OFFICIAL NFL thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 278
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Fucking Q. Screw that midget. He is awesome.

Broncos got Bailey in a steal. Aging? Are you kidding me? He's got at least 6 years left. How many does Portis have left? 3 tops?

Jacob Gutierrez could rush for 700 yards for the Broncos, that's just how they work.
  • Reply 22 of 278
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maffrew

Does anybody know if the NFL provide any sort of internet streaming service of games? Even with satellite or cable television here, coverage of american sports is unbelievably bad.

No NFL Sunday Ticket over there? I guess you guys have Sky Digital in the UK, but I don't recall if you can get DirecTV programming.

I love it and it's great to never miss a single game - plus i can TiVo my teams' whole season.
  • Reply 23 of 278
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

No NFL Sunday Ticket over there? I guess you guys have Sky Digital in the UK, but I don't recall if you can get DirecTV programming.

I love it and it's great to never miss a single game - plus i can TiVo my teams' whole season.

Nope, no DirecTV here.

Sky does show some games, but it's limited to one game on a sunday evening, which is a bit naff really. As far as i know, no other service provider in the UK has better coverage either. There are a couple of highlight shows, but i like to watch the full games.
  • Reply 24 of 278
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I think my house-mates are going to spring for NFL sunday ticket. I think it's actually HD in our area, which is cool because I have an HD set.

I really hope the Skins start doing well. Since I moved out of DC, being a skins fan has become much more fun. Broncos at 9PM. . .
  • Reply 25 of 278
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    Charger fans take note:

08.09.04 - On Monday, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith made the following statement to the media regarding contract negotiations with Philip Rivers:

?We have an update on the Philip Rivers negotiations. Negotiations have broken down. Prior to the training camp report date we made an effort to get Philip signed. Also, during the past week, we exchanged ideas and could not come to an agreement. On Friday, we offered a great deal to Philip. We also notified both Philip and his agent, Jimmy Sexton, that the offer will stand until 5 p.m. Sunday evening and if not accepted, the offer will be pulled off the table. Our offer was rejected. We also informed them that the package we talked about and offered will now only go down in value.

The offer we made to Philip is not a slot offer at No. 4, but in fact, an offer that exceeds No. 2 Robert Gallery and No. 3 Larry Fitzgerald. We believe it?s a great offer. Jimmy Sexton has been informed several times that the Manning-Condon deal with the New York Giants was of no concern to us before, no concern now or will it be in the future. This is very unfortunate and disappointing, but it is what it is.

It?s now time to concentrate on the players we have here and get ready for our preseason games and gear our efforts to get ready for the opener against Houston. From this time forward I will not talk about the Philip Rivers contract situation anymore. I hope I?ve made our position very clear. If he decides to sign a contract with the San Diego Chargers, then I?ll be more than happy to talk about Philip Rivers.

Dean Spanos supports this decision 100 percent.?
  • Reply 26 of 278
    Houston Texans fan here (still bitter that they are the worst team in NFL2k5)

Here's my picks:

AFC East: New England, natch.

AFC North: Baltimore, by default.

Cincinnati will be as good as next year, at best. Browns have a horrible o-line that Garcia and Winslow won't be able to shake. Steelers defense is good, but receiving corps looks weak (besides Randel El) and they lost great blocking tight end Bruener.

AFC South: Jacksonville

If the Jags can find a kicker, they will be number one in the so called "toughest division in football." Titans are on their way down, and the window is closing for the Colts. I don't expect to see a losing team in this division.

AFC West: Kansas City

They are head and shoulders best in a bad division. All the other teams will probably have a losing record, unless Denver's Quentin Griffin really shows.

NFC East: Eagles

Cowboys made a mistake cutting Quincy Carter. They take a huge step backwards. Eagles clear cut leaders. Gibbs will right the ship in Washington, but not this season.

NFC North: Vikings

The Vikings, like my Oilers of old, always seem to have great potential but poor execution. This year they'll finally put something together. I think the Lions will improve a lot this year.

NFC South: Falcons

The Panthers aren't going anywhere, but they will get some company this year from Vick and the Falcons.

NFC West: Seattle

Rams just aren't able to get over the hump. I think Arizona will make some strides, though.

