Library 3.0

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 169
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Great Job to Mike Matas, Greg Titus and Wil Shipley. Can't forget the original author Andrew K as well. This is how Mac software is supposed to look. Inviting and easy but yet powerful at the same time. I'll definitely be buying this program. Love the iSight scanning feature, that's worth the price of admission alone IMO.
  • Reply 2 of 169
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Great Job to Mike Matas, Greg Titus and Wil Shipley. Can't forget the original author Andrew K as well. This is how Mac software is supposed to look. Inviting and easy but yet powerful at the same time. I'll definitely be buying this program. Love the iSight scanning feature, that's worth the price of admission alone IMO.

I could not have said it better. It is applications like these that make using a Macintosh stand out. You just cannot get this kind of beauty on Windows, and even if someone tried it would be crippled and most likely dog slow.
  • Reply 3 of 169
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 134member
    this is a must have

really looks good and at home we all love our movies and books!
  • Reply 4 of 169
    Does the bar code scanning work with a regular digital camera?
  • Reply 5 of 169
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Agent Macintosh

Does the bar code scanning work with a regular digital camera?

Yes.
  • Reply 6 of 169
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Wow! This software looks cool! I'll definitely be picking this up.

[edit] Does anyone know what the price of admission will be for this software?
  • Reply 7 of 169
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Now that really seems like an interesting application. The interface seems attractive and easy to use as well and looks at home with other iLife apps. I'll probably pick up a copy when it's available.

I really like the idea of using the iSight to read the codes. Very slick indeed. I may break down and get one at some point.
  • Reply 8 of 169
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

Now that really seems like an interesting application. The interface seems attractive and easy to use as well and looks at home with other iLife apps. I'll probably pick up a copy when it's available.

I really like the idea of using the iSight to read the codes. Very slick indeed. I may break down and get one at some point.

I'm with you. This is probably the first killer app (beyond iChat AV, but you have to have someone on the other end) that makes me want to get an iSight.

Although if it works with digicams I may just use my Rebel.
  • Reply 9 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I'm with you. This is probably the first killer app (beyond iChat AV, but you have to have someone on the other end) that makes me want to get an iSight.

My thoughts exactly. Very cool app. One more fix for the anal-retentive among us!
  • Reply 10 of 169
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    it will most likely have an option to buy a cheap USB bar-code reader with the software... If I had to guess I would think something like $20-$30 for it. Maybe cheaper. The software itself will probably cost the same, unless they want to make a killing (and they have every right to) and price it near $50-$70...
  • Reply 11 of 169
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Holy crap that looks slick.

I'm getting it. And I'm getting it for my mom, too, since she's up to her eyeballs in books.

Unfortunately, a lot of those books predate bar codes, sometimes by a century or so...
  • Reply 12 of 169
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Looks very nice. I'm trying to decide if it's overkill for inventory, or what I could really use it for. I understand that it's targeting real libraries as much as anyone else, and that it does sync with one's iPod so you have book info on the go for what that's worth.

Hm, I'm really trying to find an excuse to get it.
  • Reply 13 of 169
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    what happens if Amazon changes their database system? or if a book isn't in their system?

seems odd to depend on a store's inventory and website for data retrieval. or am i missing something?
  • Reply 14 of 169
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

what happens if Amazon changes their database system? or if a book isn't in their system?

seems odd to depend on a store's inventory and website for data retrieval. or am i missing something?

Amazon offers web services for precisely this sort of application.
  • Reply 15 of 169
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

well that explains it
  • Reply 16 of 169
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I hope they offer skins for the boards to match your furniture - I really am not into this whole cheesy looking wood thing. It would be cool if it would be able reflect the trends in contemporary (and maybe even historic) furnishing.
  • Reply 17 of 169
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

I hope they offer skins for the boards to match your furniture - I really am not into this whole cheesy looking wood thing. It would be cool if it would be able reflect the trends in contemporary (and maybe even historic) furnishing.

exactly!

GarageBand's wood trim cr*p gotta go too
  • Reply 18 of 169
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

What if Amazon goes down?
  • Reply 19 of 169
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

i guess you didn't notice that there is at least one alternate "metal shelf" theme in there.

but hey, i like the wood in THIS context.
  • Reply 20 of 169
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

well, no, you're right. but when you're a small developer, you have to take what you can get. and a LOT of apps have made hooks into the amazon system for stuff such as this. but you take your money and you bet the pony that you think will at least place. amazon seems like a safe bet, at least for the next few years, after which everyone will have wetware cranial insertion points for their ipods and we won't need to catalog any of this earth-bound stuff anymore (hey, imagine spotlight enhanced vision!)