TS: The 970MP is coming

Comments

• Reply 161 of 192
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

As has been stated a thousand times in numerous threads. Repeating it isn't going to change the issues directly related to each reason we are still in need of dual socket motherboards after the chips become dual core.

Yes, you seem to have mis-read my statement. I meant that going beyond 2 FSB ports is too expensive. Since Apple already has 2 ports, however, they will probably continue in that vein. Two chips with dual 980 SMT cores by the end of 2006... that's at least 8 hardware threads. Or more.
  • Reply 162 of 192
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I'm in favor of Apple keeping two CPUs in their pro machines because if you're running any mission critical services and one CPU dies, the whole machine doesn't necessarily die. A little redundancy is good.
  • Reply 163 of 192
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I'm in favor of Apple keeping two CPUs in their pro machines because if you're running any mission critical services and one CPU dies, the whole machine doesn't necessarily die. A little redundancy is good.

Or if one thread (which for some reason can't be quit) goes haywire and starts sucking up cycles, the computer still stays responsive. I've got first hand knowledge of this one \
  • Reply 164 of 192
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

I don't think Powermacs are built with that kind of redundancy in mind... I suspect that if you lost one CPU in a modern Powermac, the whole machine would become inoperable. I believe the sort of redundancy you're talking about is still reserved for big iron hardware; although clustering (in many respects) gets close to it.

...However, I do reserver the right to be wrong about this.
  • Reply 165 of 192
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gamblor

I don't think Powermacs are built with that kind of redundancy in mind... I suspect that if you lost one CPU in a modern Powermac, the whole machine would become inoperable. I believe the sort of redundancy you're talking about is still reserved for big iron hardware; although clustering (in many respects) gets close to it.

...However, I do reserver the right to be wrong about this.

Actually you may be wrong. CHUD tools allow you to "turn off" one of the CPU in a dual proc system. However that is using an apple tool. I wonder if one CPU fritzed out would the system know and deactivate the dead CPU socket.
  • Reply 166 of 192
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I know for a fact that if one CPU dies while the system is on, the whole system comes down.
  • Reply 167 of 192
    xsmixsmi Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I know for a fact that if one CPU dies while the system is on, the whole system comes down.

How do you know this?
  • Reply 168 of 192
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Good question. My guess would be

$1500 Quad Tyan Mobo

would be matched by 2 Macs running Xgrid.

Thats an assumption though because no one has used, or independently tested it in a comparison. vs. the 4 way AMD board.

It also isn't the same as what I was saying about quad processors, with quad cores. Even though the price looks high, If it were $1,500 for a quad socket quad core capable motherboard the price vs performance ratio wouldn't seem as astronomical comparatively.
  • Reply 169 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Thats an assumption though because no one has used, or independently tested it in a comparison. vs. the 4 way AMD board.

It also isn't the same as what I was saying about quad processors, with quad cores. Even though the price looks high, If it were $1,500 for a quad socket quad core capable motherboard the price vs performance ratio wouldn't seem as astronomical comparatively.

Yeah I figured that as well but there's not much you can do to keep costs in line when you're starting out at $1500 for the Mobo. Let's just toss some stuff together and see what we have.

$1500- Mobo

$2400- 4 DC Opteron chips

$2000- Top of the line Quadro

$300- HD

$700- RAM

$100- DVD-R

= $7000 Homebuilt for 8 physical CPU potential 8 logical.

I'd say some situations would benefit you while others wouldn't.
  • Reply 170 of 192
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Perhaps the post about a haywire thread is more accurate, but I thought the xServe did have this redundancy built in.

And even in a board designed to react this way, a seriously blown part still could take the machine down under the right circumstances.
  • Reply 171 of 192
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xsmi

How do you know this?

It's happened to two of our DP G5 machines.

edit: the machines restarted after but there were alerts that one of the CPU's was disabled.
  • Reply 172 of 192
    xsmixsmi Posts: 140member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

It's happened to two of our DP G5 machines.

edit: the machines restarted after but there were alerts that one of the CPU's was disabled.

That is too cool. I know it cost lots of money but that is just wicked!
  • Reply 173 of 192
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Yeah I figured that as well but there's not much you can do to keep costs in line when you're starting out at $1500 for the Mobo. Let's just toss some stuff together and see what we have.

$1500- Mobo

$300- HD

$700- RAM

$100- DVD-R

I'd say some situations would benefit you while others wouldn't.

That is truly awesome when you think about it - I spent over $7000 just to get my IIci back in 1990 (One processor + FPU at 25MHz on a 25MHz bus). Everyone has to admit the prices have come down a bit over the years.

I would not mind seeing an Apple offering with 4 dual core CPUs, but I think that the 2 dual core CPUs are the most we can hope for in the near future.
  • Reply 174 of 192
    Quote:

$1500- Mobo

$300- HD

$700- RAM

$100- DVD-R

If your using (you said 4 DC, but they are 4 QC) Actually that would be 16 physical/potential 16 logical processors.

That's what I meant about Price vs Performance. It's actually a pretty good deal for $7,000.00
  • Reply 175 of 192
    maddanmaddan Posts: 75member
    Tiger wants its MP cores! While the 970MP seems to be designed specifically for IBM's blade servers, there is little doubt that MP cores are in Apple Computer's future. Putting MP cores in Powerbooks, iMacs & eMacs would be a great way to make everyone forget that nine something. It would probably also save Apple some money with dual (MPs) only needed in the best tower configuration and Xserve.8)
  • Reply 176 of 192
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    Is someone saying you can get a quad-core opteron for $600? I have no idea if this is accurate, but it seems a little cheap..
  • Reply 177 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfryer

Is someone saying you can get a quad-core opteron for $600? I have no idea if this is accurate, but it seems a little cheap..

nope, no one said that.
  • Reply 178 of 192
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    MOSR posts some details on the 970MP and the problems of IBM. Can anyone in the know tell us if all this makes sense or if it is the traditional MOSR fantasy? Here is the second part of the article.
  • Reply 179 of 192
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Well I'm not too sure that all MacOSRumors prints is fantasy, but everything in that article appears to be in the realm of possibility.

As to indications that IBM has had multiple problems at 90nm that would seem to be likely as the problem is taking forever to resolve. Some of the information is consistant with other rumors that have floated around with respect to IBM so there may be trueth here.

More interesting here is that IBM's road map appears to be as stable as a dam about to over fill after a hurricane. One has to wonder just why the 970 MP has moved to the forefront apparently. If IBM is having issues moving the Power 5 to 90nm then that should be of concern to all.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by PB

MOSR posts some details on the 970MP and the problems of IBM. Can anyone in the know tell us if all this makes sense or if it is the traditional MOSR fantasy? Here is the second part of the article.

• Reply 180 of 192
    The MOSR report sounds bunk. I really doubt IBM would have called any of their PPC processors the "9700" that just defies current naming conventions.

The rest is nothing that we haven't already discussed already. I doubt it's the 90nm transition that slowed down the POWER5 derivative but rather strategy. The "980" will likely be 65nm and that process shrink won't be ready to go until sometime in 2006.