ipods future

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
i was visiting a friend...he showed me a gadget hes had for nearly 3 years....check it out.....

what is apple waiting for?.....i wish this was available with a design by jonathan ives...

http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500664.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The subject of a video iPod hsa been discussed an infintum on many other posts. Steve Jobs/Apple has said there will be no video iPod. The iPod is a music device. Repeat that.... the iPod is a music device. Who wants to watch a film on a tiny 2 inch screen when you already have a portable viewing device. It's called a laptop. You don't walk down the street looking at a movie... well, at least most people don't. These video toys and that's what they are toys...expensive ones at that, are simply not selling.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    blackyblacky Posts: 24member
    cool....thanks for the info....i guess i'll go ahead and spend my money on the other companies product....thanks
  • Reply 3 of 32
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blacky

cool....thanks for the info....i guess i'll go ahead and spend my money on the other companies product....thanks

Yes, and hurry because they are flying off the shelf
  • Reply 4 of 32
    you guys are wierd....im a total gadget freek....i mean that sincerely....im an early adopter....i owned a mac in 1984...yes....late by most standards...but that was still pretty early in the computer game....i usually buy all sorts of gadgets....yes....i owned the first betamax and the first minidisc too....i owned the first mp3 player..b4 an ipod was even thought of....my point is that i have a need for something like the product i mentioned...i own a 12 inch PB....i own a blackberry....i am familiar with whats out there....both my friend and i were dissappointed with the ipod next to this device....your answer is that im an idiot.....wow....

i will still buy the product from this other company...no question...i love that other product....it only lacks the design....

go to tokyo....people do read books and look at pics and watch tv and video on tiny gadgets....this product is in europe...

another thing....i lived in europe for six years....i realize something...the USA is not the first country to get everything....in fact, when it comes to phones and electronics, i was stunned by the realization that it is about 2 years behind in technology....the people in japan and europe get things first...i live in canada....i thought we here in N america were the weathy and priviledged...it just aint so....
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:

you guys are wierd....im a total gadget freek....i mean that sincerely....im an early adopter....i owned a mac in 1984...yes....late by most standards...but that was still pretty early in the computer game....i usually buy all sorts of gadgets....yes....i owned the first betamax and the first minidisc too....i owned the first mp3 player..b4 an ipod was even thought of....my point is that i have a need for something like the product i mentioned...i own a 12 inch PB....i own a blackberry....i am familiar with whats out there....both my friend and i were dissappointed with the ipod next to this device....your answer is that im an idiot.....wow....

i will still buy the product from this other company...no question...i love that other product....it only lacks the design....

go to tokyo....people do read books and look at pics and watch tv and video on tiny gadgets....this product is in europe...

another thing....i lived in europe for six years....i realize something...the USA is not the first country to get everything....in fact, when it comes to phones and electronics, i was stunned by the realization that it is about 2 years behind in technology....the people in japan and europe get things first...i live in canada....i thought we here in N america were the weathy and priviledged...it just aint so....

Then you are the target audience for the device. Go ahead and get it. Apple isn't going to be realeasing one very soon. I'm familiar with what's out there as well and this type of device does not have *anywhere near* the popularity of the iPod in its current form anywhere in the entire world.

On a related note, this topic really has been beaten to death in several threads already here.

ps - noone here called you an idiot.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    great...thanks for that answer...yes...there will be people like me who will spend money on the other products....no problem....but i am fiercely loyal about mac....

this is a forum about future products....everyday...new members will post things that people who attend this place will already have discussed and recognize....there will be other members that will also join in....there is no such thing as a post discussed to death....since it is all speculation....

no one knows what Stevo thinks...and nothing is written in stone....the only thing i am certain about, is that all this stuff leads to the 'holodeck'....how we get there is anybodies guess....

i was on this board heavily between '97 and 2001...im really familiar with how this works....it just got tired and boring....you can tell by my lack of posts when i rejoined....

i enjoy kormacs posts....and heck...even fran is a moderator now...wow...im sure he remembers all his posts about tablets and such....
  • Reply 7 of 32
    oops ....before i get flamed.....i meant...it got tired and boring for me....not that the forum is tired and boring....
  • Reply 8 of 32
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    (cough)Digital Hub(cough)
  • Reply 9 of 32
    So, apologies if this has been discussed - what happened to the rumoured iPod with colour screen and video output jack of some description...

