Free Email Accounts?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Howdy all. I just got a cable modem but i know I will be moving to Cali next year and I dont want to have to change email addresses when I do. I currently also have AOL for $15/month which really isnt worth it since I'm just keeping it to keep my screen name and I can live without the content even though I do like it.

So, are there any free email accounts I can get somewhere that you can recommend, or is there always a cost associated with it. I cant imagine how the companies would make money if they dont charge something.

Another option is keeping my email address with AOL for $4.95/month.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Bribe someone for Gmail

Seriously
  • Reply 2 of 20
    jiminy c.jiminy c. Posts: 101member
    Either that or you could get a Walla account. It gives you 1GB of storage for free. Also it's very easy to use. Almost like GMail but inferior. walla.com
  • Reply 3 of 20
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I've used yahoo mail for years now and it's not so bad at all. I don't get too much spam and they recently beefed up the service. The max message size is now 10MB and my inbox size is 100MB for free.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I've heard that yahoo's email service is pretty good. Never heard of the other 2.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

I've used yahoo mail for years now and it's not so bad at all. I don't get too much spam and they recently beefed up the service. The max message size is now 10MB and my inbox size is 100MB for free.

I wonder what yahoo gets out of the deal if its for free? Is there a catch that you can see? Do you use it as your main email account?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

I wonder what yahoo gets out of the deal if its for free? Is there a catch that you can see? Do you use it as your main email account?

I get occasional Yahoo sponsored spam but nothing beyond that. I am actually quite happy with it overall. They have a few other features that my wife uses too like briefcase.

I do use it as my main account about 50% now and use my .mac account for other 50%.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

I get occasional Yahoo sponsored spam but nothing beyond that. I am actually quite happy with it overall. They have a few other features that my wife uses too like briefcase.

I do use it as my main account about 50% now and use my .mac account for other 50%.

I started getting SPAM in my AOL account as soon as I joined some yahoo groups. That is one thing that concerns me, but i guess noone is immune to SPAM.

I could just open a yahoo email account and try it for awhile and test it out. Maybe Ill just do that.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

I started getting SPAM in my AOL account as soon as I joined some yahoo groups. That is one thing that concerns me, but i guess noone is immune to SPAM.

I could just open a yahoo email account and try it for awhile and test it out. Maybe Ill just do that.

I have gotten Yahoo group spam every now and then and they take care of it very quickly once it is reported. I would honestly say I get no more than 2 or 3 spam emails a day at my yahoo account. I always report them and it seems well tended to.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    www.spymac.com gives a 1GB account, webspace, etc for free...

despite unfortunately having a domain that ends with "[email protected]" its a very good service...
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

[url]

despite unfortunately having a domain that ends with "[email protected]" its a very good service...

Yeah, nice service, but the name is absolute garbage.

www.frogshit.com
  • Reply 11 of 20
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    spymac is terrible, not workin on whatever i tried.

so, gmail, i can invite you (send a pm).

altern.org/mail .. gives 20 mb i think. reliable.

yahoo is getting better.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    what about hotmail?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

what about hotmail?

Sucks hardcore.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Yeah, nice service, but the name is absolute garbage.

www.frogshit.com

That's AWESOME
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Anyone have GMail? I've been asking around but no one seems to have any. Can anyone give me an invite? PM me if you have one.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Sucks hardcore.

you mean hotmale.com?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

you mean hotmale.com?

• Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

you mean hotmale.com?

Nice one!

On a somewhat related note to this thread Macworld just recently did a roundup of a bunch of free email clients. Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail and a bunch of others were included. Sadly Hotmale was not included in this test but we can always hope for next year .
  • Reply 19 of 20
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jiminy C.

Anyone have GMail? I've been asking around but no one seems to have any. Can anyone give me an invite? My e-mail is [email protected].

I hope you get that invite, because putting your current address in the clear on a website isn't such a good idea.

BTW, I've also been wanted to check out Gmail. Feel free to PM if you have an invite to offer and you're feeling nice. ;-)
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

Bribe someone for Gmail

Seriously

You know anybody I can bribe?