dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    Quote:

onlooker:

nope, no one said that.

Quote:

$2400- 4 DC Opteron chips

Quote:

onlooker:

If your using (you said 4 DC, but they are 4 QC) Actually that would be 16 physical/potential 16 logical processors.

That's what I meant about Price vs Performance. It's actually a pretty good deal for $7,000.00

What is the $2400 for 4 opteron chips then? Am I totally missing what you guys were talking about? It sounded like a $7000 workstation with 4 quad-cored Opteron chips, and that seems a little cheap.
  • Reply 182 of 192
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It was a hypothetical scenario there mission critical, but it sounds like a good deal to me. I think the highest ( Opteron 248 ) is $690 now. How much do you think they will charge for a 4-way processor.
  • Reply 183 of 192
    A question for those of you with some understanding of Multi Processing computing.

Theoretically speaking; Once the 970 Dual core chips have been released- and developers compile their applications to take advantage of these Dual Core systems, will the speed increase within the applications be seen on Dual processor systems of today?
  • Reply 184 of 192
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Stylesheet: Yes.
  • Reply 185 of 192
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 186 of 192
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

No. No. NO. A million times NO!

There is no magic compilation that will do this.

Threading is required and that is at the most basic design and coding level of an app. Either an app is already ready to take advantage of a 970MP or it would require a complete rewrite to do so. So anything that already takes advantage of a dual processor box will make use of a multi-core processor as well.

I don't think Stylesheet was using the correct terminology AirSluf, but I do believe what he meant is if an App is written to take advantage of Dual cores after the Dual core processors are released will it be able to see any advantages on older Dual Processor systems that have single cores?

To that I think the answer would be yes.
  • Reply 187 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

No. No. NO. A million times NO!

There is no magic compilation that will do this.

Threading is required and that is at the most basic design and coding level of an app. Either an app is already ready to take advantage of a 970MP or it would require a complete rewrite to do so. So anything that already takes advantage of a dual processor box will make use of a multi-core processor as well.

I'm well aware of that no magic will thread an app for you (yet). The point is that the question was if the apps taking advantage of dual cores (i.e. threaded apps) will take advantage of dual processors of today.

The reason for the incredible simple answer is that exactly how taking advantage of dual cores/processors is probably irrelevant to mr. Stylesheet. At least, I thought/think so.

BTW, has there been any news on the automagic multithreading compilation tech in IBM's XLC?
  • Reply 188 of 192
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    I thought that was autovectorisation, not automagical multithreading...
  • Reply 189 of 192
    Yeah, it's also auto-vectorization. But I have somehow gotten it into my head that there's also some work on auto-multithreading. Too tired too google it up right now.
  • Reply 190 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I don't think Stylesheet was using the correct terminology AirSluf, but I do believe what he meant is if an App is written to take advantage of Dual cores after the Dual core processors are released will it be able to see any advantages on older Dual Processor systems that have single cores?

Thats correct. Sorry for my incorrect terminology.

Logically speaking one could assume that apps written to take advantage of Dual core chips will also take advantage of Dual processor systems with single cores- as far as multi-processing is concerned.

If for instance Alias was to release MayaX in the future, which has been coded to take advantage of multi cores- then in turn a current G5 with dual processors (single core) will also be able to take advantage of the multi core aware application?
  • Reply 191 of 192
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 192 of 192
    wicked.

Thanks for the clarification AirSluf.