when are p.books & p.macs due for update?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
just wondering when everyone thinks the powerbooks and powermacs are due for update =]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Never! Mwahahahahahaaa!!!!

Or MWSF, whichever.

Actually, I'd say Powerbooks at MWSF and iBooks at a random unspecified time 2-3 months following.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I'd have to say the PowerMacs will be updated sometime in mid to late March when the "usually" are updated. Perhaps MWSF but I feel that is too soon.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    After iMac, I expect the eMac to be updated. iBooks, PowerBooks and PowerMacs until early next year.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    do you all think the powermacs or the powerbooks will have a good enough update u think i should wait for?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Depends how badly you need your new Mac or how long you are willing to wait.
  • Reply 6 of 27
  • Reply 7 of 27
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by david_oc

This should pretty much cover it

http://www.crazyapplerumors.com/arch...74.html#000274

I had completely forgotten about them lately.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

I'd have to say the PowerMacs will be updated sometime in mid to late March when the "usually" are updated. Perhaps MWSF but I feel that is too soon.

No that would actually be about a perfect update cycle. I truely hope it's a big feature full update this time. I'm ready for some of this new technology everybody is hyping. Especially SLI 2xPCIe.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Lets get PCI-Express before we start thinking about 2xPCI-Express eh?

I can picture 2xPCI-Express in XServe more than Powermacs. But thats me. It definitely would be cool.

Whats wrong with them being updated in mid-late March? I think its 100% feasible. That is the date they shot for this time, and the powermacs were released even later last year. I think they'll pull it off if IBM gets their shit together.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Whats wrong with them being updated in mid-late March?

What was wrong with this year's mid-late March? Certainly, in part, the 130 --> 90 nm transition. But as the CPU frequency goes up, we may see other problems too. I have a feeling that the current technology is close to hit a wall, with respect to clock frequency at least. We will see. But I would not be surprised to see Apple update (in what concerns the CPU) in the near future the Power Macs once, and not twice, a year.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

What was wrong with this year's mid-late March? Certainly, in part, the 130 --> 90 nm transition. But as the CPU frequency goes up, we may see other problems too. I have a feeling that the current technology is close to hit a wall, with respect to clock frequency at least. We will see. But I would not be surprised to see Apple update (in what concerns the CPU) in the near future the Power Macs once, and not twice, a year.

A new Pro desktop once a year? That is a poor update cycle. It should be every 6 months. 1 Big update, and one touch up at the least.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

A new Pro desktop once a year? That is a poor update cycle. It should be every 6 months. 1 Big update, and one touch up at the least.

March wouldn't be once a year... it would be every 9 months. Which is what it has always been.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by D3ct

do you all think the powermacs or the powerbooks will have a good enough update u think i should wait for?

I don't think they're getting a major update. Depends on what you have in mind. I'd say no G5 PowerBooks in a year. If I had to decide on buying right now vs. waiting to see if they update them, I'd buy right now but that's just me. I just don't see the PM or PBs receiving big updates soon. I'm just speculating anyways.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by D3ct

just wondering when everyone thinks the powerbooks and powermacs are due for update =]

Another source to consider.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    do you pay attention to the news or even have a clue what is going on?? Power Macs were JUST updated. If you are considering waiting for another revision, what is going to take for you to buy that and not wait for another revision? This Pmac revision isn't a short one. People lack common sense...
  • Reply 16 of 27
    maddanmaddan Posts: 75member
  • Reply 17 of 27
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    If you use the MacRumors Buying Guide figures, if new PowerBooks are to be released at Mac Expo Paris, that would only be a month earlier than average. It's even less for new iBooks.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

do you pay attention to the news or even have a clue what is going on?? Power Macs were JUST updated. If you are considering waiting for another revision, what is going to take for you to buy that and not wait for another revision? This Pmac revision isn't a short one. People lack common sense...

That's not what I'm waiting for. I'm waiting for more information on the Nvidia video card. SIGGRAPH started today. Apple is at SIGGRAPH with lots of stuff, and I hope to know more soon. This week is what I have been waiting for.

How do I know that Apple didn't release the 3Gz PowerMacs at WWDC because they saved the 3GHz processors for a new workstation class Mac they have been working on that they wanted to debut at SIGGRAPH where the whole industry could see? I would have shot myself for buying the Dual Opteron if that happened.

Also - there is still no information as to how well that new Nvidia card works with Maya, or if Apple maybe was saving news that they have Nvidia Quadro firmware, and drivers for those who could use them. If they dont.. Well??? Like I said. SIGGRAPH is what I was waiting for. Alias got me to wait past WWDC, but SIGGRAPH should have all the information I need to finalize my decision for this year.

Also realize according to that Mac Rumor Update cycle page the PowerMac does get updated every 6 months.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That's not what I'm waiting for. I'm waiting for more information on the Nvidia video card. SIGGRAPH started today. Apple is at SIGGRAPH with lots of stuff, and I hope to know more soon. This week is what I have been waiting for.

theres a huge difference between a graphics card update and a whole pmac update.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

theres a huge difference between a graphics card update and a whole pmac update.

I never said I was waiting for a PowerMac update either though. I just said I thought they should be updated twice a year. Every 6 months. Although you never said you were talking to me specifically either.