it the hinge.

I very much like that concept Outsider...

you may be on to something
  • Reply 182 of 484
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Interesting. But the optical drive door at the bottom front of the mock-up does seem to get in the way of the exhaust "tube". Reports are that the computer looks "real simple" so this does fall into that category. I think it's now time for AI to publish that illustration they talked about.
  • Reply 183 of 484
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

nice touch. It is appealing, though, but - for me - clearly too much "form over function". Perhaps i didn't get the hinge

btw, why haven't you referred to the "low cost cube" yet? This is more compelling IMHO

best

Hey I did come up with a micro cube a while back:

the CUBE
  • Reply 184 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Interesting. But the hard drive door at the bottom front of the mock-up does seem to get in the way of the exhaust "tube". Reports are that the computer looks "real simple" so this does fall into that category. I think it's now time for AI to publish that illustration they talked about.

That exhaust tube/hinge is separated into 3 parts: the central part houses the front half of the optical drive, the right section houses the G5 and companion chip heatsinks, and the right section houses the power supply. It may seem as if it blows straight through but it doesn't.

Another feature is that with a few screws loosened, the back plate comes off to expose the drive cage and motherboard to make upgrades much easier than current iMacs.
  • Reply 185 of 484
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    While I love all of the mockups, I don't think that they take into account the vast amount of space that will be required to cool the G5.

So, the question becomes... How to design something that contains a really large heatsink and air channel, but still has Apple's coolness factor?

The Hinge is my favorite mockup so far; though it would look a little different after the G5, put into such a small space, melted that corner of the computer!

The Hinge would also have to be bolted onto the desktop. Otherwise, the massive cooling fan would make it spin like a top!!!

• Reply 186 of 484
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dws

While I love all of the mockups, I don't think that they take into account the vast amount of space that will be required to cool the G5.

So, the question becomes... How to design something that contains a really large heatsink and air channel, but still has Apple's coolness factor?

The Hinge is my favorite mockup so far; though it would look a little different after the G5, put into such a small space, melted that corner of the computer!

The Hinge would also have to be bolted onto the desktop. Otherwise, the massive cooling fan would make it spin like a top!!!

I have a mental image of using the entire back of the monitor as a heat sink/radiator. In that regard it should be finned to help dissipate the heat.
  • Reply 187 of 484
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    the "hinge" then cannot swivel...

thats why the Vaio TV/PC thing sucks terribly. Its a big toy.
  • Reply 188 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Reports are that the computer looks "real simple" so this does fall into that category.

Where are these reports coming from? This iMac HAS to be the biggest secret ever kept by apple. I mean if we know it's a G5 and we know we will see one in a month, there MUST be pictures of this thing nicely lit against a white background!!! Come on Insiders, Steves in the hospital....Let loose with the pictures already!!
  • Reply 189 of 484
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Right Side

Thanks!!

and when youre not using it, you can do a little weightlifting!... nice idea, but WAY too thick.
  • Reply 190 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

the "hinge" then cannot swivel...

thats why the Vaio TV/PC thing sucks terribly. Its a big toy.

The current Apple display can't swivel either. Nor did the original iMac. Yet the iMac was a success. But you've inspired me. I think tonight I will come up with an appealing swivel design.
  • Reply 191 of 484
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jason1969

Where are these reports coming from? This iMac HAS to be the biggest secret ever kept by apple. I mean if we know it's a G5 and we know we will see one in a month, there MUST be pictures of this thing nicely lit against a white background!!! Come on Insiders, Steves in the hospital....Let loose with the pictures already!!

ahhhhhh
  • Reply 192 of 484
    Quote:

...I think tonight I will come up with an appealing swivel design.

...exciting...
  • Reply 193 of 484

I was just thinkin' it's not about the enclosure, it's about the media experience. Good swivel speakers, left and right, and a tilting display at center. Simple pillar supports beneath and behind.

How to cool it? Dunno. Take it up north.
  • Reply 194 of 484
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Check the post about the missing 17" monitor and the future of the iMac for a STUNNING cube design. I love it. Somehow the colors just makes me want one.
  • Reply 195 of 484
    I have a strong suspicion that the iMac3 will have the following attributes to it's design:

-The chrome arm will be retained...or a modified version of it)

-The iMac's over all design will mimic the new displays and powerMac as far as shape and dimensions.

-The color will be White or a grey hue similar to the current iBooks, but NOT the Al-color of the PowerBooks/PowerMacs/Displays

-The ports will be moved to the 'side' of the machine

-The power button to the front(could even be on the display)

-For some reason i suspect it will be a mini-Pizza box base... image the current Apple display base that's thicked that can hold the entire computer. But it will definately be 'curvey'

-Slot loading drives all around

-Wired keyboard and mouse with the option to get bluetooth versions of the device.

I hope , that the high end version will come with a 20" wide screen display and bundled with the new iSticks (which are imo the best speakers ive ever heard or seen)

Cheers
  • Reply 196 of 484
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    I like this one:

http://www.mackompass.de/index.php?o...tpage&Itemid=1

and I'm sure:

all wireless: wireless keyboard/mouse, wireless LAN (Airport express included), maybe a "use TV screen for monitoring" Option (no, Steve, don't worry, it is not television with a Mac, it is just for watching iPhoto and controlling iTunes)

btw: get well soon!
  • Reply 197 of 484
    arw3arw3 Posts: 8member
    I think it will...

1. Not have a machine aesthetic.

2. Articulating arm will stay.

3. Can either be left together as an AIO or the screen detached.

An LCD attached to an articulating arm attached to about 10lbs of lead stacked on top of a pizza box about 1" thick. All designed nicely of course.
  • Reply 198 of 484
    Quote:

The current Apple display can't swivel either. Nor did the original iMac. Yet the iMac was a success. But you've inspired me. I think tonight I will come up with an appealing swivel design.

still night in your country?
  • Reply 199 of 484
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

still night in your country?

Had a family emergency so i was in the ER for most of the night. it did give me some time to think though! Lets see what happens tonight.
  • Reply 200 of 484
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jason1969

CNet had an article a few days ago that was widely reprinted on the web. The author of the piece said that the new iMac G5 was fairly "simple looking".

The iMac G5 is not the "biggest secret ever kept by Apple" in any way. The BIGGEST secret was the original Biondi Blue iMac. When introduced at MacWorld it turned out that most employees at Apple werre unaware of the product at all. It was as much a surprise to them as the rest of us.