iMovie questions

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
For my work, I've recently started studing iMovie. It has the potential to help my office become more efficent by producing movies that will tell our newer employees how to perform specific tasks instead of having our seasoned employees take time out of their day to show someone else.

I was wondering if, aside from Final Cut Pro, there was anything else that could be recommended for us. We are looking for something as easy or easier than iMovie, with a low turnaround time. Of course, quality matters too.

Also, does Apple offer any kind of add-on package for iMovie? Something like an upgrade? There has been some belief around the office that perhaps iMovie is kind of a demo, and you have to buy an extended version. I haven't seen anything offered so I don't think it's true, but if there is, we would love to know.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    iMovie is what it is--no upgrades. However, make sure it is the latest version (with iLife 04). iMovie has more than enough features for what you;re trying to do, so just experiment and be creative. Final Cut is pretty over-the-top for what you want to do.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by dieforyourcause

I was wondering if, aside from Final Cut Pro, there was anything else that could be recommended for us. We are looking for something as easy or easier than iMovie, with a low turnaround time. Of course, quality matters too.

Have you taken a look at Keynote for training presentations? KeyNote Examples
  • Reply 3 of 5
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Have you taken a look at Keynote for training presentations? KeyNote Examples

i came up with the very same question, funny.

Seriously, anyway, it is amazing HOW simple (simplicity rules here!!!)

iMove actually is. I produced a showreel with some shortmovies

a friend and myself shot recently. The guys we demoed the reel

dropped their jaws litteraly, all were asking: "wow, this looks very professional. what app did you use, guess avid or since you're on mac, definitely fc." I said: "Look, this is my pb AND this is iMovie. It comes free of charge with any mac. Amazing isn't it!"

iMovie does a lot of different things, mostly better than their competitors ...

er ... what competitors?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Don't forget final cut express for $299:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/

I would start with iMovie (or Keynote) before droping money on something more with a greater learning curve. iMovie is really quite fantastic. There is no upgrade, but additional efffects can be purchased from other vendors.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Don't forget final cut express for $299:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/

I would start with iMovie (or Keynote) before droping money on something more with a greater learning curve. iMovie is really quite fantastic. There is no upgrade, but additional efffects can be purchased from other vendors.

What other kind of effects are offered? I'm very curious.