Dual 1.2 gig upgrades by end 1/03

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Dual 1.2 GHz G4 CPUs for the G4 Cube Coming Soon: From PowerLogix's President, Robert Jagitsch, "We have revised our [CPU upgrade] design so a new DC card is not needed, and the solution will allow faster speeds. We will have up to Dual 1.2 GHz for Cube shipping by the end of January." PowerLogix had previously announced that it was revising the Cube's DC board to safely allow the G4 Cube to use dual 800 MHz and dual 1 GHz CPU upgrades. The news about a new dual 1.2 GHz CPU is outstanding. See our reviews of PowerLogix's single 800 MHz and single 1 GHz CPU upgrades installed in two of our Cubes.

(this is from <a href="http://www.macsonly.com/)" target="_blank">http://www.macsonly.com/)</a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I read this on CubeOwner.com earlier. It is verry encouraging. The problem with the Dual 800's is that some of the were burning out the DC-DC board due to large power draws. PowerLogix was going to build a more powerfull board to handle the higher power load. The way I read this is that they are going to be getting 1.2 Ghz CPU's which have a lower power draw than the current 800's. The most likely reason for this is a move to a smaller process, logically this should add to the overall speed possible out of the G4, modest gain of 20% on a die shrink would make 1.5 Ghz processors a high end. This also hints that Motorolla has their manufacturing plants makeing enough of these chips to satisfy Apples manufacturing needs, and supply the upgrade manufacturers. He@@ we might even see 1.2 Ghz iMacs out next month...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Another thought, could this signal the end of the G4 in the PowerMac line? Think about it, if the PowerMac lost the G4, then Apple would be buying a lot less G4 processors. At the same time, the ones they buy Apple would want a lower power requirement, and heat disipation so that they could put them in iMacs and PowerBooks....yes this is rampent speculation....but a nice thought all the same.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    If it means that .13u G4's are coming sooner than later, it could also mean that January laptop updates are not as absurd as they were first made to sound.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    NO! we are NOT seeing 1.2 ghz iMacs next month!

I'm buying my dual ghz powermac REALLY soon, and for that reason alone apple is NOT going to release a product that is much better performance at a lower pricepoint that what I'm spending.

I've never purchased an apple product and had it trumped a month later and I don't plan on starting now!

• Reply 5 of 13
    I think a dual 1Ghz, or even a dual867 would be faster than a single 1.2 in most serious work situations.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>I think a dual 1Ghz, or even a dual867 would be faster than a single 1.2 in most serious work situations.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Especially given that the PowerMacs have faster busses and faster RAM (useful mostly for DMA, but hey...), better graphics cards (for QE, if nothing else), bigger and faster HDDs, PCI, etc.

However, I expect the MDD PowerMacs to get eclipsed not long from now... by newer PowerMacs.

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>

Especially given that the PowerMacs have faster busses and faster RAM (useful mostly for DMA, but hey...), better graphics cards (for QE, if nothing else), bigger and faster HDDs, PCI, etc.

However, I expect the MDD PowerMacs to get eclipsed not long from now... by newer PowerMacs.

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

but I can't wait any longer....the thing is...I'm getting really worried, if the 970 is a hit, then it will make my would be purchase look like a sham, and not only that but the resale value will drop considerably if I wanted to get a newer one, and even though dual ghz is probably going to be more than I need...the 970 will be all new, way improved and probably at the same price points(maybe 100 dollars more or less) and thats what gets me. I should just buy it....I'm getting a good deal on it, so I shouldn't complain.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    How good of a deal? Unless you're getting 25% off or better, leave it be. Or, I should say, do so if you have a decent enough machine already. You've waited this long, G4's will not last another 9 months in a powermac. Wait, you're not obligated to help Apple clear out inventory or retro tech.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Question: With 970s coming out, how viable will G4s be far down the road? Will a fast G4, four years after the introduction of the 970, be kind of like a 68040 four years after the PPC?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>How good of a deal? Unless you're getting 25% off or better, leave it be. Or, I should say, do so if you have a decent enough machine already. You've waited this long, G4's will not last another 9 months in a powermac. Wait, you're not obligated to help Apple clear out inventory or retro tech.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm getting it refurb so thats 200 bucks off, then since I'm going through Smalldog.com I don't have to pay the 300 dollars worth of sales tax associated with going through Apple store...so while its not really a "deal" persay, its saving money.

My current machine is a DVSE iMac that I've had since the day they came out(in sept 2000) it works for internet. and thats about it, even word processing doesn't work to well anymore(I don't know why, but MS word keeps messing up) all I do currently is browse the internet, and listen to mp3s.

what I WANT to do is be able to play Warcraft 3 at good graphic settings with no lag, play UT and whatever other games I will be getting in the future(UT2k3, Moo3..etc) with little or no lag. Use Bryce again(I used to use Bryce A LOT, but then as I got better with it and started making more complex things, I couldn't deal with the slow speed) use Reason 2.0(which I'll be getting soon) and also some other midi stuff and I will probably end up making use of the Superdrive...the idea of burning the music video collection I have to dvd is intriging...so I'm definatly going to do much more than just internet and mp3s....probably not enough to justify a ppc 970, but definatly enough to be angry if they release a brand new powermac 3-6 months from now that is roughly 10 times faster and better in all respects and would cost me the same or a little more than the dp tower
  • Reply 11 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>Question: With 970s coming out, how viable will G4s be far down the road? Will a fast G4, four years after the introduction of the 970, be kind of like a 68040 four years after the PPC?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The G4's will probably be in consumer products for 2 years, as long as Motorolla can keep some momentum in their development.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    [quote]Originally posted by dygysy:

<strong>Dual 1.2 GHz G4 CPUs for the G4 Cube Coming Soon: From PowerLogix's President, Robert Jagitsch, "We have revised our [CPU upgrade] design so a new DC card is not needed, and the solution will allow faster speeds. We will have up to Dual 1.2 GHz for Cube shipping by the end of January." PowerLogix had previously announced that it was revising the Cube's DC board to safely allow the G4 Cube to use dual 800 MHz and dual 1 GHz CPU upgrades. The news about a new dual 1.2 GHz CPU is outstanding. See our reviews of PowerLogix's single 800 MHz and single 1 GHz CPU upgrades installed in two of our Cubes.

(this is from <a href="http://www.macsonly.com/)" target="_blank">http://www.macsonly.com/)</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

I've been asleep at the wheel, worrying about how I can keep my Cube on the desk as the world goes marching ahead. 1.5G of memory is nice, but it is now the processor I've wanted. Thanks for the news.

• Reply 13 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Cubit:

<strong>

I've been asleep at the wheel, worrying about how I can keep my Cube on the desk as the world goes marching ahead. 1.5G of memory is nice, but it is now the processor I've wanted. Thanks for the news.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cubit, the new computers will always be better than one 2 years out of date, even if you upgrade the processor. The PowerLogix upgrade will be a good thing for us Cube owners though. As long as you arnt doing a lot of graphics work a dual 1.2 Ghz upgrade should give us a very respectable computer, expecially with that 1.5 GB of memory that you have on board. Add to is a good graphics card, say a Radeon 7500 or Gforce 3, and you have an excellent system that takes a lot less space than a Tower and should work well for most uses for the next 2-3 years.