AFC Wildcard: Colts

NFC Wildcard: Panthers

AFC Champion: Patriots

NFC Champion: Vikings

Super Bowl winner: Patriots

Check back in 6 months, if you want a laugh.
  • Reply 27 of 278
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

Steelers defense is good, but receiving core looks weak (besides Randel El) and they lose great blocking tight end Bruener.

I will chalk that up to being uninformed: Hines Ward is Multi-probowl and is an awesome awesome all around player . . . I would be a fan of any team he played on, even if it were the 49ers!!

Plexico Burress is an awesome 6.5 reciever, probowler as well . . .

CHris Doering has some promis as well

and some good new players in Tight End positions: Remiersma, who was injured last year, promises to be very good now that he is back

and this Kranchick Rookie, at 6.7", has a lot of promis as well.

And their first preseason game, though they lost but really really closely at the end, revealed that they have a deep roster of QBs . . . even their third string Saint Pierre looks good and the Rookie Roethslisberger seems very awesome for a rookie . . .

It should be a fun year . . .
  • Reply 28 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I will chalk that up to being uninformed: Hines Ward is Multi-probowl and is an awesome awesome all around player . . . I would be a fan of any team he played on, even if it were the 49ers!!

Plexico Burress is an awesome 6.5 reciever, probowler as well . . .

CHris Doering has some promis as well

and some good new players in Tight End positions: Remiersma, who was injured last year, promises to be very good now that he is back

and this Kranchick Rookie, at 6.7", has a lot of promis as well.

And their first preseason game, though they lost but really really closely at the end, revealed that they have a deep roster of QBs . . . even their third string Saint Pierre looks good and the Rookie Roethslisberger seems very awesome for a rookie . . .

It should be a fun year . . .

Ah yes! I forgot about Hines Ward (how could I, he is one of the NFL's best). As for Plexico, he's a crybaby and an underachiever.

I saw part of the Lions game, and was a lot more impressed with the Lions. Roethlesberger (or however you spell it) does look like he has potential though. I stand by my earlier predictions though...
  • Reply 29 of 278
    My NFL predictions for this season:

Division Winners

AFC East: Patriots win it. Bills, Jets and Dolphins whoever ends up second, will be at least 2 games away.

AFC North: Ravens. There's talk about Deion Sanders making a comeback with Ray Ray's team.

AFC South: Colts. I think the Titans will have a pretty bad season (I think McNair is a little overrated. Just a tiny bit) and the Jags and Texans will sneak up on some people.

AFC West: It's a close call, Chiefs or Broncos. The Broncos have done a lot to upgrade the defense, and Chiefs brought back Gunther Cunningham. I'll go with the Broncos. It will be tough for Plummer. His WRs and RBs have to step it up to cover up for McAffrey and Portis departures.

NFC East: Eagles. They'll even get to the NFC Championship game again and they'll lose it once more.

NFC North: The Vikings will take the division and save Mike Tice's job.

NFC South: This division is a tough one. Vick gets injured and you can bury the Falcons. Are the Panthers a one year wonder? Can Jon Gruden have two dissapointing seasons in a row? The Saints are dead last here. I'm going with the Bucs. They overhauled the offense.

NFC West: Seahawks. They will be this year's Panthers.

Post-season

The Broncos will beat the Patriots in the AFC Championship game.

The Seahawks will beat the Eagles in the NFC Championship game. Eagles fans will burn the Stadium. McNabb will be traded to the Raiders. (Just kidding)

Mike Shanahan will meet Mike Holmgren in the SuperBowl once again. SB XXXII rematch.

Jake Plummer will need a Jake Delhomme type of year. Comeback kid. Matt Hasselbeck will have to look like his mentor, Brett Favre.

10 Bold predictions

1. Texans will have a winning record.

2. The Titans won't make the playoffs.

3. Phillip Rivers will be a bust.

4. LaDainian Tomlinson will win the rushing title.

5. Ken Dorsey is the QB of the future for the 49ers

6. Julius Jones will rush for more yards than Eddie George for the 'Boys

7. Gibbs' Redskins will sneak up on some teams like the Tuna's 'Boys did last year.

8. Apple will have another add in the Super Bowl.

9. Ricky Williams will come back after the season.

10. The Chargers, not the 49ers, will end up with the first overall pick again. Schottenheimer fired.
  • Reply 30 of 278
    Steelers-Texans Saturday night, pfflam! I'll get to see for myself how good (or not good) the Steelers are.

