Mac Radeon 8500

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So this is being announced at Macworld. The fact that ATI has already said that it will be tells me that it will not be a part of the Apple/Jobs keynote cause if it was Jobs would want to be the first to say so. So here is the questions I pose to all of you:

Will ATI release a Radeon 8500 with an ADC connector? There is nothing stopping them from doing it. Other companies have started releasing cards with an ADC other than Apple OEM cards. The 8500 will be 4xAGP meaning that the majority of people that have machines that can run it most likely have ADC powered monitors. The question for ATI I don't think is whether they can or not but does it make sense financially?

I think if ATI wants to compete at all with nVidia for Apple's business than they have no choice but to offer an ADC version. I for one have an ADC Cinema Display. If ATI were to release a DVI only card I cannot get it, ATI needs the business of the people who own ADC monitors. What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>So this is being announced at Macworld. The fact that ATI has already said that it will be tells me that it will not be a part of the Apple/Jobs keynote cause if it was Jobs would want to be the first to say so. So here is the questions I pose to all of you:

Will ATI release a Radeon 8500 with an ADC connector? There is nothing stopping them from doing it. Other companies have started releasing cards with an ADC other than Apple OEM cards. The 8500 will be 4xAGP meaning that the majority of people that have machines that can run it most likely have ADC powered monitors. The question for ATI I don't think is whether they can or not but does it make sense financially?

I think if ATI wants to compete at all with nVidia for Apple's business than they have no choice but to offer an ADC version. I for one have an ADC Cinema Display. If ATI were to release a DVI only card I cannot get it, ATI needs the business of the people who own ADC monitors. What do you think?</strong><hr></blockquote>

i think technically it's very simple for them , perhaps the drivers are nearly the same than the current radeon driver.

to your advice what is the difference of power between a 8500 and a normal radeon ?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    The Radeon 8500 is a very powerful graphics card that has been getting good reviews on the various PC sites. It is the Geforce 3 competitor, but will generally not get you quite as many frames per second in current games (but there is some expectation that directx8 games on the PC will make more use of the 8500s feature set). It is fast, has excellent 2D, and should make Quake3 on your PowerMac G4 go blindingly fast.

Still, it will be expensive!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Wouldn't ATI's Radeon 8800 make a better fit for the PowerMac market?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    the all in wonder radeon 8500dv got a thumbs down and "don't buy" from techtv

just f.y.i

I think its a pretty damn buff card, definatly helps atis rep as being numero quatro o menos

Its interesting how the geforce3 debuted on mac then was upgraded and diversified on pc

and how the ati has always been with mac

yet their advanced card is not(yet) on mac

I hate how macs are always so seperate from pcs.

I WANT AUDIGY PLATINUM FOR MAC!!!!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    adam11adam11 Posts: 163member
    Didnt I read on the aTI site that the PC verrsion is AGP 2X and 4X /

It would make good sense for this to be both so ATI could scoop up the G4 AGP 2X upgraders who currently have the Rage Pro and did not go for the earlier Radeon. (I would be such a customer).

As for an all in wonder ( or similar) ..... yes please !

cheers

adam
  • Reply 6 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Wrong Robot:

<strong>the all in wonder radeon 8500dv got a thumbs down and "don't buy" from techtv

just f.y.i

I think its a pretty damn buff card, definatly helps atis rep as being numero quatro o menos

Its interesting how the geforce3 debuted on mac then was upgraded and diversified on pc

and how the ati has always been with mac

yet their advanced card is not(yet) on mac

I hate how macs are always so seperate from pcs.

I WANT AUDIGY PLATINUM FOR MAC!!!!!!! </strong><hr></blockquote>

TechTV has something going on between them and nVidia. Seriously, its very strange.

1.) they never like ATI products and reccomend nVidia over them

but

2.) The day ATI announced the Radeon 7500 and 8500 TechTV had nVidia day. all day of nVidia reviews, tips, previews, history, ass kissing, etc. Coincidence? I think not