Mac to Windows Machine Video Conferencing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I am interested in knowing the different Video Conferencing software that I could check out. I have a Mac, but allot of my family members are on XP or 2000.

What FreeWare/CommercialWare & ShareWare should I check out, which of these have any of you tried?

Thanks for your suggestions

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EthoX

Hi,

I am interested in knowing the different Video Conferencing software that I could check out. I have a Mac, but allot of my family members are on XP or 2000.

What FreeWare/CommercialWare & ShareWare should I check out, which of these have any of you tried?

Thanks for your suggestions

Try iChat. Works with AOL Instant Messenger 5.5 for text and video chat on the Windows side. Voice chat however still seems to impossible between the two platforms with iChat/AIM.

I guess there are numerous other solutions out there, but iChat seems to be the most convinient.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    There's Yahoo, but I'm not that familiar with it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    ichat is the best Ive used on the Mac side, but only works with AOL 5.5 ( adware ) on Windows XP ( no video support for 2k ). It is free however.

Ive also used squidcam, which works fine on mac and windows, and provides all the voice/video combinations, and chat. But there is no online awareness ( you dont know if the other end is logged on ).

Finally, macromedia has a flash server component which does video conferencing, you only need to find a web site with it installed.

There are other options, but they are painful to use. I wish there was a good windows companion for ichat.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    You can try www.ivisit.info and you can try maratech. Maratech is more than a video conferencing solution, but try it out anyway.

None of the solutions are bandwith friendly. Only iVisit is ok on bandwith consumption, but you need to shell out money to iVisit for decent quality video.

There are some reflectors available. But I don't think any of them help with quality videoconferencing.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Yahoo should work fine. Give it a try. It's free.

I've used it and it's decent. A little slow, but it was probably because the PC side didn't have a broadband connection.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    yahoo is definately the perfect im/chat/video/mic client combination in my opinion. unlike aim, connections always go through and everything seems to always be going smooth and clean. if both people have broadband while video'ing it goes into "super mode". theres even clients of yahoo out there with extra's including banner ad deletion.. look around
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by D3ct

yahoo is definately the perfect im/chat/video/mic client combination in my opinion. unlike aim, connections always go through and everything seems to always be going smooth and clean. if both people have broadband while video'ing it goes into "super mode". theres even clients of yahoo out there with extra's including banner ad deletion.. look around

Does Yahoo support audio? It doesn't support audio on my iMac. It only supports video.