Too bad Bubby Brister isn't starting anymore...
  • Reply 31 of 278
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    The Eagles are playing tonight on CBS right? I forget who they're playing against though.
  • Reply 32 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

The Eagles are playing tonight on CBS right? I forget who they're playing against though.

Against the Ravens. Sharpie vs. Ray Ray.
  • Reply 33 of 278
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Been watching the Eagles / Ravens game, and have one thing to say....

Touchdown! McNabb to Owens!

Better get used to it....!
  • Reply 34 of 278
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

Steelers-Texans Saturday night, pfflam! I'll get to see for myself how good (or not good) the Steelers are.

Too bad Bubby Brister isn't starting anymore...

Houston: 7 yards total rushing at the half!! . . .

But, the best thing of all is that The 'Texans' are being beaten soundly at Heinz Field!!

Its almost worth posting in PoliticalOutsider
  • Reply 35 of 278
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

...But, the best thing of all is that The 'Texans' are being beaten soundly at Heinz Field!!

Its almost worth posting in PoliticalOutsider

J
  • Reply 36 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

Been watching the Eagles / Ravens game, and have one thing to say....

Touchdown! McNabb to Owens!

Better get used to it....!

I dislike T.O. since he celebrated his touchdown on Texas Stadium's Star logo... twice.
  • Reply 37 of 278
    Texans dominated by the Steelers. Ouch! They looked almost as bad as the Cowboys did last week.

Roethlesberger looks impressive, and so does the Steelers o-line. Or maybe the Texans defensive front just looks horrible.

This week: Texans vs. Broncos at Mile High, more preseason action on the way. Texans down to 4th-string running back, that's not good.
  • Reply 38 of 278
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    a little bucs talk while i am stuck at home on the physical mend...

mccardell is threatening to sit out the entire season unless the bucs redo his contract as a number 1 receiver. now here's the thing(s):

1. has a receiver sitting out the season EVER meant he got what he wants? it seems like every time i hear about a receiver doing something like this, all it does is make everyone angry and he eventually gets unloaded the next year.

2. the bucs have scrounged up every other receiver they could find in the interim. galloway... clayton... brown. it's a bit of a strange trio, but they've got a ton of experience, and an even spread in age. this is brad johnson's last year to throw to these guys, i guess, then chris simms likely gets the nod. he's gotten rave reviews when he's been out on the field, and gruden has shown you have to be smart to handle his offense... sometimes too smart. but that simms pedigree means chris has a lot of qb know-how going in that others don't have.

3. i can kinda see it from keenan's point of view, too. last year, through ALL of the disappointments, he was the only consistent star. if you saw the game he made some absolute SICK catches against the panthers in the waning moments. i mean, it wasn't his fault the bucs red tide defense turned into the screen door defense.

anyway, amazingly enough, the bucs o-line looks WORSE off this year going in than they did last year. they got manhandled by jacksonville this past week. and when the o-line doesn't click, everything else falls apart. at least they let loose keyatta "texas hold-em" walker. (edit: scratch that... in gruden's infinite wisdom, he decided to retain the worst holding violation-prone o-lineman... i know gruden wants to build raider east, but does he have to do EVERYthing the same, even retain the idiots? then again, he ditched warren and keyshawn, so maybe i shouldn't complain too much

my pick for this division is still the panthers, based off the scary, scrappy defense they showed last year, and delhomme proved to me he cannot be rattled.
  • Reply 39 of 278
    What upsets me about the McCardell situation is:

1. He already makes good money.

2. He has TWO years left on his contract.

The man has one good year and wants to be paid like a superstar, when he's not. He's just a solid reciever. A very solid one, but you just don't do that with 2 years remaining. And they thought Keyshawn was bad.
  • Reply 40 of 278
    I'm glad the Jets signed Quincy Carter. I like the guy. I'm a Cowboys fan and I feel a little sorry that he was released.

I'm friends with the Jets. I'm glad he didn't sign with the Vikes. Purple and yellow just looks bad on football unis.