This seemed to me, to give the iPod a toe in a market, without having the silliness of a portable video player...

I'm with Jobs on that, I can't even watch movies on the tatty little 8" screen they have on aeroplanes, let alone a 2" on on an iPod...

As to Tokyo - there's lots of things they do their that we don't and vice versa - its quite a different culture and a pretty poor place to judge the market for a global selling gadget...
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by grobelaar

So, apologies if this has been discussed - what happened to the rumoured iPod with colour screen and video output jack of some description...

This seemed to me, to give the iPod a toe in a market, without having the silliness of a portable video player...

I'm with Jobs on that, I can't even watch movies on the tatty little 8" screen they have on aeroplanes, let alone a 2" on on an iPod...

As to Tokyo - there's lots of things they do their that we don't and vice versa - its quite a different culture and a pretty poor place to judge the market for a global selling gadget...

It was mostly wishful thinking based on the fact that it *is* possible and the technology does exist.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    I think of myself as an early adopter. I won't be getting one of those Archos things. I can barely stand to watch a letterboxed movie on my iBook. I can imagine how much fun it would be to watch one on that screen.

I got an iPod mini (I had the 1st gen one) because it meant that I could carry most of music around with me in a very small package. I got a Moto V8160 phone because it was the smallest one. The problem with these devices is that to be useful as video playback, they have to be too big for me to consider as a portable device I'd carry every day. Even if I travelled a lot, what is the compelling reason for me to spend half the cost of a laptop just so I can make sure that I can have reruns of "Buffy" and the complete first season of "Iron Chef" with me, ready to view at any time?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    I don't even want to know what 'Iron Chef' is -

I'm guessing, its Scrapyard Challenge, meets Ready Steady Cook - hosted by Jesse 'the body' Ventura...
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Kind of. It's a very strange show from Japan where they inivte chefs from aroung to world to compete in "Kitchen Stadium" against the "Iron Chefs" to make a full four course meal out of a surprise ingredient (usually something like eels nipples or something) while this voice chimes in calling the time left. It feels like "Austin Powers Cooks", but they're serious.

Iron Chef
  • Reply 14 of 32
    well...i guess we are all different...we all have our likes and dislikes....personally, i hate carrying anything around with me....i dont even own a wallet....just loose cash and change in the pocket....for 15 years ive been travelling around the world as a photographer....heck...i even try to rent equipment when im going to another city....

i have been on airplanes, trains, cars, buses, and subways more times than id like to remember....ive lived in various cities...globally....

i used to own the Ti PB 15" when in originally came out....sheesh....it was way to big to carry around....especially in my napsack.....i loved the big screen....i mentioned i now have the 12" PB.....i have found that i had no problem getting used to the smaller screen....in fact...ive discovered that while on a small crowded bus in a 3rd world country, even a 2 inch screen would be welcome.....perhaps the technology doesnt adapt as well as we do....but the fact is....we adapt.....

i would love a gadget that was as small as the ipod...(im open to it being slightly larger)....that could do things like video, music, data storage, email, internet phone...all in one tiny package...

it would suit my needs perfectly....

digital hub....yes.......but that is only the first step....its like when man discovered the wheel.....its already ancient....

im a dreamer.....so you might want to keep that in mind...i like to think big...i like to think outside the box....

i am a global traveller who realizes the importance of compactness....

i dont want to own more than one item....and why cant i have a tiny device that allows me to access everything....they did it in star trek....

sci fi writers map out the future for us.....not scientists....

not ceo's nor investors...

those people come and go

im rambling now
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

well...i guess we are all different...we all have our likes and dislikes....personally, i hate carrying anything around with me....i dont even own a wallet....just loose cash and change in the pocket....for 15 years ive been travelling around the world as a photographer....heck...i even try to rent equipment when im going to another city....

i have been on airplanes, trains, cars, buses, and subways more times than id like to remember....ive lived in various cities...globally....

i used to own the Ti PB 15" when in originally came out....sheesh....it was way to big to carry around....especially in my napsack.....i loved the big screen....i mentioned i now have the 12" PB.....i have found that i had no problem getting used to the smaller screen....in fact...ive discovered that while on a small crowded bus in a 3rd world country, even a 2 inch screen would be welcome.....perhaps the technology doesnt adapt as well as we do....but the fact is....we adapt.....

