Apple's "Production" Suite

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Sorry, not a productivity suite, rather they finally bundled FCP HD, DVD Studio Pro and now Motion (oh, yeah, it's shipping) into one package for $1300.

http://www.apple.com/productionsuite/

Of course, FCP comes with FCP proper, Compressor, LiveType and Soundtrack too. Alas, no inclusion of Shake or Logic, which isn't surprising really, especially with Motion and Soundtrack in the mix.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dalidali Posts: 32member
    The question is....

If you have a GeForce4 MX video card and dual 1GB G4 w/2GB of ram.... how well will it work? Maybe I don't need "all" the real time playback, but is it even worth buying - anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dali

The question is....

If you have a GeForce4 MX video card and dual 1GB G4 w/2GB of ram.... how well will it work? Maybe I don't need "all" the real time playback, but is it even worth buying - anyone?

It doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the graphics card (for Motion).

If you really need the software then you should be able to justify upgrading the graphics card as well.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Isn't the minimum requirement a G5 anyway though? It might not even launch without one.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Isn't the minimum requirement a G5 anyway though? It might not even launch without one.

No, it is 867MHz G4. Dual 2GHz G5 reccomended though.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

No, it is 867MHz G4. Dual 2GHz G5 reccomended though.

I recommend the Dual 2.5GHz.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I recommend the Dual 2.5GHz.

Tough to argue against that
  • Reply 7 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    ok i'm pissed. i dropped 500 bucks for an edu final cut pro a few weeks ago, and now i can get the whole suite for 500 bucks edu. and now, i cant even buy dvd sp3 academic separate from the p suite. on the phone with apple right now...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

ok i'm pissed. i dropped 500 bucks for an edu final cut pro a few weeks ago, and now i can get the whole suite for 500 bucks edu. and now, i cant even buy dvd sp3 academic separate from the p suite. on the phone with apple right now...

Man you shouldn't be pissed you should be ashamed at your folishness. Everyone knows Siggraph is "the" graphics event of the summer. No worries though I think Apple will accomodate you. I'm betting that, like Adobe Suites, everything will be serialized under the same number. That makes it easier for Apple to track the bundle.

Woohooo they just saved me $400 considering DVDSP 3 is $250 academic and Motion would have been at least $150. I think it's smart from Apple. Looks like if you want Motion academically you "have" to buy the whole suite.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    firstly, each piece of software has its own set of minimum requirements (in the main page click on the production suite ad at the bottom and it'll take u straight to the techspecs of all 3)

Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

as for that, apple also has an "upgrade" box for people who have purchased final cut, it allows u to get the entire suite for 500 bux or so
  • Reply 10 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D3ct

as for that, apple also has an "upgrade" box for people who have purchased final cut, it allows u to get the entire suite for 500 bux or so

Didn't see that. Cool. Now I just need to hunt on Ebay for some old copies of each app.

EDIT: with an educational discount, you can buy the whole, non-upgrade, Production Suite for $500!

Clicky

I know what I'm saving my money for...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Man you shouldn't be pissed you should be ashamed at your folishness. Everyone knows Siggraph is "the" graphics event of the summer. No worries though I think Apple will accomodate you.

ya, foolish me for NOT expecting apple to cut the price in half for all of its apps. dumbass. anyways, apple gave me a nice discount on my dual 2.5 Ghz G5 due to the circumstances