Help with Smart Playlists

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey guys, need a little help in setting up a smart playlist. Basically what I want to set up is this:

Genre is W OR X OR Y OR Z

AND my rating is greater than three stars

AND limit to 50 songs most recently added

I want:

the 50 most recently added songs

rating of greater than 3 stars

in any of the 4 genres

The problem I am running into is that there is no "OR" boolean possible in the smart playlist settings. I can set it up to match any of the 4 genres, but then I cannot force, on top of that, a requirement of greater than 3 stars, while still limiting to 50 songs most recently added.

Any help please?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Works for me, here is a sample screenshot of what needs to be done!

• Reply 2 of 6
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Thanks for the reply, but I don't see in the screenshot how I can limit the smart playlist to a limited number of genres.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

Hey guys, need a little help in setting up a smart playlist. Basically what I want to set up is this:

Genre is W OR X OR Y OR Z

AND my rating is greater than three stars

AND limit to 50 songs most recently added

I want:

the 50 most recently added songs

rating of greater than 3 stars

in any of the 4 genres

The problem I am running into is that there is no "OR" boolean possible in the smart playlist settings. I can set it up to match any of the 4 genres, but then I cannot force, on top of that, a requirement of greater than 3 stars, while still limiting to 50 songs most recently added.

Any help please?

This is the only way I can think of:

Do an mass-edit of all your songs in the genres you want, and put "For Playlist X" in the Comment field.

Hope that works.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    You could also do it a different way, but you'd need 2 playlists. Make 1 smart playlist that contains only the genres of songs you want. Then, make another smart playlist like the screenshot I've made above, only change "Comment Contains" to "Playlist Is" and select the other playlist you just created.

This might be better because then you don't have to manually change any Comment fields.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

This is the only way I can think of:

Do an mass-edit of all your songs in the genres you want, and put "For Playlist X" in the Comment field.

Hope that works.

In the words of those two Irish dudes in a recent Guiness Commerical BRILLIANT!. Thanks much for the tip. I have adapted your suggestion to my problem and it works wonderfully.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Oops, read genre, and then someone at work asked me about date added stuff and that is what I put up, the solution has been found though, so I am just apologizing.