i would love a gadget that was as small as the ipod...(im open to it being slightly larger)....that could do things like video, music, data storage, email, internet phone...all in one tiny package...

it would suit my needs perfectly....

digital hub....yes.......but that is only the first step....its like when man discovered the wheel.....its already ancient....

im a dreamer.....so you might want to keep that in mind...i like to think big...i like to think outside the box....

i am a global traveller who realizes the importance of compactness....

i dont want to own more than one item....and why cant i have a tiny device that allows me to access everything....they did it in star trek....

sci fi writers map out the future for us.....not scientists....

not ceo's nor investors...

those people come and go

im rambling now

There are certainly some here who share your sentiments. I tend to hate swiss-army-solutions. I handle my phone much differently than I handle my iPod. The phone is cheap and disposable to me. The iPod is a much more cherished item and I tend to take better care of it. As for video, I want it done well or not at all with no middle ground. A small screen is good enough for some basic info/thumbnails and that is about it (for me).

In the end it seems to just boil down to what *most* people want. There is a much larger audience of people who want portable music done extremely well than there are people who want portable video. That is not to say your device will never be released but just that APple is more concerned now with grabbing as much of the portable music market as they can (iPod + iTMS).
  • Reply 16 of 32
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The trick to this is understanding the nature of the iPod. It plays audio partly because that's a hook, and partly because you can "background" audio: I can listen to my iPod while, say, composing this post. Video demands your full attention, and unlike with audio, a video screen has to have a certain size to comfortably convey visual "stereo" (one possible exception would be video goggles, but those have been right around the corner for how long now? and besides, earbuds don't interfere with my ability to tell where I'm going).

On the other hand, hard drive capacities are rapidly becoming too immense for music alone to justify them. The iPod will need additional capabilities that are broadly popular in order to continue selling at the high end. Think "Home on iPod".

As Steve said at the iPod's introduction, a pod is a container. So imagine "your life, to go." Your pictures, your movies, your photos, your music, your documents, all on board, all sync'd up just as effortlessly as your music is now. You don't have to be able to play them all on the iPod. You just need names and folders, really, which fit right into the iPod's current UI, and some means of getting the documents to a device that can meaningfully display the content (like a TV). The dock connector, which is completely open-ended in terms of what information it can send and receive because Apple controls it, is the perfect interface for this. Plug your iPod through the dock connector to a TV, and show your movies the way they were meant to be seen.

We might see some ability to display photos, still frames or maybe even short videos (that fit easily in the iPod's RAM buffer) if OLED screens stop sucking in the near future. Who knows when that'll happen? Right now they're only used for very simple things, or on essentially disposable items, because they don't last long before the color starts degenerating. But once that's sorted out, they're cheap, they don't have to be printed on glass, they don't require backlights, and they use very little power. It won't be long, I don't think, before they're an attractive alternative to the current passive-matrix LCD in the iPod even without considering the fact that they're color. But they're not there yet.

The key with Apple design is that they don't try to do things only because they can, or cram in features just because they'll fit or they sound cool. If they ship a relatively featureful device, it's because the features made sense together and it was easy to package them into a simple device (iPod, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express). And if they show off a little, it's because they found a really snazzy way to do an essentially functional thing.

All that said, discussion of iPods past, present and future belongs in Digital Hub.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    amorph...thanks for the detailed reply...yes...you make sense....i agree....

thanks again
  • Reply 18 of 32
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Blacky,

I'm not trying to be an ass, but you really gotta lay off the ellipses. Give your ring finger a rest, man
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

As Steve said at the iPod's introduction, a pod is a container. So imagine "your life, to go." ... You don't have to be able to play them all on the iPod. You just need names and folders, really, which fit right into the iPod's current UI, and some means of getting the documents to a device that can meaningfully display the content (like a TV).

Exactly. If it could do that for instance, instead of buying DVD's from Amazon, I could get them from iTunes with the idea that I can burn it to a dvd-r, watch it on my ibook using iDVD, or rip a couple movies to take with me to a friends house to watch on their TV.

Of course, the studios would most likely have a giant collective stroke at the thought.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    elron. hilarious. your not an ass...but you really pay attention to the little dots? i never considered it would be a problem for the reader. although it is easier to type dot dot dot , than say: dot space new sentence

amorph. better move this to the Grammar forum. hehe