Just order PB 15": Why 5 days to ship?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just curious why it takes apple 5 days to ship my PB, which I just ordered in a standard config. I didn't think that the standard configs were built to order.

SM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    So it shipped yesterday (2 days). Curious...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Well, I'm glad it shipped to you early!

I have no idea why Apple do many of the things they do. I love the products, but I never understand the customer service.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smatanovic

Just curious why it takes apple 5 days to ship my PB, which I just ordered in a standard config. I didn't think that the standard configs were built to order.

SM

It could be that Apple doesn't have any PBs in it's inventory and it's coming straight from the manufacturing plant, or it could be that Apple is behind a couple days in orders. There's nothing wrong with a 5 day turn-around.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I'd be upset about a 5-day turn around if I needed it sooner. Also, most retaielrs have it in stock, and could have shipped it to me the same day I placed the order.

At this point, I'm not complaining, as I won't be able to get around to setting things up for a couple of day anyway. Still, I find a 5-day turnaround unusual for a computer that is not BTO.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Might be because of back to school demands. My PB BTO was shipped in about 3 days back in April. There is also a major flow of orders moving to resellers as well as the Apple Store. It's a hot product and Apple will be working hard to move sales out the door. The 5 days quoted was probably to be conservative when giving you an estimate. they look better beating the estimate and missing it!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    It just arrived. Now I have to sit here and stare at the box across the office for the next 10 hours...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I finally had the time to unpack the new PB amd set it up. What a beautiful machine. I had my dell d400 right next to it for reference to passwords, wireless eettings, etc., and it can't even compare. Tranfering files from our old imac using airport was a snap, albeit a bit slow. I haven't had the chance to really put it through its paces yet, but my first impression is simply WOW.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Don't worry the symptoms you are experiencing are the effects of the "first Apple impression." This is normal. The next phase is the "why can't it be this easy on PCs?" And then "why does everyone use PCs?"
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Hell, I've been using macs since day one (Apple's day one, that is) but this is my first powerbook. If I could work in a mac computing envoronment, I would. Unfortunately, we use certain wondows-only apps that do not work well over VPC.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    It says ON or BEFORE....

If you can't wait you should have bought it in store.

Glad to see it shipped in 2 days though.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smatanovic

SM

I guess Apple can absolutely GUARANTEE that it will ship in 5 days. Better to surprise the customer and ship early than to delay the shipment longer than expected...

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    ikaika Posts: 52member
    My PB order just got delayed beyond the 5 days.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ika

My PB order just got delayed beyond the 5 days.

What did you order?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    1.33GH 12".
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Nice machine. I wonder if anyone is having delays with 12"ers?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    djmbdjmb Posts: 120member
    When i ordered my 15' PB, it took em a week or so to build it. and i did normal shipping. they sent it from China and i got it the next day, which was amazing.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Hmm.. I got the shipping notification this morning, but now they say it will arrive within ten days from ship date instead of the original five. I wonder why...