My dream, an EPIC Mac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I would like to see an OS X driven, EPIC (Embedded Platform for Industrial Computing) Mac. This would give engineers and scientists a brilliant platform for real-world applications outside the lab or office, interfacing with and driving and controlling data acquisition systems and engineering and control systems. The EPIC form factor includes for example, 4.5 X 6.5 inch boards that sport high res A/D, onboard GPS, hard-drive and flash interfaces, CardBus expansion etc.

You could talk to and configure your Apple industrial control system or your Apple scientific data acquisition system from your Apple desktop, locally or remotely. What more could you want?!

I guess I look at that beautiful system, the iPod and think, if only?

By the way Steve, hope you make a brilliant recovery - that would be true to form!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IQatEdo

I would like to see an OS X driven, EPIC (Embedded Platform for Industrial Computing) Mac.

Why would you need Mac OS X to control DAS devices and such? To me, a 12" iBook or PowerBook would suffice if you need to run the complete OS X.

Maybe a scaled down version, but you can already get devices to do this.

Explain to me the reasoning behind a full-blown Mac OS X device such as this.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I want a Mac that runs on rainbows and sunshine! And puppies!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Why would you need Mac OS X to control DAS devices and such? To me, a 12" iBook or PowerBook would suffice if you need to run the complete OS X.

Maybe a scaled down version, but you can already get devices to do this.

Explain to me the reasoning behind a full-blown Mac OS X device such as this.

Rhumgod, thanks for your interest.

I am interested in high-level, embedded, peer-to-peer computing, establishing virtual secure networks and calling on more or less computing resources as needed at a particular time. You see, I don't want an iBook or Powerbook, I want high-level computing with low-level functionality, without the middleware, the dataloggers and PLC's, adding layers of complexity.

Actually, I built one 5 years ago that had all the low-level capability but ran a full Redhat LINUX implementation. I don't want to work with linux, I want the OS X tools that I am familiar with, even just scripting. Sure, I was probably thinking of a system running a pared down OS X but the the idea is in not having to create a whole new OS stream. I don't want a Windows CE. Hardware can do this now.

I have also built really low-level systems that sit somewhere, day in, day out, sensing and controlling which at some stage I plug my trusty Powerbook into for interrogation. I would like this to be a peer-to-peer activity however, with the high-level capabilty of my Powerbook always on tap.

My thoughts on that anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I want a Mac that runs on rainbows and sunshine! And puppies!

They don't already?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

Originally posted by opuscroakus

They don't already?

Is this what you meant, as the song goes?

SUNSHINE FUEL CELLS (LOLLIPOPS) AND RAINBOWS

Sunshine, fuel cells (lollipops) and rainbows

Everything that's wonderful is what I feel when we're together

Brighter than a lucky penny

When you're near the rain goes, disappears, and I feel fine

Just to know that you are mine

My life is sunshine, fuel cells (lollipops) and rainbows

That's how this refrain goes

So come on and join in, everybody

Sunshine, fuel cells (lollipops) and rainbows

Everything that's wonderful is sure to come your way

When you're in love (with OS X) to stay