nVidia 6800 and noise

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm planning to get a G5 for an audio recording workstation. Since I'm thinking about the 30" monitor to go with it, that means the nVidia GeForce 6800 graphics card. I'm wondering if that big graphics card has an equally big (and noisy) fan on it to keep it cool. If it adds a significant amount of noise to the case it might be a poor decision for an audio workstation.

Anyone who has one of these or has seen one care to comment?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    d3ctd3ct Posts: 56member
    i am also wondering about this card, it seems like they rushed it out or something in my opinion, i am also aiming for a powermac and the 30" screen for an audio AND video/photo workstation. i wana kno what people think about this card, im hoping ati comes out with a card for the 30" or something, i wana see benchmarks or very detailed info about this nvidia card, what is it capable of? why is it necessary for the 30" ? details details and more detailed info plzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 2 of 19
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Can't comment on the noise. As for performance, there's a bunch of reviews on the PC versions of the 6800 Ultra to see what it's capable of... easily one of the best two video cards along with the X800 XT. Some reviews have made comments on the noise, though nothing detailed.

I'd think that the 6800 Ultra would beat an (if it existed) X800 XT type card in terms of performance on the Mac as Nvidia cards seem to have very good OpenGL performance.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by D3ct

why is it necessary for the 30" ?

I understand this is because the 30" requires more bandwidth than a standard DVI cable can provide, and the 6800 is the only card with a Dual-DVI cable connection right now.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The GeForce 6800 GPU isn't necessary for a 30" display, only its dual DVI capability. So why restrict dual DVI to the top end card, when a Radeon 9600/GeForce 5700 could also do it while not enroaching on the PCI slots' space?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

The GeForce 6800 GPU isn't necessary for a 30" display, only its dual DVI capability. So why restrict dual DVI to the top end card, when a Radeon 9600/GeForce 5700 could also do it while not enroaching on the PCI slots' space?

Probably because pushing 4 million pixels would stress a lower-end card. Anyways, if you're gonna spend $3500 on a display, plus $2500-$3000 for a G5, what's another $500?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    The reason is more likely that Apple needed a dual link DVI capable card and was in the middle of creating the Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra, so Apple just added the feature to the card. The other cards (Geforce 5200, Radeon 9600XT and Radeon 9800XT) were already created and being manufactured. Apple or ATI could have created another card, but that would have meant additional design work and costs.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

i am also wondering about this card, it seems like they rushed it out or something in my opinion, i am also aiming for a powermac and the 30" screen for an audio AND video/photo workstation. i wana kno what people think about this card, im hoping ati comes out with a card for the 30" or something, i wana see benchmarks or very detailed info about this nvidia card, what is it capable of? why is it necessary for the 30" ? details details and more detailed info plzzzzzzzz

Why don't you bother making your post comprehendable? You can't waste time just to add a couple periods, and make your post less obnoxious?

Also, here's a Q&A session with Nvidia.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Why don't you bother making your post comprehendable? You can't waste time just to add a couple periods, and make your post less obnoxious?

Also, here's a Q&A session with Nvidia.

ahahaha, i love psuedo-intellectuals such as urself

"You can't waste time just to add a couple of periods,..."

wtf kinda english is that? ur here trying to raise ur self esteem, or social status?, by justifying ur own intelligence through means of degrading someone else u ASSUME to be of a lesser intellectual calibre than u: ur pointing out grammatical errors yet u cant even form a proper sentence? get off the high horse kid. just becuz ur brain is malfunctioning and u cant comprehend something unless it follows the unwritten laws of english writing, doesnt mean other people cant

i type how i Express Myself. i believe that alphabets, grammar, etcetc, and all that garbage r more disabling someones ability to comprehend peoples tru feelings or emotions toward something by forcing everyone to follow a standard

u ARE a standard. ur just another statistic in societys growing list of ignorant, slow witted human scum with false senses of superiority living their niche and thinking themselves to be high and mighty because of it.

when u learn education and intelligence r 2 Very different things, then u can begin to think ur opinion matters to me, child.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling, by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all. Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli. Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    ....so....

6800... noise.... hmmm....
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling, by Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all. Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli. Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

haha, awesome
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

ahahaha, i love psuedo-intellectuals such as urself

"You can't waste time just to add a couple of periods,..."

wtf kinda english is that? ur here trying to raise ur self esteem, or social status?, by justifying ur own intelligence through means of degrading someone else u ASSUME to be of a lesser intellectual calibre than u: ur pointing out grammatical errors yet u cant even form a proper sentence? get off the high horse kid. just becuz ur brain is malfunctioning and u cant comprehend something unless it follows the unwritten laws of english writing, doesnt mean other people cant

i type how i Express Myself. i believe that alphabets, grammar, etcetc, and all that garbage r more disabling someones ability to comprehend peoples tru feelings or emotions toward something by forcing everyone to follow a standard

u ARE a standard. ur just another statistic in societys growing list of ignorant, slow witted human scum with false senses of superiority living their niche and thinking themselves to be high and mighty because of it.

when u learn education and intelligence r 2 Very different things, then u can begin to think ur opinion matters to me, child.

I'm a pseudo-intellectual because I can spell?

Calm down.

Maybe we come from different cultures, and in your culture, spelling correctly is a taboo. But I doubt that, so don't take a suggestion as a blow to your pride.

I'm just pointing you in the right direction. This isn't AIM. So don't type like it is, and people will take your posts more seriously, instead of passing them off as 'some ranting eight year old's post'.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

I'm a pseudo-intellectual because I can spell?

Calm down.

Maybe we come from different cultures, and in your culture, spelling correctly is a tabu. But I doubt that, so don't take a suggestion as a blow to your pride.

I'm just pointing you in the right direction. This isn't AIM. So don't type like it is, and people will take your posts more seriously, instead of passing them off as 'some ranting eight year old's post'.

since when is it grammaticaly correc to begin a sentence with "but", anyway i dont mind the people who would pass my post off as a ranting eight year olds,they prob didnt kno anythin in the first place ;]
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

since when is it grammaticaly correc to begin a sentence with "but", anyway i dont mind the people who would pass my post off as a ranting eight year olds,they prob didnt kno anythin in the first place ;]

Should I start a thread asking the membership of AI for its opinion of who will win this pissing contest, or can you agree to stop all by your self? I'm not having much fun derailing this thread, and neither should you. If you want to continue this 1-on-1 flamewar, PM me.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

spelling correctly is a tabu.

It's taboo.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    So.... 6800... noise...

• Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

It's taboo.

I've seen it spelled both ways, evidently one was wrong.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

So.... 6800... noise...

I doubt that it will exceed the current standard of GPU noise. I think it's variable speed, too, so I don't think it'll be even audible during normal use. It may crank up during gaming and the like.

I'm thinking of ordering one...but is there a cheaper alternative to the Apple DVI-ADC adapter?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

So.... 6800... noise...

Your going to have to wait a while, the Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra hasn't shipped yet, so no-one has one.