the unofficial college football thread

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
who's jazzed about the coming college football season? i know i am as teams across the country are starting their first official practices. for me, baseball can't end soon enough. i want, ney, i need me some football.

well, most of the polls have been out for some time now and i'm surprised that i haven't seen any post on this topic yet, but fvck it, i can contain my excitement no longer. I pretty much agree with the coaches poll below, although i think you could probably swap around the top three, possibly four spots, and still make a good argument for whatever combination you came up with. i will take exception with k-state being ranked as high as the are. they lose a lot of key people to just pick up where they left off. other than that, looks pretty good to me. your thoughts and predictions.

1. USC

2. Oklahoma

3. LSU

4. Georgia

5. Miami (Fla.)

6. Florida State

7. Michigan

8. Texas

9. Ohio State

10. Florida

11. West Virginia

12. Iowa

13. Kansas State

14. Tennessee

15. California

16. Clemson

17. Missouri

18. Auburn

19. Virginia

20. Maryland

21. Utah

22. Wisconsin

23. Minnesota

24. Purdue

25. Oregon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 232
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    USC all the way, baby!
  • Reply 2 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

USC all the way, baby!

UNC all the way, baby!
  • Reply 3 of 232
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

who's jazzed about the coming college football season?

Me.

Hook 'em.
  • Reply 4 of 232
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I hope to hell Iowa's overrated at 12.

Another "rebuilding" year for the 'Clones-and stud DE Jason Berryman is suspended for getting arrested twice in a month. Dumbass!

Freshman QB Bret Meyer's supposed to be good, at least.

J
  • Reply 5 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

USC all the way, baby!

love for my sooners to match up with your boys in the orange this year. looking at your schedule, unless something sneaks up and bights you in the ass, i see no reason why you guys won't make the trip to miami. but, you never know with this game sometimes, cause i couldn't see us getting beat by k-state the way we did either. any who, should be fun none the less. bring on bowling green. let's get this thing started already.
  • Reply 6 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Me.

Hook 'em.

that's the spirit. keep that chin up, groover old buddy. it's not easy being a texas fan.
  • Reply 7 of 232
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Go Bears! I would love to trounce USC again, just like last year.

I'm sure USC will do everything they can to not let Cal beat them again.

We shall see.
  • Reply 8 of 232
    It won't even be close. Texas will win at least four more games than they play just because they are from the Great State of Texas. Hookem Horns.

FSU, Florida, WVU, Clemson, and Wisconsin get the early dibs on being overrated. I'm not sure I follow the logic of rating WVU highly because the Big East is now terrible. That makes them more likely to have a good record but it doesn't make them any more likely to be a good team, perhaps even less likely.
  • Reply 9 of 232
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
  • Reply 10 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by G4Dude

i'm really looking forward to seeing your team in september. you guys were a good last minute addition to our schedule. should be a fun game.

go sooners
  • Reply 11 of 232
    Quote:

it's not easy being a texas fan.

It's pretty damned easy to be a Texas fan.

OU has our number in football, but past that we're the most successful university in the nation (in the sports that people care about, anyway).
  • Reply 12 of 232
    Quote:

It's pretty damned easy to be a Texas fan.

OU has our number in football, but past that we're the most successful university in the nation (in the sports that people care about, anyway).

too true as of late. i hope we are able to reassert ourselves over you once again in basketball since stumbling this past season. injuries killed us last year.
  • Reply 13 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

love for my sooners to match up with your boys in the orange this year. looking at your schedule, unless something sneaks up and bights you in the ass, i see no reason why you guys won't make the trip to miami. but, you never know with this game sometimes, cause i couldn't see us getting beat by k-state the way we did either. any who, should be fun none the less. bring on bowling green. let's get this thing started already.

I can no longer contain myself....I really thought it should have been someone else getting their ass-whoopin' from the Tigers last year in the Sugar Bowl, but I guess that was out of our hands. I honestly thought OU would have put on a better showing in that game. I would like to have seen a real nail-biter. I think LSU's Defense was vastly underated even going into the bowl game last year. Gonna be an interesting year to come.
  • Reply 14 of 232
    USC would have whipped LSU's ass, but that's all speculation (even though it is true). They also have a nice schedule this year. Not too easy, but definitely not too tough.

OU has a relatively tough schedule, but it isn't a big leap in logic to see them winning all but 1 (UT, @K-State or @OSU-Cowboys).

I like OU to finish with another BCS win this year, but OU is still vulnerable to an aggressive ground game with the defense they run. As K-State showed, just hit them in the mouth early with the run and you have a good shot at winning.

Georgia will not get out of the season with less than 2 losses.

Michigan has a great schedule until the last game @OSU-Buckeyes, I could see them undefeated going into that game.

LSU will have 1.5 losses at the end of the season, maybe 2.5 (@Florida, @Arkansas, @Auburn, Alabama).
  • Reply 15 of 232
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    go purdue, maybe we can have more goal posts tossed in the wabash by drunks...wait a minute...GO NOTRE-DAME

</local humor>

I hope Purdue does good this year, it would be a shame to put on bad shows in their newly renovated ($$$) stadium
  • Reply 16 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

I can no longer contain myself....I really thought it should have been someone else getting their ass-whoopin' from the Tigers last year in the Sugar Bowl, but I guess that was out of our hands. I honestly thought OU would have put on a better showing in that game. I would like to have seen a real nail-biter. I think LSU's Defense was vastly underated even going into the bowl game last year. Gonna be an interesting year to come.

you guys played a hell of a game to be sure, but winning by one touchdown was hardly an ass whopping especially since we had the opportunity to tie late in the game. we played like shit in the first half and it killed us. why we tried to get cute and not continue to run the ball in that final drive was very frustrating as your defensive line was on its heels and exhausted. add to that the fact that white was beat to hell by ksu the prior game, only to be smacked around more by you guys. broken foot, messed up shoulder and hand do not an effective QB make. but hey, that's the breaks. we got there, hopefully we will get there again. with almost our entire offense returning and the D only losing 4 starters, i like our chances this year.
  • Reply 17 of 232
    Quote:

USC would have whipped LSU's ass, but that's all speculation (even though it is true). They also have a nice schedule this year. Not too easy, but definitely not too tough.

OU has a relatively tough schedule, but it isn't a big leap in logic to see them winning all but 1 (UT, @K-State or @OSU-Cowboys).

I like OU to finish with another BCS win this year, but OU is still vulnerable to an aggressive ground game with the defense they run. As K-State showed, just hit them in the mouth early with the run and you have a good shot at winning.

Georgia will not get out of the season with less than 2 losses.

Michigan has a great schedule until the last game @OSU-Buckeyes, I could see them undefeated going into that game.

LSU will have 1.5 losses at the end of the season, maybe 2.5 (@Florida, @Arkansas, @Auburn, Alabama).

USC would have fallen under LSU's defensive pressure just as did the mighty OU (I have a lot of respect for OU, just to set the record straight). I think we also have the tightest case for true national champions since we did best the season-long front-runners in the national championship. Lets all face it last year was a perfect example of the problems associated with college football polls and bowl decisions. There needs to be a more decisive system implemented so that the two best teams are squaring off in the final game. I personally would have much rathered to see LSU and USC in that game if only for the loss that OU received against KSU. It sucks argueing over what would have happened (LSU would have whooped that ass )
  • Reply 18 of 232
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Go Bears

Cal all the way. Heisman Trophy for Rodgers.
  • Reply 19 of 232
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Go Hokies!
  • Reply 20 of 232
    GO BUCKS!!