Vaporware - BMW iPod Adapter

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Although it was supposed to ship on July 12, the iPod adapter for my BMW 330 is nowhere in sight. I have been told it is on "national backorder." My dealer had one or two that it tried to install, but apparently it was for a Z4 not a 330. No one can tell me when it will ship, although they now claim they are releasing some in waves. My dealer, one of the largest in the US still has NONE! So I doubt that they really are getting out in anything other than ones or twos. Anyone have any luck getting one for a 330?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    And somehow, knowing what you do about apple, this is a surprise to you?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I blame BMW for this one. I think they are responsible for the manufacturing of this part, not Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And somehow, knowing what you do about BMW, this is a surprise to you?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lol! Yes actually, since I just got my bimmer and ordered the iPod with it. Love the car; love my iPod. Now if they could only work together.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    I guess you'll just have to upgrade to the Z4 now...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Is that like an upgrade to Windoz XP?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    -Kickaha

what are you saying about BMW? They have been doing a better job than apple at getting products out on time, over the last few years.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Explain that to my mother, and her lemon 740i.

Also, see: humor, subclass irony.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I was at a BMW dealer today (really shopping at the used lot next door ) where I saw a 2005 (I think) M5, it had the ipod kit, and it had what looked like a sideways cassette deck in the stereo, upon a closer inspection, I notice what appears to be an iPod adapter inside this thing. Was I wrong in thinking that the iPod worked from a cable in the glove box?

sorry, what i waslooking at was an m3 convertable, not an M5
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I don't know what you saw. As far as I know the iPod kit is supposed to hook up through a cable in the glove box
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Vaporware Update:

My dealer called me yesterday to tell me they got one in!

Of course, it was the first one and I am number 2 on the list. He thinks every dealer got only 1. Can you believe that?

Anyone actually have a iPod kit installed in their 330?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    iharryiharry Posts: 42member
    I've been on the waiting list for more than a month at my local BMW dealer. I was there yesterday and asked about the kit. They told me there was a wiring problem in the first iteration and they are waiting for the working version to ship. Apple has not given them a date and they claim to have a very large waiting list. It dose not surprise me. The shipping date for my new 2.5 with 30" display shipping date keeps changing as well.